Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LHD Taxi

• 19-10-2007 2:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,011 ✭✭✭✭

I spotted a left hooker taxi today. I've never seen one before and I thought it seemed very odd. Presumably it's perfectly legal. Are they more common than I thought? (apologies for poor quality pic)

LHDTaxi.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,112 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

if it is legal then it shouldn't be - LHD cars are patently less safe in a RHD country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,011 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

loyatemu wrote: »
    if it is legal then it shouldn't be - LHD cars are patently less safe in a RHD country.
    100% agree.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭Ham'nd'egger

loyatemu wrote: »

I agree that they are less safe, but they are perfectly legal to be used as PSV's in Ireland according to the Reg's office; most of the stretch limo's in use are left hand drives as well. Mind you, most of the Limos are unlicensed but that is another story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

definitely seems like a strange idea.
    i can picture drunks trying to sit on the drivers lap every saturday...

subway wrote: »
    definitely seems like a strange idea.
    i can picture drunks trying to sit on the drivers lap every saturday...

Perk of the job, perhaps? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,011 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Hamndegger wrote: »
    most of the stretch limo's in use are left hand drives as well
    Never thought of that (although passengers generally don't sit in the front seat of a limmo).

In a LHD taxi with 4 passemgers, at least one passenger would have to enter/exit on the offside! :eek:

Never thought of that (although passengers generally don't sit in the front seat of a limmo).

In a LHD taxi with 4 passemgers, at least one passenger would have to enter/exit on the offside! :eek:

In practise though, this situation can equally arise on a one way street if you drop off on the right hand side, as well as with any passenger exiting the right rear door. Also, in the case of a Fiat Scudo, luggage is held in the space to the left of a driver so passengers wil be roadside loading and unloading so there is a precedent already set here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

An LHD taxi is a deathtrap for anyone having to get out of the passenger side, perfectly legal though, I have even seen a pickup crew cab as a Taxi.

Advertisement