Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Technical Question

• 02-11-2002 12:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭

Does anyone recall this shot thats often used in the movies?

Basically it looks like follows. When an actor recieves shocking news (or gets surprised) the camera zooms in TOWARDS their face yet somehow the background manages to stay in focus AND veer off AWAY into the distance. You've all seen it at least once I'm sure? I've seen it done even in old films so I know it's not a digital effect (in fact I'm guessing it's probably something pretty simple).

So does anyone know how this shot is accomplished or even what it's called so I can read up on it?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭satchmo

Yeah I know what you mean. It's a very simple effect actually, you just walk towards the subject with the camera while zooming out. Or the other way around, walk away while zooming in. You can do it with any camera that has a zoom function, for the best effect your timing has to be right though.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭banbutcher

well afaik its either one of two ways:
    1. the actor stands on some type of pully device and then as the camera zooms in he is pulled twoards the camera

or

2. (i think this is the one!) as the camera zooms in its moved closer and closer to the actor and this gives the desired effect!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭ObeyGiant

It's done by dollying in, whilst zooming out. I think Hitchcock was the first one (or at least, one of the first) to do it, and he called it uh.. "blowing out the background". Doing a google search for that term brings up a whole bunch of information on how to do it properly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭Lex_Diamonds

That shot has been used to great effect in La Haine, when they are standing on a bridge, it looks superb :)

You can replicate this shot to your hearts content by simply booting up Unreal Tournament and using the zoom on the sniper scope. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,626 ✭✭✭smoke.me.a.kipper

only time ive seen it done was in Jaws

• Advertisement
Advertisement