Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ban hoodies?

• 30-04-2010 1:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭

The item of clothing, not the people who wear them.

We all, and by all I mean everyone, believe that most of the crime in this country is perpetrated by yobs in hoodies. While this is almost certainly true, at least for violent crime, I came to wonder if it was the individuals who were to blame or did the hoodie, itself, have some part to play. I decided to find out.

It was to this end that, yesterday, I donned a hoodie for the first time in my life and decided to hit the mean streets of Clontarf.

Almost immediattely, I though I overheard two wealthy looking pensioners talking about killing my parents. I had an almost uncontrollable urge to stick them with a screwdriver that somehow had found it's way into my hoodie pocket. Somehow, I managed to overcome my ire and passed by the plotting would be murderers, but not before shouldering one of them to the pavement.

I decided I needed to get some cigarettes to calm down as there was adrenaline pumping around my body. So, I went into the shop. Something weird happened. I had a complete blackout and came to about 20 minutes later. There was blood on my fists. How the hell did that get there? I reached for a cigareete and found a wad of cash which I felt certain wasn't mine. Used 5s, 10s and 20s. About 600 quid in all. Weird.

It was 40 mins later as I emerged from a head shop that I felt that I was losing the run of myself, being sucked down. A feeling of, not so much invincibility but more, nihilism had taken control of me. I trembled as I ripped the hoodie off. With that, I flagged down a taxi and returned home, shaken, but alive.

So, there it is. A case study of the power of the hoodie.

Should they be banned?

I, for one, say yes.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭Indubitable

I love hoodies.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭weiland79

Really?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

No, they shouldn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭General Zod

We all, and by all I mean everyone, believe that most of the crime in this country is perpetrated by yobs in hoodies.

Never seen a banker in a hoodie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

How on earth will millions of middle-class male teenagers be able to "hang tough" if we ban hoodies?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Ban hoodies?? :confused:

Why? Just because people portray hoodies = scum doesnt mean that everyone who has one is.

Kind of sensational to suggest a ban.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

stovelid wrote: »
    How on earth will millions of middle-class male teenagers be able to "hang tough" if we ban hoodies?

They can still listen to snoopity dog and fifty cents in their mother's A3s.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Smart Bug

Sigh. It used to be only Pighead who wrote stories like this to start a thread, and he wasn't that good.

postcount++;

• Registered Users Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭General Zod

I decided to find out.

It was to this end that, yesterday, I donned a hoodie for the first time in my life and decided to hit the mean streets of Clontarf.

Almost immediattely, I though I overheard two wealthy looking pensioners talking about killing my parents. I had an almost uncontrollable urge to stick them with a screwdriver that somehow had found it's way into my hoodie pocket. Somehow, I managed to overcome my ire and passed by the plotting would be murderers, but not before shouldering one of them to the pavement.

I decided I needed to get some cigarettes to calm down as there was adrenaline pumping around my body. So, I went into the shop. Something weird happened. I had a complete blackout and came to about 20 minutes later. There was blood on my fists. How the hell did that get there? I reached for a cigareete and found a wad of cash which I felt certain wasn't mine. Used 5s, 10s and 20s. About 600 quid in all. Weird.

It was 40 mins later as I emerged from a head shop that I felt that I was losing the run of myself, being sucked down. A feeling of, not so much invincibility but more, nihilism had taken control of me. I trembled as I ripped the hoodie off. With that, I flagged down a taxi and returned home, shaken, but alive.

none of this happened. Why must you turn AH into a house of lies?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Wow OP you talk a lot of crap. What an epic fail of a post.

Ban hoodies? Have you any real reason to ban an item of clothing? Doubtful...

• Advertisement

gavredking wrote: »
    Ban hoodies?? :confused:

Why? Just because people portray hoodies = scum doesnt mean that everyone who has one is.

Kind of sensational to suggest a ban.

My experiences in hoodie have taught me differently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭NoDice

We all, and by all I mean everyone, believe that most of the crime in this country is perpetrated by yobs in hoodies. While this is almost certainly true, at least for violent crime, I came to wonder if it was the individuals who were to blame or did the hoodie, itself, have some part to play. I decided to find out.

So, there it is. A case study of the power of the hoodie.

Should they be banned?

I, for one, say yes.

Tee-hee-hee! I tried reading your post but this is all I got - You used "head" and "sucked" in the same sentence... :D

Giggling-Girls.JPG

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

oh oh oh... are you gonna make wearing PJ's outdoors illegal also?

Btw.. in work... wearing a hoodie right now...

Edit:
    My experiences in hoodie have taught me differently.

Ahem... what?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

NoDice wrote: »
    Tee-hee-hee! I tried reading your post but this is all I got - You used "head" and "sucked" in the same sentence... :D

Giggling-Girls.JPG

Pighead does it better, but I think he's dead... :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

You could say that about any item of clothing. we should we ban all clothes by your logic

oh oh oh... are you gonna make wearing PJ's outdoors illegal also?

Btw.. in work... wearing a hoodie right now...

burglar?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,844 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

This could be a great way of reducing crime, after the hoodie ban perhaps we could implement a law so the gardai can arrest people for wearing shoes as a massive majority of serious crimes are committed by people who wear shoes!

The shoe wearing bastards!

Then we could look forward to seeing headlines such as "if the shoe fits" and "got of on the wrong foot there" everytime we read another sensationalist piece in the irish news of the world or some other alternative to toilet paper.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

burglar?

troll?

Pighead does it better, but I think he's dead... :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

I've noticed that all scumbags also wear socks. Ban socks?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭builttospill

Dear OP,

You are a clown.

Yours Sincerely,

builttospill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭sponsoredwalk

Theorem: Given any collection of n blonde girls. If at least one of the girls has blue eyes, then all n of them have blue eyes.

Proof: The statement is obviously true for n = 1. The step from k to k+1 can be illustrated by going from n = 3 to n = 4. Assume, therefore, that the statement is true for n = 3 and let G1,G2,G3,G4 be four blonde girls, at least one of which, say G1, has blue eyes. Taking G1,G2, and G3 together and using the fact that the statement is true when n = 3, we find that G2 and G3 also have blue eyes. Repeating the process with G1,G2 and G4, we find that G4 has blue eyes. Thus all four have blue eyes. A similar argument allows us to make the step from k to k+1 in general.

Corollary: All blonde girls have blue eyes.
    Proof: Since there exists at least one blonde girl with blue eyes, we can apply the foregoing result to the collection consisting of all blonde girls.

- G. Polya
    Same argument ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Dear OP,
    You are a clown.
    Yours Sincerely,
    builttospill.

Great retort on his points! :rolleyes:

Anyway, it would be very hard to ban a single named garment in our Irish society due to a number of laws.
    Discrimination via clothing, the manufactures claiming unfair business practises by the government, privacy issues, etc...
    Beside the fact tha manufactures would simply alter the design of such items and re-brand them something else to circumvent such new possible laws!

The government might try saying, you cannot wear items that hide your identity in certain important security listed areas/businesses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

hah yeah lets ban hoodies, thatll stop crime. without the hoodie those criminals are rendered powerless!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

I know this is AH, but didn't anyone even read the OP before replying?

Gurgle wrote: »

yeap, he sucks at satire...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

Gurgle wrote: »

i know its silly? wait whats the question? i only read the first two words of every post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,467 ✭✭✭Wazdakka

Ban Hoodies?

YES...
    Circumcisions for all..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Dear OP,

You are a clown.

Yours Sincerely,

builttospill.
    Infraction now, ban next time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 426 ✭✭ddef

If they ban hoodies what the fuck will i do then? balaklavas cost too much...

Advertisement