Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dawkins controversial again.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,002 ✭✭✭✭Esel

kylith wrote: »
    It is hard to pick up on sarcasm without one.
    You must have missed the non-smilie 'talking bull' bit of my post.

That, and the mystery thing... ;):pac::):D

Not your ornery onager

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

My take on this is that if you want to be a TD and be party to making important decisions about how our society is shaped, you automatically assume that some people will take a position at extreme opposition to you. If the threat of excommunication is too much for you to handle, don't enter politics.

I dont necessarily disagree with this however, when a politicians job is on the line they will more than often take the easier route and try to appease as many people as possible. Just look at how Bertie changed tact post the 2004 local election drubbing FF received. His policy shift (give everyone what they want basically) is what pretty much bankrupted the state. Today we have the Irish Labour party playing lip service to the PS unions with promises to reverse pay cuts...even though we are still borrowing money and just out of a bailout. Would you agree that with the same sentiment here regarding these issues?

For me, I would rather there was no game i.e the state does not act like Santa Claus and hand 'goodies' funded by the tax payer to their most loyal stakeholders.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,987 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

• Registered Users Posts: 33,905 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Czarcasm wrote: »
    Let's ignore the Catholic view then

Wish we could do that next time we have an abortion referendum! 'The RCC says whatever' is still regarded as a powerful argument by some people.

The official catholic view is short, simple, absolutist, and completely bloody useless in real life which is much more complicated than black and white. The only people who can really live it are the old, celibate men who preach it and for whom it has no effect on their lives anyway.

and go with the generally accepted scientific definition of when life begins as at implantation.

Going to need a heck of a citation for that.

Then the two scenarios are still different as the embryo has already been implanted in natural conception, and hasn't been implanted in IVF.

With IVF one can have the information much earlier. I don't see choosing not to implant a Downs embryo as at all immoral, but I don't see choosing to abort a Downs foetus as at all immoral either.

I'm not sure how you make the leap from early miscarriage to downs as 'natures mistakes' as that would imply that nature was sentient, when a 'mistake' in human evolution is merely a matter of perspective.

No I was referring to what many people (when they speak of it at all, which is rarely) use to dismiss miscarriage - which is far more common than abortion. Yet the anti-choice crowd tell us how precious every fertilised egg is, which certainly isn't borne* out by how society treats women who miscarried, or how we historically treated stillbirth.

* no pun intended, etc

Your body and the way it functions could hardly be described as an accident. You evolved that way, in the very same way as if a person is born with downs, a 'genetic mistake of evolution' is merely a matter of perspective.

Downs has nothing to do with evolution, or indeed genetics as it is not heritable, it is an error of cell development in the fertilised egg.

You can see how Dawkins moral argument really doesn't hold up very well already under examination, and that's even before we've addressed the question of genetic mutations and disorders and whether it is ethical and logical to abort and try again, and the effect that would have on the balance of evolution.

Only because you've massively over-estimated the 'suffering' of the average trying to conceive couple, the vast majority of couples not using contraception will conceive within a year. It's not like most people find it unpleasant to have sex for another month.
    IVF is chancy and very expensive and few couples can afford financially or emotionally to put themselves through it indefinitely.

Now if you asked Dawkins what he thought in that scenario (i.e. an IVF foetus is found to have a major genetic or developmental defect at 20 weeks or so) I doubt his answer would be the same, it's not the same question. A couple in that situation face the real prospect of not conceiving again and that will weigh into their decision.

I don't see any relevance to what you call 'the balance of evolution' as those affected by Downs or similar serious genetic/developmental issues rarely reproduce or rarely even can.

I'm not sure why you're egging to bring the religious perspective into this tbh.

Like it or not it still has a huge influence on many people in this society, even among
    some who would no longer be believers. Also claims were made (on twitter etc. not necessarily here) that he was trying to impose his views on society, etc. so it's only fair to compare and contrast with those organisations who actually DO try to impose their view on society.

Now, because Dawkins only looked at the negative consequences concerning the welfare of a person born with downs

No he didn't. You're only looking at the individual, you need to consider the family and society as a whole too i.e. the sum total

The only logical conclusion, that can be drawn from Dawkins point of view, is that humanity needs to stop procreating now, before we further add to the sum total of human suffering, because even attempting to procreate can be stressful, and add to the sum total of human suffering. If we do that though, human beings would eventually become extinct.

As a parent of young kids I find this idea deliciously ironic :pac:
    sure, we would have had a lot less stress, expense, and pain and suffering on my wife's part, if we'd decided to have no kids but then there'd be no upside either (I'm told there is one eventually :p ) Sure, choosing not to have any kids is a valid choice for the individual, not so much if we all do it, but the world population is growing strongly

What he was comparing was not Downs child vs. no child, but Downs child vs. going on to have a non-Downs child.

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,952 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

NIMAN wrote: »

Brendan o Connor calling someone a 'whingebag', and using cognitive dissonance to pretend having a DS child is only as difficult as any other child, does not an excellent argument make.

I didn't spot the argument in the article to be honest.

You know when people talk about 'designer babies' with blue eyes, 6 foot 2 tall, strong, super intelligent and so on. How often do people say 'oh and you could make sure you have a DS baby'.

One valid point is that Dawkins said having the child is immoral in the tweet, but said it is the choice of the individual in the full argument. These 2 positions are not mutually exclusive but they are not necessarily consistent either. It is of course possible that he used hyperbole in the 'private tweet. Look through the text message conversations on your phone and see if you could stand over every comment you make in private.

This whole thing is bullsh1t. DS is not a desirable trait in an offspring. What Dawkins did was say his personal opinion and caused offence.

Worst case scenario, he changed his opinion about moral outcomes. Outside opinions often cause changes in moral positions. Big bloody Whoop.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Brian Shanahan

Dawkins types are ten a penny, it's not as if they have some rare exclusive quality or talent.

So people who massively contribute to our scientific understanding are as common as muck then?

If that were true then religion would have died a long time ago, and we wouldn't have people as credulous as you spouting on about it, now would we?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Ralphdejones

So people who massively contribute to our scientific understanding are as common as muck then?

If that were true then religion would have died a long time ago, and we wouldn't have people as credulous as you spouting on about it, now would we?

I'm not the slightest bit religious and never have been, so you'll have to try your Dawkins style religion obsessed slurs on someone else. Science is not the one pontificating to us all it's immoral not to abort a person with Downs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,535 ✭✭✭swampgas

Here's a thought experiment that I've done before, in a very serious way, thinking about what would happen if I discovered that I was to be a parent to a DS child. This is purely from my own perspective, and not intended to be a template for anyone else.

I imagined many years into the future speaking to our as yet unconceived child. We were thinking of having one child only.

Option 1:
    "Well, when your mother was pregnant the first time it turned out that the foetus had Downs syndrome. We thought really hard about, and decided to abort and try again. The second time she got pregnant you were the result, and fortunately you're a normal healthy child".

Child thinks: I might never have existed. Or I might be sitting here with Downs. Lucky for me that my parents decided to abort and try again.

Option 2:
    "Well, when your mother was pregnant the first time it turned out that the foetus had Downs syndrome. We thought really hard about, and decided to go ahead with the pregnancy. It hasn't been easy but we wouldn't change it for the world."

Child thinks: I might never have existed. Lucky for me that my parents didn't abort and try again. Or maybe I might be sitting here without Downs? Is that so lucky?

In both options, the final outcome is only one child - but one child might go on to be an independent adult, maybe having a family of their own, and one won't. Either way, either I have to justify bringing a child into the world with a significant disability, or I have justify aborting a foetus so that another, separate foetus will have a chance of life. Because once the child is born (or the abortion performed), that's it, there's no going back and changing your mind.

Which is the moral choice? In my case, I agree with Dawkins - if it's a binary choice between a normal child and a DS child, why not create life in a way which gives the child the best chances, and which gives the parents what they really want?

That's the message I take from Dawkins in this particular instance, and while it may be controversial as it's such an emotive topic, I can't see how he is the monster he is being portrayed to be either.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

NIMAN wrote: »

I'm no fan of dawkins. I appreciate this is an emotional topic but that seems littered with strawmen and outrages. For no other reason than your typical column rabble complaint and pandering. I loved his article when his daughter Mary was born. Absolutely loved. That one above there, now that's just poor and lazy.

I actually hate this culture of taking people literally on a few words. It's the reason why politicians are nothing more than robotic soap boxes saying the same party lines. If they deviate it'll be all over the media*. Heaven forbid forgetting the fact that people are human, make mistakes, choose words poorly, say one thing when they mean another, publish concepts with poorly illustrated examples or choices of analogies. This fascination with quote picking is rather tiring. Dawkins actually explained what he meant but people still seem obsessed with shoving the knife in what he said but clearly didn't actually mean.

*Breaking News: Politician says something that contradicts just about everything else he's ever said or done. Let's quote it as if it's true and reflects his actual opinion on stuff showing what a twisted inhumane little worm he is!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Brian Shanahan

I'm not the slightest bit religious and never have been

Yeah right, and I'm the Queen of Sheba.

Pull the other one mate, its got bells on.

• Advertisement

Yeah right, and I'm the Queen of Sheba.

Pull the other one mate, its got bells on.

And there we have it, in true Dawkins style, when all the strawmen and red herrings are stripped away, all that's left is the ad hominem.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

swampgas wrote: »
    Which is the moral choice? In my case, I agree with Dawkins - if it's a binary choice between a normal child and a DS child, why not create life in a way which gives the child the best chances, and which gives the parents what they really want?

Personally, if I had the same decision to make, I'd undoubtedly make the same choice. Main reasons being that I'm lazy and selfish. This is not to my mind the same thing as saying the alternative choice is immoral. Once you start qualifying your choice with an if what you're actually doing is narrowing the context. Dawkins doesn't, and hence puts not aborting the DS foetus as generally immoral. I think this is wrong, as there are many other contexts that need to be considered. For example, if the option was a DS baby or no baby at all, your imagined scenario might favour keeping the DS baby.

I would suggest judging the parenting choices of others as immoral is anti-choice, and something that should be done with extreme caution. I have friends with a DS child, and know a few others, and would consider labelling their choice as immoral as reprehensible. There's also a young lad with DS in my daughters class, and the whole class tend to rally around him when he's having difficulty. As a result, the kids are learning to be more caring individuals than if he wasn't there. So while there is a social burden in terms of cost and effort, there are also some hidden benefits that may not be obvious at first glance.

I think Dawkins' own criteria of happiness and suffering are also missed, as while there is quite a bit of hardship, both the parents and DS child I know are happy. Given Dawkins is a man of science, one would also like to see the results of studies showing that those with DS and their parents are significantly less happy than anyone else, as to me this is pure speculation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

If an early miscarriage can be so commonly and glibly dismissed as one of 'nature's mistakes' then isn't Down's one of nature's mistakes?
    The difference from "nature"s point of view (if it could have one) is that the DS embryo is viable but the miscarriage is not. So the miscarrying embryo has some terminal problem which makes it "incompatible with life" or perhaps the mother has a problem (eg injury, or starvation in earlier eras) which means the pregnancy is doomed. Therefore "nature" does not waste resources by continuing with the pregnancy. The DS embryo has no such problem.

If you want to say having the DS child will be "a mistake" because having it is more work, and it will be less intelligent and more ugly than other possible offspring, then that may be true, if controversial.
    But if you take this argument to its logical conclusion, then people should be actively encouraged by society to choose "designer babies". Whether by more rigorous amniocentesis and selective abortions, or choice of sperm/egg donors, or genetic tampering and enhancement of their own gametes. Or by using whatever techniques become available. So this becomes an argument for eugenics, which society generally labels "a bad thing".
    IMO its a whole "can of worms" that society will have to face up to sooner or later. These kind of choices mostly are fairly recent developments. Equivalent choices are opening up at the other end of life too, ie whether to keep someone artificially alive when physically and mentally they are really "gone".
    The only logical conclusion, that can be drawn from Dawkins point of view, is that humanity needs to stop procreating now, before we further add to the sum total of human suffering, because even attempting to procreate can be stressful, and add to the sum total of human suffering. If we do that though, human beings would eventually become extinct.
    I think you may be doing it wrong :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

And there we have it, in true Dawkins style, when all the strawmen and red herrings are stripped away, all that's left is the ad hominem.

What are his "type" might I ask?

Nodin wrote: »
    What are his "type" might I ask?

The type that thinks its 'immoral' not abort someone with Downs

recedite wrote: »
    IMO its a whole "can of worms" that society will have to face up to sooner or later.

World population statistics certainly make for grim reading. Technology has rendered a further world war out of the question which leaves eugenics or perhaps a bird flu pandemic as humankind's best hope of long term survival. The old 'Go forth and multiply' line obviously needs a rethink...
    I think you may be doing it wrong :D

One sperm talking to another; "Are we nearly at the embryo yet, I'm totally knackered?" "'Afraid not, we've only just passed the oesophagus" :)

And that kind of person is "ten a penny"?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭jackboy

I think this whole debate is just an extension of the usual pro life / pro choice argument. Most abortions are carried out for far less serious issues than the possability of a disabled child.

Turtwig wrote: »
    I actually hate this culture of taking people literally on a few words.

Unfortunately, with pundits and celebrities constantly trying to grab our attention in a competitive media environment via the likes of twitter, it is unavoidable. Cynically, I rather think Dawkins courts controversy and would question how much of his livelihood is dependant on staying in the public eye.

jackboy wrote: »
    I think this whole debate is just an extension of the usual pro life / pro choice argument. Most abortions are carried out for far less serious issues than the possability of a disabled child.

Its moved on from that to a new level, now it's immoral not to abort people with Downs

• Advertisement

Its................Downs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

Nodin wrote: »

Well, one in ten at least anyway, in America and Europe, if Dawkins is to be believed.

One in ten pregnant women abort the foetus on finding out that it has Downs Syndrome.

I would like to see a source for his claims that the medical profession recommend this course of action.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭jackboy

Its moved on from that to a new level, now it's immoral not to abort people with Downs

Well, that is just Dawkins opinion. A lot of people think all abortions are immoral. A lot of other people think that it is moral for a woman to abort a child for any reason she might have. If Dawkins hadn't focused on a particular condition his opinion would not be seen as so dramatic.

Well, one in ten at least anyway, in America and Europe, if Dawkins is to be believed.

One in ten pregnant women abort the foetus on finding out that it has Downs Syndrome.

I would like to see a source for his claims that the medical profession recommend this course of action.

By Europe, I'm kinda guessing that Ireland has opted out of that one... ;)

When my wife (then 38) was pregnant with youngest, it was the same year Ireland was hosting the special Olympics, and there was a massive poster with a young girl with Downs just out her window. Delighted that youngest was and is healthy, but it was a worry at the same time. I very much doubt that if the foetus had been DS there would have been an option of a termination, but morality aside the option should be there. It does rather illustrate how moot this argument is in the local context. Pro-choice still has bigger things to worry about in Ireland than the careless tweets of one R. Dawkins.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,842 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

smacl wrote: »
    By Europe, I'm kinda guessing that Ireland has opted out of that one... ;)

When my wife (then 38) was pregnant with youngest, it was the same year Ireland was hosting the special Olympics, and there was a massive poster with a young girl with Downs just out her window. Delighted that youngest was and is healthy, but it was a worry at the same time. I very much doubt that if the foetus had been DS there would have been an option of a termination, but morality aside the option should be there. It does rather illustrate how moot this argument is in the local context. Pro-choice still has bigger things to worry about in Ireland than the careless tweets of one R. Dawkins.

I agree, I'm willing to guess that on next Friday a certain Indo columnist will produce bile that's so acidic it has a negative pH.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

I agree, I'm willing to guess that on next Friday a certain Indo columnist will produce bile that's so acidic it has a negative pH.

Can you feel it in your, *ahem*, Waters? The Waters will break? :p

/gets coat :o

Honestly, some day that man will break the Internet, then we'll all be sorry :pac:

• Site Banned Posts: 8,331 ✭✭✭Brown Bomber

Jamie Carragher's mother had been pressured into having an abortion due to illnesses he was wrongly pre-natal diagnosed with. He went on to represent his country at the highest level, was a European champion and has given far more happiness to the world than that bitter, spiteful little bigot Dawkins ever has.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Jeremiahh

Easily the most rational comment made about him and his knack for stirring controversy as a major leader in the nu-atheist movement is that he really needs to understand that he's going to be seen as a crackpot if he keeps saying stupid things. This would obviously be dangerous, as disbelief is a rising, SOCIAL movement and him talking about things he doesn't understand are going to damage the reputation and beauty of denouncing religion.
    To address what he actually said, perhaps it's logical from a biological standpoint. Not moral. This is not morality. If you derive your morality from books on evolution, then you are crazy. We learn morality from empathy with our fellows. I think I'm going to distance myself even further from the nu-atheist community, in hopes that humanism isn't represented by equally foolish leaders.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Geomy

Dawkins can be an intelligent idiot at the best ofttimes.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 38 icecold1066

I fully agree with Richard Dawkins.

My own opinion is that parents who would knowingly give birth to a DS child are sadists. They would inflict a completely avoidable constricted existence on their own child and on themselves as carers and on society which would have to pay for this utterly needless and avoidable tragedy. Such a couple in my view are utterly immoral and selfish and ultimately cowards. I would go so far as to suggest their determination to bring such a child into the world despite knowing the consequences is pathological evil.

I think it fulfills some need for victim hood and a perverse quest for power and recognition.

Most sane and sensible and I would call moral people when told by their doctor that the unborn child will be mentally or physically handicapped would abort the pregnancy and indeed this is in fact what occurs in the vast majority of cases.

Living DS individuals should be cared for of course and their parents assisted but in future every effort must be made to educate and dissuade future parents from ever allowing such a child to be born.

Advertisement