Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tour de Kilkenny - Saturday 1st August - early bird registration

• 03-07-2015 8:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 733 ✭✭✭

Just letting all Boardsies know in good time to sign up for this years Tour de Kilkenny.
    40, 70, 110 & 160 km routes.
    Registration is 25 euro for longer routes up to 12th of July, (after this date it's 30 online, and 35 on the day)
    http://www.marblecitycyclers.com/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Steve SilverMint

Looking to tackle the 160 this year, hopefully the weather will be better than last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 733 ✭✭✭Buzwaldo

Looking to tackle the 160 this year, hopefully the weather will be better than last year.

I can absolutely guarantee you that the weather will be better than last year.
    No way can we have 40mm of rain on the one day again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

Buzwaldo wrote: »
    I can absolutely guarantee you that the weather will be better than last year.
    40 mm, it felt like 40 inches. It was insane, the worst conditions I've ever cycled in.

Gentle reminder - get in this weekend for the discounted 25 euro rate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 489 ✭✭benneca1

Nice sportive did it a few years ago Lashed rain then also :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭padyjoe

Something not right: flyer says early bird until 11th Sun, today is the 12th or what year is it?

padyjoe wrote: »
    Something not right: flyer says early bird until 11th Sun, today is the 12th or what year is it?

Yeah, typo on the website. Thought it was corrected. Early bird is up to Sunday 12th I am told.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,457 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Forgot to register yesterday so I've missed the early bird price.... oh well, more money for charity! :)

I haven't done this since 2011 (it was sunny that day :pac:) so I'm looking forward to it!

Despite mixed outlook, weather looks good for Saturday at this point.
    Windfinder, Yr.No, and BBC Weather all giving Saturday dry.
    Everything in place for a challenging and enjoyable Sportive.
    Check out the route profiles on marblecitycyclers.com
    All proceeds in aid of local charities.

Hope you are right Buzwaldo, been thinking about it, going for the big one but seeing this weather I'm still undecided.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭man_no_plan

I'm in two minds about doing this at the weekend. None of the lads will do it with me :( Wouldn't be up for the 160 but the 110 would be ok id say. Is the pace usually rip-roaring or fairly okay?

Just registered for the 110, forecast for Saturday is decent, I didn't want a repeat of last year :(. Can't wait now.

I'm in two minds about doing this at the weekend. None of the lads will do it with me :( Wouldn't be up for the 160 but the 110 would be ok id say. Is the pace usually rip-roaring or fairly okay?

First 40 or so is fairly flat, and front group can go at a good nick, but it generally sorts into decent sized groups at a variety of paces. The mid-section before the food stop is where the hills lie, and groups break up here as folk climb at their own pace.
    The break give the legs a chance to recover, and groups to get back together.
    Any groups that head out from the food stop together on the 110 have a fair chance of holding together to the end

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

Might travel down that morning from Dublin on my Tod, anyone heading down ?

jon1981 wrote: »

For anyone travelling down the motorway its best not to get off at the first kilkenny exit. Stay on to junction 9 and it will bring you in the Waterford road to the Rugby Club, staging post for the Tour de KK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

jon1981 wrote: »

I'm doing the same. Just signed up to give the 110 a lash. I'm going to bring lots of towels, like I did for the An Post Meath 100

Not sure what time I'll get back to the gaff at but I think I am sucking the life out of the whole "At times it's easier to ask for forgiveness than permission" lark.

Cheers for the tip, Buzwaldo! Good to know!

I'm doing the same. Just signed up to give the 110 a lash. I'm going to bring lots of towels, like I did for the An Post Meath 100

Not sure what time I'll get back to the gaff at but I think I am sucking the life out of the whole "At times it's easier to ask for forgiveness than permission" lark.

Cheers for the tip, Buzwaldo! Good to know!

I'm in myself, looking forward to it now...

Just to say that online entry closes at 1pm tomorrow Thursday.
    Will still take entries Friday evening and Saturday morning at the rugby club, but it'll cost a fiver more.

Signed up tonight myself, it's the last night to register online.

• Site Banned Posts: 20,686 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Supposed to be cycling in Kerry, but that looks like its falling apart, if I could get to this I'd do the 110 but first train gets there at 9? Possible to start the 110 a bit late (15-20 mins or so)

• Advertisement

Weepsie wrote: »
    Supposed to be cycling in Kerry, but that looks like its falling apart, if I could get to this I'd do the 110 but first train gets there at 9? Possible to start the 110 a bit late (15-20 mins or so)

Generally departs on time.
    Train arrives at 9.01 it seems. If you cycled straight from train to join at Bennettsbridge road roundabout you should be okayish. Or could take slightly quicker route to Gowran.
    PM me and I'll see what might work best.

No one is up for 160k? :-)

No one is up for 160k? :-)

I'd attempted it.

Then I realise I can t afford the time.

Best of luck with it!

Yep, that's around 6-7 hours, at least for me. Long enough!

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Einstein?

I may do the 160k, how many people are attending the event?

Einstein? wrote: »
    I may do the 160k, how many people are attending the event?

Think there are generally about 700 over the four routes, may have had a few more some years.
    Will try to find out how many signed online at close of registration tomorrow, but I think over 300 were signed up earlier today.
    Weather looks set fair at this stage (some rain early Friday night), so hopefully will get a good number.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭DD Mikasa

Just signed up. Cant wait for Woodstock!

Buzwaldo wrote: »
    Generally departs on time.
    Train arrives at 9.01 it seems. If you cycled straight from train to join at Bennettsbridge road roundabout you should be okayish. Or could take slightly quicker route to Gowran.
    PM me and I'll see what might work best.

Cheers, no free spaces on Train for the bike so doesn't look a goer either. ( only 2 on train)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Cheers, no free spaces on Train for the bike so doesn't look a goer either. ( only 2 on train)

There should be space for more in a closet beside the handicapped toilets.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

Weather looks good for tomorrow. Coming down from Dublin to do the 70k, wife doing the 40k as her first sportive ahead of the Sean Kelly 50k later in the month. Looking forward to this now.

I really like the route maps with the profile and climb info!
    Well done to whoever designed them.

11792112_10153562073210452_649769177668890941_o.jpg

Agreed they look really good.The elevation profile at the bottom is a nice touch, the 160 elevation profile is frightening :)

Don't be frightened! ;-) Climbs are never easy but once on top pain is forgotten, gain kicks in. It makes you come back for more...

The sun is starting to break through the clouds, there is hardly no wind to speak of, and the ground is dry... Happy days! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Toblerone1978

On Woodstock taking a few snaps. Great to see the weather is playing ball.

People seems to be enjoying them. Well, as much as you can be going up Woodstock!

• Advertisement

Managed the 110KM today.

Many thanks to all the volunteers, marshals etc who made this happen.
    I thoroughly enjoyed the sausage/hotdog x 2 at the end. None of that rabbit food for me!

We were all blessed with the weather and bar a puncture I suffered at Harristown Roundabout in Graiguenamanagh, where EVERYONE overtook me, as I was out near the front prior, it was a great day out on the bike.

Bar the suffering. Who does your course mapping? Marquis de Sade?

When the hills started, it was just relentless.

No other word for it.

Relentless!

I met a few who shied off the 160 due to all the hills in the middle!

The downhill optical illusion after the above roundabout on the R703 was something else. 3-4% gradient!

https://www.google.com/maps/@52.555022,-7.00952,3a,75y,310.62h,94.28t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s0tSI-a0P4ovicZch56_QFg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 574 ✭✭✭3102derek

The downhill optical illusion after the above roundabout on the R703 was something else. 3-4% gradient!

https://www.google.com/maps/@52.555022,-7.00952,3a,75y,310.62h,94.28t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s0tSI-a0P4ovicZch56_QFg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

That strech wrecked my head today. I was full sure it was downhill.

It was a great day. Some contrast to last year.

But I still managed to complete it quicker last year.

3102derek wrote: »
    That strech wrecked my head today. I was full sure it was downhill.
    After the long drag to get to that point it was a relief to see some downhill to get the breath back. I gave up trying to freewheel after four attempts. :D I was heartbroken :(

I couldn't wrap my head around what I was seeing and the Gradient data on my Garmin.

Great day for it alright, very well rune event. Well done to all involved.

Some heavy road covered today :-o

Managed 160k. Great weather for it! I agree with Unkown Soldier! Relentless! Climbing after climbing (expecting over 2000 meters elevation but there was only 1750). I was struggling with cramps in my legs from 90k which added more hardship. I've tried my luck twice at Kilmanagh beforehand, tough but I was able to get to top even after 50k. Today I hit it at 146k, no luck, had to walk 100 meters after the 'ouch' sign on the tarmac but at least the walking eased my cramp off a bit. I fool changed my tyre in the morning for worse, it was wobbling from start to finish.
    Thanks to all making this great day possible!

• Advertisement

Well done to everyone at MCC, organisers, volunteers, and marshalls. Everything was organised brilliantly from start to finish. There was so much food at the food stops. More than you could ever want. The slices of melon at the stop in Thomastown was great :)

I did the 110km, and I struggled from Woodstock onwards. I had only done two 40km spins since the Tour de Burren back in June, so I only have myself to blame!

For anyone that did the 160km route, chapeau!

As usual the Tour de Kilkenny is well up there as one of the best sportives in the country. From sign in to the grub afterwards nothing was too much trouble. The traditional routes offer challenges to all abilities.
    We rolled out at 9 on the dot, I did the 110 Km, a testing hilly route, felt good until the barrage of inclines which kicked off with the rightly feared Inistoge, it really is a leg breaker and for the next 20 Kms they keep coming at you.My garmin packed in after the first feed stop but I estimate 4 and a half hours for the 110, not bad on that route.
    The last 10 km it eases off but a hard days work has been done by then. So thanks to everyone involved in making today happen, From volunteers to announcers your efforts are much appreciated. It's nice to see the mug back in the goody bag, I must say I missed it.

What a difference a day makes. While yesterday was not a 'beach' day, it was dry and sufficiently warm and sunny to make it the polar opposite of last years drenching and hypothermia. The atmosphere with people sitting around at the rugby club as more cyclists rolled in was brilliant.
    Not aware of any accidents, a few minor mechanical mishaps, but overall a good day for a cycle.
    A big thanks to all those who travelled far and wide to do the event. Ditto to those local folk who are occasional cyclists and turn out every year to do their choice of route.
    The volunteer effort from all the marshals and folk at Listerlin foodstop, various water stops and guys at the rugby club ( some of whom were there from 7am right through to late afternoon) - a big thanks to them all. Hopefully a nice dividend to the various charities when all is done and dusted.
    Thanks also to Skoda for providing two cars for the day.
    Until next year, thanks to all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 93 ✭✭barryf42

did the 160km and what a great day it was - incredibly tough but rewarding coming home - very well run and organised, plenty of sign posts and marshalls at various stages and the melon was lovely at the food stops - so fresh and just needed. best way to describe the route - would be, drag, drag, drag drag , never ending drag
    possibly the best sportive in the south east - tougher than than the dragon.
    will be back next year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,970 ✭✭✭Charlie69

Did you make it down for this? I cycled with a student who had come down on the train.

Loads of photos have been uploaded to the MCC Facebook page!

Charlie69 wrote: »
    Did you make it down for this? I cycled with a student who had come down on the train.

No unfortunately not. I did tackle Dublin and Wicklow hills for the first time ever, took some wrong turns and enjoyed it. Its on my list for next year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭TheDocMan

Managed 160k. Great weather for it! I agree with Unkown Soldier! Relentless! Climbing after climbing (expecting over 2000 meters elevation but there was only 1750). I was struggling with cramps in my legs from 90k which added more hardship. I've tried my luck twice at Kilmanagh beforehand, tough but I was able to get to top even after 50k. Today I hit it at 146k, no luck, had to walk 100 meters after the 'ouch' sign on the tarmac but at least the walking eased my cramp off a bit. I fool changed my tyre in the morning for worse, it was wobbling from start to finish.
    Thanks to all making this great day possible!

Elevation (been riding this every year bar one & 8/9 times as a training ride) is somewhere between 1950 and 2020m depending on what mood the Garmin is in.

I've no comparison, the route was recorded with a Bryton Rider 20e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 218 ✭✭Dipsomaniac

My Strava gave me 2,021m for the 160km route.

By the way, loved the melon. Great idea.

• Advertisement
Advertisement