Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting Outta Dublin on a Friday!

Options
  • 18-10-2007 1:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭

hi everyone...basically i leave work at 5.30 in city centre...traffic chaos has me killed and i was wondering if anyone knows if there are any other route i can take...i usually head up the quays and out by heuston station..im heading west and of late i am being caught for over an hour from heuston out through palmerstown and to the west link round about...this is driving me crazy as i've a long journey to do after this...is there anyway i can avoid this roundabout and the backlog to it ot is it the only gateway to the west! Thanks for reading

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

hi everyone...basically i leave work at 5.30 in city centre...traffic chaos has me killed and i was wondering if anyone knows if there are any other route i can take...i usually head up the quays and out by heuston station..im heading west and of late i am being caught for over an hour from heuston out through palmerstown and to the west link round about...this is driving me crazy as i've a long journey to do after this...is there anyway i can avoid this roundabout and the backlog to it ot is it the only gateway to the west! Thanks for reading
    Take the train maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

murphaph wrote: »
    Take the train maybe?

Edit: That sounded really quite patronising when I read it but it wasn't meant to. Upon reflection however Heuston and any train out of it on a Friday is likely to be just as congested as the N4!

Ah, 15 years of glorious prosperity.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭jkgvfg

Between now and Christmas so many things are changing on that roundabout that could make it better or worse that any advice is out of date before you get it. In theory, from this evening, it should move better outbound as there is no M50 traffic crossing the roundabout. This won't sort the Palmerstown lights causing some delays or the Newcastle lights that can't really be avoided, but the other options I see are:
    1. go down through Ballyfermot and either come back out on to the N4 at Palmerstown or across Coldcut road to Liffey Valley.
    2. Go down Chapelizod, across Strawberry beds and into Lucan.
    3. Out towards Park West onto Nangor Road onto Outer Ring Road.

All of these take you along the quays to Heuston - if you want to avoid that, there are too many options to list.

All 3 can be quicker some nights and slower other times. But since you're blessed with only having to do it one night a week, I would think stick with the N4 unless you hear the improvements have made things worse!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,386 ✭✭✭fletch

Can you not sit in work til the traffic dies down? I find it a lot less stressful and you'll only arrive home slightly later than usual.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Do your journey before or after the rush hours

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 538 ✭✭✭SickCert

Finish work at 530? Go grab dinner and leave town at 630, it tends to end a little quicker on a Friday and i would rather be somewhere else than a car in a jam!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,386 ✭✭✭fletch

Yeh the heavy traffic tends to have well died down by 6:30 on a Friday. A lot of people finish work early on a Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

you could try go to liexlip get a train in or park at the red cow and get the luas . I've parked at redcow before when going to cork or kerry. isnt that outer ring road linked up to get across to the N4.

alternatively, park at heuston for 7yoyos and bus/luas/walk there

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭jlang

fletch wrote: »
    Yeh the heavy traffic tends to have well died down by 6:30 on a Friday. A lot of people finish work early on a Friday.
    I'd go as far as to say that getting out of town at 5:30-6 can be easier on a Friday than other days. A greater proportion of the traffic is going long distance, so depending on the trunk route, you catch up with the congestion at Lucan-ish distances. Don't forget less people go into town on Friday mornings as well - the traffic's always easier at 8:30-9 a.m.

Advertisement