Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

E46 Cruise Control Upgrade

• 29-04-2013 12:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭

Hi All,

Hopefully someone could tell me if the following is possible. Have my eye on a E46 316i, in super condition with genuine low miles. Only issue is the car doesn't have a few toys I have become too accustomed to having i.e. Cruise Control. I've seen a few "how to" videos on the net about changing the steering wheel to add the radio controls and cruise but I think it seems to be a higher spec car. Would the 316i have the necessary wiring etc to enable this functionality?

Thanks,
    gerardk55

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭gerardk55

Found the answer to this on one of the BMW forums. Functionality is there, needs a slight bit of wiring and also the sports steering wheel.

Mods - feel free to close this thread.

Thanks,
    gerardk55

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54 ✭✭V1

Did this last year on an e46.
    Depending on the steering wheel you have you may not need the whole wheel - just the switch panel from the steering wheel was all I needed to add the multi-function buttons including the cruise control buttons.

ebay is your friend for the multi - function buttons or steering wheel. Also check if you need the slipring providing the contacts for the buttons behind the steering wheel. I didn't need this as it was already fitted to my car, I had the sports wheel without the multi-function buttons.

I had to go the the main dealer :eek: for the wiring harness and it took them a while to identify it as a separate part (they were trying to sell me a complete retrofit kit including wheel for 100s) but even as a separate part it was pricey enough.

There are a couple of howto-s floating around out there on this job and it is relatively straightforward just make sure to observe the usual precautions with steering-wheel airbag - if you make the mistake of turning on the ignition with the airbag disconnected then you are off looking for cable and software or someone friendly to reset the airbag fault light for you.

Advertisement