Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

N+1. Is a hub geared bike Alfine/Nexus suited to big commutes?

• 28-07-2015 2:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 214 ✭✭

Hi Guys.

I have really taken to commuting by bike and unless the weather is awful or I am in real hurry I will take the bike over my car or motorbike.
    It has been great in terms of fitness and time efficiency as I don’t bother with the gym now.

At the moment I have three bikes at home.
    A Defy 5 with Claris, which is barely used.
    A Planet X RT-58 Carbon Ultegra which is the main reason the Giant doesn’t see the light of day!
    & a Retro Kokkedal Beach Cruiser with Nexus 7 hub gears. Mostly for pootling around with the kids on their bikes.

There is a lot of crossover between the Defy and the RT, both road bikes, similar geometry etc. but I find myself going for the PX every time.
    With winter around the corner I don’t want to be using it in the rain or leaving it outside in a bike rack in the rain, and would like to keep it for weekends and dry days.

My commute is reasonably hilly if I take the short route and it’s around 20k each way. If time is on my hands and I take the more pleasant scenic route its less hilly but is around 26k each way. I can usually do the 20k route in sub 40 minutes or the 26 route in about 50 minutes.

The Giant doesn’t float my boat so much and I fancy a change, something comfortable but reasonably fast. A bit more refined than the Claris but reliable and durable. I really like the functionality of my cruiser but it’s a heavy old beast.
    So I find myself looking at Shimano Nexus and Shimano Alfine geared Hybrids. In particular I really like the look of the Charge Grater 3 with Alfine.

Right now I am thinking of selling my Defy while it is still fresh and putting cash to it to buy something like this..
    On paper it makes a lot of sense. Low maintenance gears, rust resistant chain, comfy position, not stupid heavy, will take a rack, already has mudguards etc…

http://www.chargebikes.com/bicycle-collection/grater-3

Was wondering if anyone is commuting a decent distance over mixed terrain on a similar bike and how it performs? Clearly it won’t be as quick as a road bike, and I don’t mind losing a few minutes here and there but wouldn’t want to see a total drop off in commuting speed.
    Also how do you mange with changing the rear wheel at the road side, punctures etc. I haven’t had to do anything with my nexus but believe it’s a pig of a job and not really roadside work.

Does that rule it out as a serious commuter bike?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

I can't help with, advice on the new bike.
    But, just to reassure you, if reassurance is needed, that it's quite obvious from your post, that you NEED a new bike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,140 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Depends how fast you want to go. I found the Alfine 11 hub to be very draggy.

It's fine up to 25kph then hits a wall.

30kph is quite difficult to sustain whereas it's easy enough on a derailleured bike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 214 ✭✭R1_Pete

Eamonnator wrote: »
    I can't help with, advice on the new bike.
    But, just to reassure you, if reassurance is needed, that it's quite obvious from your post, that you NEED a new bike.

Thats all i needed. Cheers.. :D

Lumen wrote: »
    Depends how fast you want to go. I found the Alfine 11 hub to be very draggy.

It's fine up to 25kph then hits a wall.

30kph is quite difficult to sustain whereas it's easy enough on a derailleured bike.

Thanks Lumen, I have the Nexus on my cruiser but its not built for speed and never saw anywhere near 20kph never mind over that so i couldnt really gauge it. I heard the Alfine is supposed to be much smoother than the nexus.

When you say draggy, do you mean mechanical resistance or more the gearing isnt suited to higher speeds?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

R1_Pete wrote: »
    Also how do you mange with changing the rear wheel at the road side, punctures etc. I haven’t had to do anything with my nexus but believe it’s a pig of a job and not really roadside work.
    I'm retired so no commute.
    One of my bikes is a On-One with an 11 speed Alfine hub. Originally it had a 7 speed Alfine but the gearing was too low. The extra gears on the 11 speed are all higher than the 7 speed, and the bike gearing is now comparable to a derailleur for gear range. My advice would be to check in detail the gearing before buying. Is the range suitable? Do not assume it is.

My tyres on the hub bike are very strong, but I still got as puncture when I hit the far edge of a one meter rain-filled pothole. I'd forgotten to bring a wrench to undo the axle and had a 2 km walk in my cleats. Someone on here mentioned that you could repair a puncture old-style without removing the wheel. Get the tyre off the rim, pull out the tube, and apply a patch. I didn't have a patch kit with me. I had two spare tubes, road-bike style.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Skrynesaver

I sometimes use a Felt X-City 1 with Alfine Hub and hydraulic disc brakes.

It's comfier, and noticeably slower, I've an option of a 45K or 15K commute, depending on whether or not I drop the car @ the M-50, I've done both on the hybrid, but the 15K commute is no bother on it really. Unless you've proper hills (You don't live/work up Stocking lane, do you?), you won't need the PX.

That said, I only use it if:
    • the roadbike is out of order
    • It's too icy for racing tyres

ETA Once you carry a spanner the wheel is no bother to refit on the roadside, cable retaining nut "clips" in and out with ease, practice before you're forced to do it in anger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

fwiw I just looked at the Cateye Velo 8 bike computer on the bike. The last spin was 11 km :o at 23.4 km/hr average.
    One gripe is the gearchange cable is very long from handlebars to the back wheel, all enclosed, and at times the bike will not change gear easily, probably not oiled enough, and it is not easy to keep the cable free moving.
    My bike has SKS mudguards, with long flaps added, chain enclosed with an SKS Chainboard, Tubus rack, Ortlieb panniers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,140 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

When you say draggy, do you mean mechanical resistance or more the gearing isnt suited to higher speeds?
    Mechanical resistance caused by friction/fluid resistance in the hub. It feels like riding into a headwind everywhere. When there's an actual headwind it's even worse.

I'd be happy with a hub gear for a city hack. I've never been annoyed by the slowness of Dublin bikes but I don't use them for journeys over 5km.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 712 ✭✭✭onthefringe

Lumen wrote: »
    Mechanical resistance caused by friction/fluid resistance in the hub. It feels like riding into a headwind everywhere. When there's an actual headwind it's even worse.

I'd be happy with a hub gear for a city hack. I've never been annoyed by the slowness of Dublin bikes but I don't use them for journeys over 5km.

makes a lot of sense
    i have the alfine 8 on a mountain bike...pleasure to use and very user friendly re no derailleur
    issues...BUT...its not the most pleasant on tarmac...your comment re headwind is very true...bike feels dead!

Thanks Guys.
    Useful feedback and much appreciated.

Pete

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Bigus

Just use the Planet X and put the budget to replacing it sooner,say next spring ?great bikes , I have one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 587 ✭✭✭L'Enfer du Nord

I have a bike with 8 speed nexus hub gears and a hub dianamo in the front wheel.

Pros: low maintenance, lights always work.
    Cons: I find it very draggy compared to any sporty hybrid I've ridden. You just have to work to keep up momentum. Doesn't really bother me since its a comfortable ride with great lights in the dark. But if I had a long commute it might be an issue.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭rp

Nexus can be a pain, esp. if it has a coaster brake too, as there is also the torque arm to remove and replace. With practice its not too bad, once you get the hang of popping the cable-end bolt into the rotary yoke.
    Rohloff is much easier...
    Now I've a few weeks commuting on Tannus solid tyres, I'll be swapping my wife's tyres on her nexus 8 bike over too (mediums) to avoid the need for all that messing.

Advertisement