Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

How to respray bumpers

Options
  • 13-05-2013 11:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭

Hi there

Basically I have a metallic black 2001 Opel Astra, the front bumper was ripped off before I bought it, the guy replaced it with a standard bumper which was red, and painted it gloss black, the red is showing through, also I have a button for front fogs so I have my eye on a bumper with them, only it's blue, I've no experience in spray painting parts so I was wondering could I get a few step by steps on how to go about respraying it

Any help is greatly appreciated

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

To do it right it's a rather involved process i would imagine. Sand it back, prime, colour, gloss. Without the appropriate tools there's a good chance any DIY will look a bit shite I would have thought.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭toastedpickles

That's what I was thinking, but I can't really afford to send it off at the minute

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,089 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

If you take your time, do some research, get the right tools(and you don't need many really), maybe practice your spraying technique on something you're not worried about ruining, it's easy enough IMH. Will it be the same as a pro job? Not quite, but not far off.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭IK09

Hi low,
    **warning i am not a professional**
    Its certainly an experience doing your own spraying. You will need some equipment before you start. This is just off the top of my head. You will need these and more

A Compressor
    A spray gun
    Overalls
    Latex Gloves
    Eye protection (that is comfortable, ski goggles are great)
    Good quality breathing protection
    A warm dust free area
    rubbing alochol
    Fine grit sandpaper everything from 1000 up
    An orbital Sander (preferably with dust extractor)

The likelihood of you doing a good job is slim, i made a thread called full body respray where i resprayed a full car, it turned out ok. It would have turned out alot better if i was spraying just a bumper or two. Make sure you take the bumper off the car before you spray it. The paint gets everywhere and you will defo ruin your car by spraying the bumper while its attached. Read the old thread, i got alot of advice off guys here when i did it, there might be something useful on it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,089 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

For something like a bumper, if you take your time and get some practice at scrap you can even get a pretty good finish from (good quality)rattle cans. I did my own bumper that way a couple of years back and it still looks pretty good. That said I took it off the car, really took my time in preparation(the biggest thing IMHO, a good base makes for a good final finish) and have a big shed so could do it indoors. I'd be well wary of trying it outdoors in our climate. I'll probably attack my spoiler the same way this summer, if we get one...

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
Advertisement