Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Ford Focus Coil Pack

Options
  • 09-05-2013 3:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭

Got a quote for €320 for a replacement coil, leads, plugs and I think a distributor + labour, for my 05 1.4 LX (saloon). Way overpriced in my opinion. Anybody know of any reliable parts online as I've seen a few coil packs going for €60 but they're getting mixed reviews so want to buy something relatively reliable and its an easy enough job so I'll be fitting them myself.

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 866 ✭✭✭renofan

Why do you need to replace everything? When the coils went on my car I got a set in a breakers for a fraction of the price of new ones. And if any way competent you should be able to replace the parts yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭richardsheil

I bought a full kit, coil, leads and plugs from my local motor factor for about 70 euro. Easy to fit. Don't buy online as you have less comeback etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Ronnie Beck

Wizzy2011 wrote: »
    Got a quote for €320 for a replacement coil, leads, plugs and I think a distributor + labour, for my 05 1.4 LX (saloon). Way overpriced in my opinion. Anybody know of any reliable parts online as I've seen a few coil packs going for €60 but they're getting mixed reviews so want to buy something relatively reliable and its an easy enough job so I'll be fitting them myself.

Cheers

As a rough price guide

50 to 60 for a new coil pack http://www.mister-auto.ie/en/coil-ignition/ford-focus-ii-da-1-4-80hp_v18305_g689.html

45 for leads http://www.mister-auto.ie/en/ignition-cable-kit/ford-focus-ii-da-1-4-80hp_v18305_g685.html

16 euro for plugs http://www.mister-auto.ie/en/ignition-cable-kit/ford-focus-ii-da-1-4-80hp_v18305_g685.html

120 euro plus labour ( 30 - 60 euro )

Way overpriced. Was it a main dealer?

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭scrap_man

For a start your car doesn't have a distributer. I wouldn't recommend a spurious coil, get a genuine ford one, I've seen spurious ones to fail after a while and spike the ecu. Leads and plugs would be fine to get in a motor factors. And they are very simple to fit if you wanted to do it yourself, just don'e mix up the order of the leads.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

renofan wrote: »
    Why do you need to replace everything? When the coils went on my car I got a set in a breakers for a fraction of the price of new ones. And if any way competent you should be able to replace the parts yourself.

The coils give trouble in those Focuses so going second hand might be a false economy. As another poster said buying a genuine coil pack from ford is the way to go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Wizzy2011

scrap_man wrote: »
    For a start your car doesn't have a distributer. I wouldn't recommend a spurious coil, get a genuine ford one, I've seen spurious ones to fail after a while and spike the ecu. Leads and plugs would be fine to get in a motor factors. And they are very simple to fit if you wanted to do it yourself, just don'e mix up the order of the leads.

Any ideas on a location to buy a genuine ford coil; dublin area

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭lifer_sean

Wizzy2011 wrote: »
    Any ideas on a location to buy a genuine ford coil; dublin area

It's rare to get a genuine Ford part from anyone other than the main dealer.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

renofan wrote: »
    Why do you need to replace everything?
    The Coil pack generally goes because the leads and plugs are worn and need more energy to spark, this places the coil under load and it gives up the ghost.
    2nd hand coils may work but they could die quickly as well.
    Fords are notorious for this problem.
    Replacing plugs on time helps a lot.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,929 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

Tis a common enough issue on those Focus.
    As mentioned above the kit can be bought for about 70, and it's quite easy to replace.

If your not confident of getting the parts, doing it yourself a indy garage should do it for about 120 to 150.

Advertisement