Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

gear will not engage?

• 11-05-2013 9:43pm
    Site Banned Posts: 344 ✭✭

hi,

I have a 1998 vw sharan diesel. The other day it stopped. You can put in into any gear allright but it is as if it is still in neutral as nothing happens. Rev it up in first or second but nothing!!! Just neutral. If on a fall it will roll like in neutral. The gear handle feels like it is popping into gear though. Could it be a drive shaft or something?

Tks a lot,

John

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭dieselbug

These do have a well known issue with the splines wearing on the drive but I would expect that you should be hearing some grinding noise if this is the problem. I remember having an issue with the gear linkage on one that turned out to be something very simple (cant remember the details) The driveshaft splines would be the first thing I'd check. If this is the problem it's an expensive fix but you will probably buy the parts cheaper at Ford (Galaxy) than VW.

If you give your location someone on here may recommend a reliable garage in your area to check it out for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 977 ✭✭✭Wheelnut

Apply the handbrake firmly, start the engine, put it in any gear and look underneath. If the problem is a driveshaft (or joint) you will see the shaft turning.

For safety sake you should look in from the side rather than getting under or going in front of the car. You don't want to get run over by your own car if it moves suddenly.

Advertisement