Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

aeroplane hand luggage question

• 01-05-2010 7:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭

hi folks

am going to england soon and need to take something thats framed with me

does nayone know if i will be allowed take this on board in my hand luggage, or will they deem the glass in it to be a potential weapon?

thanks

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

sam34 wrote: »
    hi folks

does nayone know if i will be allowed take this on board in my hand luggage, or will they deem the glass in it to be a potential weapon?

thanks

You should be ok. The duty free shops alone sell similar in the airport.
    Have it as carry on in a box that can be inspected and I'd say your ok.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

place small bomb in hand luggage..

i doubt they will even notice the stolen Mona Lisa in your bag then

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

will they deem the glass in it to be a potential weapon?

thanks

That is a good point actually!

But I've been allowed to bring make-up that is in glass containers, so I can't see a problem with a photo frame.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

snyper wrote: »
    place small bomb in hand luggage..

i doubt they will even notice the stolen Mona Lisa in your bag then

the perfect distraction technique!

kelle wrote: »
    That is a good point actually!

But I've been allowed to bring make-up that is in glass containers, so I can't see a problem with a photo frame.

well considering they view tweezers as dodgy, i thought they'd see (potential) shards of glass as teh work of satan!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

Probably only if it can fit in the overhead compartment.

Probably only if it can fit in the overhead compartment.

it can

size isnt an issue [AH giggidy /AH]

its just the glass i'm concerned about

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

And I was also allowed bring a 300g Nescafe Gold Blend Coffee jar - they just checked it wasn't liquid coffee!

kelle wrote: »
    And I was also allowed bring a 300g Nescafe Gold Blend Coffee jar - they just checked it wasn't liquid coffee!

ah i should be ok so

thanks

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

In case travellers are not aware of it - while we are on a similar topic:
    IRISH tourists will no longer have to give up expensive perfumes or duty-free drink to airport screening staff after April 2013, when Brussels will lift an EU-wide ban on liquids in hand luggage.

The limits on duty-free drink will be scrapped as early as 2011, the EU says, even for passengers coming from outside the EU.
    The current restrictions have been in place in various forms since 2006, when UK police foiled a transatlantic bomb plot involving liquid explosives.
    An outright ban turned into a cut-off on volume, with drinks, gels, pastes, lotions, aerosols and cosmetics under 100ml now permitted on planes only if they are carried in clear plastic bags.
    Everything else must be packed into checked-in luggage, which has weight limits.
    But Dublin, Shannon and Cork airports will need to install sophisticated screening machines that can detect dangerous chemicals within the next three years in order for the changes in security to come into force here.
    Failure to comply with the new rules will result in a rap across the knuckles from the European Commission.
    Brussels will start to conduct random inspections across EU airports to make sure the Dublin Airport Authority and its counterparts keep to the rules.
    EU transport chief Siim Kallas said yesterday that the EU was "signalling the beginning of the end for the current restrictions on liquids in cabin baggage, with a clear and final deadline of April 2013".

Confiscated
    Since the ban came into force, almost 35,000 items have been surrendered, according to the DAA, including bottles of wine, champagne and even jams and other preservatives.
    Confiscated items are given to charity, as long as they are in pristine condition.
    The prohibition has particularly angered passengers catching connecting flights in Frankfurt or London, who are forced to hand over some of the spoils of their duty-free sprees to waiting security staff.
    EU officials have been in talks to lift the ban since last year.
    "The ban was always meant to be temporary but scanning technology is expensive and has been slow to develop," a Commission spokeswoman said.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/eu-decides-to-lift-ban-on-liquids-in-cabin-baggage-2159089.html

Some day we will catch up with the rest of Europe in some things.

• Advertisement
Advertisement