Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nexus Marshmallow images are now up!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭howamidifferent

I did a full clean install on my Nexus 7 2013 WiFi last night and other than the startup logo and new background wallpaper I can see no difference. Must be all under the hood.. :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Captain Flaps

Anyone know if I can do an OTA from a dev preview? I know this is never the case but a friend mentioned they heard this would be possible with this release but I can't find anything definitive.
    I did a full clean install on my Nexus 7 2013 WiFi last night and other than the startup logo and new background wallpaper I can see no difference. Must be all under the hood.. :confused:

It's mostly under the hood but they've made some nice (and some not so nice) interface/visual tweaks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭howamidifferent

Anyone know if I can do an OTA from a dev preview? I know this is never the case but a friend mentioned they heard this would be possible with this release but I can't find anything definitive.

It's mostly under the hood but they've made some nice (and some not so nice) interface/visual tweaks.

I really cant see why it deserves a major version number? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 930 ✭✭✭aperture_nuig

I really cant see why it deserves a major version number? :confused:

Advertising/Marketing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,747 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

If I download this firmware image, will I still get ota automatically in the future?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,634 ✭✭✭corkie

Anyone know if I can do an OTA from a dev preview?

An OTA to do that probably wont be available!
    Bluefoam wrote: »
    If I download this firmware image, will I still get ota automatically in the future?

As long as you leave it stock and not root or custom recovery installed, you should be able to get the OTA!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭nedd

Updated my nexus 6 earlier and there is very little difference. Google now on tap is clever but nothing else really.

I do have to say it is much smoother just doing everyday things, like swiping away recent apps. Wi-Fi is more stable as well.

Doesn't deserve a major number revision but better none the less.

Edited!

The good news is Chainfire(+New Team) are working on another method to root!

Which no longer has the possibility of causing a factory reset on encrypted devices!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Anyone using a Nexus 5, how are you faring with this image?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭projectgtr

Amalgam wrote: »
    Anyone using a Nexus 5, how are you faring with this image?

Running like a dream but its been just a day now so hard to tell. Phone is flying , no hiccups or stutters or random restarts. No App issues either. Also i was wary of the battery claims but in my limited day with it using it heavily today im finding the battery performance greatly increased but we will see shortly if thats down to a fresh install or the new OS.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭DiscoStu

Flashed the nexus 9 with this last night. Aside from the user facing stuff updates there has been no fix for the excessive ram use by the kernel, cpu throttling on touch, excess heat, slow charging, lag and constant redraws and overly aggressive background task killing. Time to admit 64bit android on a paltry 2gb was a big mistake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 416 ✭✭gouche

Anyone know when this is available OTA on Nexus devices - specifically Nexus5?

DiscoStu wrote: »
    Flashed the nexus 9 with this last night. Aside from the user facing stuff updates there has been no fix for the excessive ram use by the kernel, cpu throttling on touch, excess heat, slow charging, lag and constant redraws and overly aggressive background task killing. Time to admit 64bit android on a paltry 2gb was a big mistake.
    I'm running it on an older Nexus 5 and its flying, so I don't see an issue with 2Gb of RAM. Did you do a clean install or just upgrade?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭DiscoStu

projectgtr wrote: »
    I'm running it on an older Nexus 5 and its flying, so I don't see an issue with 2Gb of RAM. Did you do a clean install or just upgrade?

Its a clean flash, setup from scratch with no apps running aside from what's on the image.

These are issues with the hardware and default kernel on the 9 and not android per say. The kernel is horribly misconfigured and eats more ram in than an equivalent 32bit. the K1 chip is not a real arm device but a completely custom isa with a dynamic code translator that has to recompile everything thrown at it. The cache for that eats 128mb in an already tight memory space. cgroup managed swapping was also backed out of the codebase last November meaning no part of android runtime can be given any higher priority over any other running process In practise this means systemui or your launcher or anything else can get paged out and will be slow as hell resuming when swapped back in.

K1 needs a whole lot of ram and a much larger code cache to be able to effectively multi task and that is in extremely short supply on that paltry 2gb.

Aside from the general nexus 9 crappieness it looks like a nice usability update.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭Shlippery

gouche wrote: »
    Anyone know when this is available OTA on Nexus devices - specifically Nexus5?

The OTA image was released today, got it on reddit and successfully used adb sideload to upgrade without losing anything!

Marshmallow running smoothly so far on my Nexus 5!

Will have to do me a while more as I can't justify buying the new one at insane € prices...!

Link to thread on reddit, with OTA file and guide to sideloading!

Edited

The good news is Chainfire(+New Team) are working on another method to root!

Which no longer has the possibility of causing a factory reset on encrypted devices!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

OTA came in about 2 hours ago and its still downloading unfortunately, stock Nexus 5....

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Just about to start downloading from automatic notification on my N5 now.

[GUIDE] Enable Multi-Window Mode on Android 6.0 Marshmallow

Anyone else test this feature out yet?

Note: Build.Prop Editor doesn't work!

Use the adb method!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

DiscoStu wrote: »

These are issues with the hardware and default kernel on the 9 and not android per say. The kernel is horribly misconfigured and eats more ram in than an equivalent 32bit. the K1 chip is not a real arm device but a completely custom isa with a dynamic code translator that has to recompile everything thrown at it. The cache for that eats 128mb in an already tight memory space. cgroup managed swapping was also backed out of the codebase last November meaning no part of android runtime can be given any higher priority over any other running process In practise this means systemui or your launcher or anything else can get paged out and will be slow as hell resuming when swapped back in.

27442981.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Captain Flaps

Had to flash the official image about 5 times over the dev preview because I somehow deleted my recovery during the first wipe. Up and running now and really enjoying the new little touches throughout

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

Anyone got it on Nexus 7 (OTA)?

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Annie_Oakes

I'm getting a bit fed up with Android TBH, still waiting for the OTA Marshmallow update for my Nexus 5.

It began rolling out Monday and still nothing, so annoying. It'd be nice to have timely updates rather than checking my phone every few hours!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 416 ✭✭gouche

Still no OTA on my Nexus 5 :(

I'm getting a bit fed up with Android TBH, still waiting for the OTA Marshmallow update for my Nexus 5.

It began rolling out Monday and still nothing, so annoying. It'd be nice to have timely updates rather than checking my phone every few hours!

Monday? I believe the ota update only started today... In terms of timely updates, what do you mean? I would have considered marshmallow relatively timely. It's a staged update.

Monday? I believe the ota update only started today... In terms of timely updates, what do you mean? I would have considered marshmallow relatively timely. It's a staged update.

From what I've read the OTA updates began rolling out on Monday. 5starpool advised earlier in the thread that he got a notification and downloaded his update yesterday.

With regards to timely, I had an iPhone for years - Apple announce iOS version X is available from Y date on Y date I go to my settings and download, on the day of release every single time.

My frustration is with Googles slow roll-out - this from the official Android blog: "**The Nexus update to Android 6.0 Marshmallow occurs in stages and some carriers will receive the update later than others."

My expectation is that owning a Nexus phone running stock Android I could have updates on the day of release.

coldfire1x wrote: »
    Anyone got it on Nexus 7 (OTA)?
    gouche wrote: »
    Still no OTA on my Nexus 5 :(

For those waiting for OTA? Why not sideload it?

Link to OTA files now available

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

The rollout started yesterday evening?

I'm always usually always one of the last to get it, seems I'm first this time round... :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

corkie wrote: »
    For those waiting for OTA? Why not sideload it?

Link to OTA files now available

I am just too lazy :D

• Advertisement

I'd probably brick my phone, I don't trust my technical ability.

If that makes you fed up maybe Android and the Nexus program are not for you. the beauty of the Nexus program is that the images are put up and you can flash them instantly no need for OTAs if you dont want. Its that kinda person the Nexus program was originally aimed at. Both eco systems have their flaws with their OS rollouts but ill stick with Androids thanks

projectgtr wrote: »
    If that makes you fed up maybe Android and the Nexus program are not for you. the beauty of the Nexus program is that the images are put up and you can flash them instantly no need for OTAs if you dont want. Its that kinda person the Nexus program was originally aimed at. Both eco systems have their flaws with their OS rollouts but ill stick with Androids thanks

OK, thanks for the advice. As a consumer paying money for products I shouldn't have to "flash" "images", unlike you I dont see any "beauty" in that. Should I take time out of my life to learn to flash images? Cmon.

How about a bit of patience. They release the ota to millions of devices around the world. Is a few hours actually that long to wait? What features are you desperate to have right now!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭droidman123

Here's a few handy hints and tips to get the best out of marshmallow

https://www.androidpit.com/android-m-tips-and-tricks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

What's the big deal with step 1, you can uninstall apps from the home screen and app drawer on previous versions?

• Advertisement

ThisRegard wrote: »
    What's the big deal with step 1, you can uninstall apps from the home screen and app drawer on previous versions?

No, you could only "remove" apps from the home screen,now you can remove them or uninstall them directly from the home screen,you don't have to go to the app drawer

Just a slight difference then, you can uninstall already them from the app drawer 5.1 for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭illdoit2morrow

OTA'ed on my Nexus 9 last night.

I like the now to tap feature, tablet appears to be a bit slower redrawing home screen after closing an app, swiping appears faster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,027 ✭✭✭opus

I sideloaded the OTA zip onto my N7, worked fine. Tbh I haven't noticed much difference although the battery seems to hardly lose anything overnight, assume that's the new 'doze' feature working its magic.

What version of the N7 did you stick it on ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,027 ✭✭✭opus

ThisRegard wrote: »
    What version of the N7 did you stick it on ?

It's only available for the 2013 version afaik. Mine is the wifi only one.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,706 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Got Marshmallow OTA for my Nexus 5 last night but Snapchat no longer works. All else appears ok but no major improvements so bit disappointed

Got Marshmallow OTA for my Nexus 5 last night but Snapchat no longer works. All else appears ok but no major improvements so bit disappointed

I don't use snapchat myself, but I,m sure they will have an update soon to get the app compatible with marshmallow. it happened with mx player before when the, I think,jellybean or KitKat update arrived.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,706 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

I don't use snapchat myself, but I,m sure they will have an update soon to get the app compatible with marshmallow. it happened with mx player before when the, I think,jellybean or KitKat update arrived.

Yeah hopefully, my fitbit is no longer syncing with the app as well so hopefully that will be fixed as well!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

I don't mind previous versions but app devs shouldnt have this problem with Marshmallow as this is what the betas were released for.

OK, thanks for the advice. As a consumer paying money for products I shouldn't have to "flash" "images", unlike you I dont see any "beauty" in that. Should I take time out of my life to learn to flash images? Cmon.

If your giving out about receiving the latest OS before the flagship reference device built to launch it is even out yet you may want to consider your choice in devices This is how its done, if you cant be arsed flashing then wait for the OTA. If thats a big deal then it looks like Apple is for you, maybe Windows im not 100% how they work things over there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭StereoSound

People who buy the Nexus class of device are probably generally techy types so for most flashing would be straight forward and it is generally easy to do it. I'd love to buy one of the new Nexus phones but prices are abit out there this time round.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,534 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

If you're unsure what's new in Marshmallow compared to Lollipop, this review should clear things up.

http://www.androidcentral.com/android-60-marshmallow-review#content

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
Advertisement