Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Bond Theme

Options
  • 25-10-2002 10:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭

Whats yer favourite folks. Mine is Duran Duran A View To A Kill.

Whats the best Bond theme 22 votes

Goldfinger - Shirley Bassey
    0% 0 votes
    Live and Let Die - Paul McCartney
    22% 5 votes
    Nobody Does it Better - Carley Simon
    27% 6 votes
    For Your Eyes Only - Sheena Easton
    9% 2 votes
    A View to a Kill - Duran Duran
    9% 2 votes
    Die another day - Madonna
    31% 7 votes
    other
    0% 0 votes

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

I like You Only Live Twice - it's one of my faves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭scipio_major

I'm quite partial to the one that went with On Her Majesties Secret Service but seeing there were no lyrics (I think) I don't think it counts so I'd have to go with Garbage's "The World is Not Enough".

Fade to Credits
    Scipio_major

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Best I dunno.
    I think the Madonna one is terrible though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

You only live twice.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Duran Duran' s A View to a Kill is excellent, especially that intro with those big beats :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

I'd have to go for Paul McCartney and Wings - Live and Let Die

although Carly Simon's Nobody Does it Better (from "The Spy Who Loved Me") is a great song too

BTW, scipio_major, the song from On Her Majesty's Secret Service is Louis Armstrong's "We Have All the Time in the World" -... and it does in fact have lyrics... lots of 'em.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by Bard
    BTW, scipio_major, the song from On Her Majesty's Secret Service is Louis Armstrong's "We Have All the Time in the World" -... and it does in fact have lyrics... lots of 'em.

He's probably referring to the main theme (not the Louis Armstrong song - that's the closing credits/song in movie, not the title theme, which is a John Barry tune) - it's the one I'd have gone for also. There were supposed to be lyrics for the title theme (it's the only Bond without them) but they dropped the idea when they popped in the Louis Armstrong track later in the movie.

OT: Shirley Bassey was on the Muppet Show on TG4 today. Goldfinger piece was great - lots of pigs (one of them had a gold finger:D) stealing a big pile of gold while she wasn't looking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Surely its got to be the original Bond theme by Monty Norman...? No?

If not then its Live and Let Die.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭scipio_major

Thanks Sceptre. I was refering to the main theme. It's so nice when other people know what you're talking about.

I think it has been used in a lot of the Bonds to come after OHMSS during the action sequences.

Fade to credits
    Scipio_major

Originally posted by scipio_major

I think it has been used in a lot of the Bonds to come after OHMSS during the action sequences.

Yep, its a great piece. If you havent already heard it, the Propellerheads did a great version of it for the Shaken not Stirred album (or maybe they just did it for thier album and donated it to that, no idea)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

My mistake.

My apologies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

On her Majestys secret service I believe was the best.

Then comes Shirley Basseys one. Great tune and great voice.

Madonnas one is one of the worst I ever heard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

FWIW, a full list of all the themes...

James Bond Theme - Monty Norman Orchestra (Dr. No)
    From Russia With Love - Matt Monro
    Goldfinger - Shirley Bassey
    Thunderball - Tom Jones
    You Only Live Twice - Nancy Sinatra
    We Have All The Time In The World - Louis Armstrong (OHMSS)
    Diamonds are Forever - Shirley Bassey
    Live and Let Die - Paul McCartney and Wings
    The Man With The Golden Gun - Lulu
    Nobody Does it Better - Carly Simon (The Spy Who Loved Me)
    Moonraker - Shirley Bassey
    For Your Eyes Only - Sheena Easton
    All Time High - Rita Coolidge (Octopussy)
    A View to a Kill - Duran Duran
    The Living Daylights - A-Ha
    Licence to Kill - Gladys Knight
    Goldeneye - Tina Turner
    Tomorrow Never Dies - Sheryl Crow
    The World is Not Enough - Garbage
    Die Another Day - Madonna

(Yes, I know the Armstrong track wasn't technically the theme music from OHMSS, but it's the only vocal track in it so everyone remembers it :) )

There's a lot of quality music in there... Personal favourites would have to be Live and Let Die, Nobody Does it Better, The World is Not Enough and Goldeneye, but even at that I feel bad about leaving out classics like Goldfinger...

And of course, the original Bond theme from Dr No is one of the most memorable and downright excellent soundtrack pieces ever :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭Pigman

My Fav is 'Nobody Does it Better'. Actually, Radiohead do a very good cover of it as well.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,965 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

Oh tough choice...Live and Let Die by Paul McCartney and Wings is my favorite but i loved the original theme tune used in Dr.No
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 55,465 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

The Licence to Kill song used to annoy me when it came out. Why did she sing it as "Licence to Kilt" ?? :rolleyes:

- Dave.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by TmB
    The Licence to Kill song used to annoy me when it came out. Why did she sing it as "Licence to Kilt" ?? :rolleyes:

- Dave.

Gladys does do that a bit - even on the (relatively) classic Midnight train to Georgia.

Could have been worse if they'd gone with the earlier "Licence Revoked" title. I can picture it now: "Got your licence revoked, gonna have to driiiiive with a full licence ho-lde-e-e-e-r in the caaaar (got your licence revoked)"

One should be thankful for the small things.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Live and Let die is by far my favourite, is funny coz I was a huge Duran Duran fan back in the day but never really liked A View To a Kill.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Originally posted by sceptre
    Gladys does do that a bit - even on the (relatively) classic Midnight train to Georgia.

Could have been worse if they'd gone with the earlier "Licence Revoked" title. I can picture it now: "Got your licence revoked, gonna have to driiiiive with a full licence ho-lde-e-e-e-r in the caaaar (got your licence revoked)"

One should be thankful for the small things.

ROFL :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

The original Dr. No theme.

The Golden€ye trailer theme doing the rounds on the radio recently is very good indeed.

• Advertisement

Coldplays You Only Live Twice cover owns Radioheads Nobody Does it Better's trousers :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

Live and Let die is by far my favourite, is funny coz I was a huge Duran Duran fan back in the day but never really liked A View To a Kill.

Bet you wern't as big a fan as me ;) or perhaps I should keep that to myself :p

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

Originally posted by Pigman
    My Fav is 'Nobody Does it Better'. Actually, Radiohead do a very good cover of it as well.

that will do pig......

a fantastic cover version.
    probably the worlds sexiest song...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭memphis

Correct me if I'm wrong, But am I right in saying that U2 played one of the Bond Theme in recent years??? What one was it again??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Gaz

I dont think so , maybe your thinking of the mission impossible theme tune which was redone by clayton and mullen.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

Originally posted by memphis
    Correct me if I'm wrong, But am I right in saying that U2 played one of the Bond Theme in recent years??? What one was it again??

bobo wrote goldeneye that was sung by tina turner if i recall
    U2 may have played backing, or at least some of them, but that is unconfirmed and i could be creating scurrilous rumours now :)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 5,042 Mod ✭✭✭✭spooky donkey

Well my fav wasent in that list so i voted other and other seems to be leading the pole right now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭memphis

Originally posted by WhiteWashMan
    bobo wrote goldeneye that was sung by tina turner if i recall
    U2 may have played backing, or at least some of them, but that is unconfirmed and i could be creating scurrilous rumours now :)

i believe that's the very one I was thinking of, however, I'm not 100% sure it was performed, or backed up by Bono and U2.

As for the Mission Impossible theme, I am well aware that that was The 2 lads, Adam and Larry, from U2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Originally posted by scipio_major
    I'm quite partial to the one that went with On Her Majesties Secret Service but seeing there were no lyrics (I think) I don't think it counts so I'd have to go with Garbage's "The World is Not Enough".

Fade to Credits
    Scipio_major
    i'm with you on that one.
    loved the propellerheads/david arnold version of it

• Advertisement
Advertisement