Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An Post Meath Heritage Cycle Tour

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭Domane

Have to agree with a previous poster on the lads and ladies walking their bikes up the Hill of Tara. Ok so some people can't make it up, no problem there. But some of us can climb all the way and it's a bit annoying having to weave in and out of people walking three abreast across a narrow road, while clipped in on a soggy greasy road and a strong crosswind trying to knock you sideways. Bit of common sense and courtesy next year maybe and keep in to the left if walking and allow those still on their bikes to pass safely up the right?

I'll be doing the 100 or maybe even the 160 next year so maybe it won't be an issue for me, but I'm sure there are a good few peeps who thought the same as me while weaving in and out of the dismounted cyclists yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Domane wrote: »
    Have to agree with a previous poster on the lads and ladies walking their bikes up the Hill of Tara. Ok so some people can't make it up, no problem there. But some of us can climb all the way and it's a bit annoying having to weave in and out of people walking three abreast across a narrow road, while clipped in on a soggy greasy road and a strong crosswind trying to knock you sideways. Bit of common sense and courtesy next year maybe and keep in to the left if walking and allow those still on their bikes to pass safely up the right?

I'll be doing the 100 or maybe even the 160 next year so maybe it won't be an issue for me, but I'm sure there are a good few peeps who thought the same as me while weaving in and out of the dismounted cyclists yesterday.
    There was plenty of information sent by email when you registered. Next year maybe the organisers could include this.

I think people were simply unaware and this can easily be corrected.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭kildarecommuter

Domane wrote: »

I did the 50k with Mrs Kildarecommuter as it was her first big cycle, and we both encountered the same problem going up Tara.
    In fairness I think the 50k is many folks first "big" cycle and they are just not aware have no experience of cycling with large groups.
    My 8 year old got taken out and hit the road the night before on the 11k family spin as an adult veered into him simply by not looking around him as he decided to pass.
    Perhaps it should be mentioned at the start and in folks emails as mentioned by others
    But Well Done and many thanks to all involved on what was a great event despite the rain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭Domane

I've emailed the organisers about this asking that some emphasis be put on "situational awareness" when cycling in a large group, ie look around before you move out to overtake, don't cut corners causing others to lock up their wheels and if you have to walk up Tara, then keep in to the left. On the plus side, I congratulated them on another well organised event where the marshals went above and beyond the call of duty manning crossings in the lousy weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Bloggsie

kerry4sam wrote: »
    Only one of the Sean Kelly An Post Series left for me to do and that will be An Post Tour of Sligo 2016!

Many Thanks to Trim and Everyone I met for their Wonderful Hospitatlity towards me.
    Signed up for the 50km as tbh I've never visited DublinZoo before & wanted to visit as I was after driving so close and I did - something else & new ticked off :)

Elements were tough but in saying that I crossed the finish line kinda annoyed with myself for only cycling 50km. Even my 1st ever Sportive was 70km like but I never stopped today from the moment I started to the moment I crossed the finish-line, all the way to my hotel and off to DublinZoo with me! So I cannot comment on the water-stops or the food-stop, never even stopped to catch my breath or stretch my legs as I just kept the head-down & peddled on. Tbh the last 3-years I've cycled the RingOfKerry I cycled from Killarney to Caherciveen before I first stopped, every year. That's just over 60km so completing this 50km today without stopping is what I am used to. Apologies for those who in the Great Work at the Stops this year. Next-year I'll stop & say Hello :)

Finished just over the 2hr mark. Hill of Tara was the only place I have issues. I never stopped. People were stopped dead in the middle of the road ; walking up the middle of the road ; seriously like that's just dangerous. The road was narrow. To find people not staying to the left when walking or even stopping annoyed me and others going by the voices around me toward those walking. Please keep left next-year, for the Safety of Everyone around you!

Everyone I met was Lovely ; the guy who I peddled the last 20km with was a pure gent! Thank You for the Company in the wind & rain! The 'Lead-Car' kept us company toward the end also; the Safety Personnel all around ; Just Amazing Volunteer Work. Speaking of Volunteers -> Trim Tidy Town Volunteers out as I was just eating my breakfast and in around the start point collecting any rubbish dropped by anyone (of which was very very few btw). Great To See this Commitment. Beautiful Townlands in this area. Lovely Route.
    I will be back in 2016 but will be taking on the 100km. Should be in no rush next-year!

The Marshals were out-standing. I said Thanks & Good Morning to all & they said it back; eventhough there they were standing in the rain pouring down on them :)

I've photos attached from the Saturday. I took in a tour of Trim Castle to educate myself a lickle and the photos are of the 11km Family Spin getting ready to commence. Seemed like a Great Turnout. I was just finished my Castle Tour & on the roof so apologies for the distance in the photos by me. People were still cycling up for this as I was walking back to my hotel. Fantastic Idea encouraging this! Photo also of the start-line for me today and of feeding-time in DublinZoo. I'd a Great week-end for myself!

From my hotel & Being able to leave my car there securely as I cycled to the start-point and the ease of access en return ; everything just went smoothly!

Many Thanks,
    kerry4sam

0pVbPXd.jpg
    pAH6krt.jpg
    aqftF1p.jpg
    Vq9E9VP.jpg

&
    Look At These Guys :)

1FJrcHp.jpg
    n4hPTpg.jpg
    Eomy5Nv.jpg
    afternoon kerry4sam,

I spoke to one of the organisers of this event & the response I got was they are aware of the walking up the Hill of Tara issue its just down to a lack of awareness, some people on the day were just frazzelled & their brains were scrambled, normally they would not behave in such silly manner.

The event attracts newbee cyclists as well as more expreienced ones, its only by doing a number of events & cycling with larger numbers the newbee's get the experience of not behaving like they are cycling on their own and be clued in to what is going on around them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

Pictures are up, unfortunately not that many of the finish line!

http://www.meathsports.ie/cycle-tour/photo-gallery/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

jon1981 wrote: »
    Pictures are up, unfortunately not that many of the finish line!

http://www.meathsports.ie/cycle-tour/photo-gallery/

Saw that earlier today.

Brutal way to show pics IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

Saw that earlier today.

Brutal way to show pics IMO.

Yes, how they've loaded them on to the website hurts my head.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Bikerbhoy

Advertisement