Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Massive difference in speedtest.net results

• 26-02-2014 9:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭

Paying for 150/10. Seems a lot of the servers in Ireland are completely inadequate. Vodafone seem to be the best so far..

Fast Wireless Internet - Limerick
    3334271776.png

BBNet - Shannon
    3334275440.png

Airwire - Galway
    3334279155.png

Vodafone - Dublin
    3334281658.png

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,299 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Never done this test before ,with permanet ,is this slow /fast, what does it mean?

http://www.speedtest.net/result/3334303260.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

SCOOP 64 wrote: »
    Never done this test before ,with permanet ,is this slow /fast, what does it mean?

http://www.speedtest.net/result/3334303260.png

It's pretty slow alright. What are you paying for?

It's pretty slow alright. What are you paying for?

10Mb Download Speed
    512Kb Upload speed
    40Gb Traffic Quota

Permanet €50 a month with home phone.

10Mb Download Speed
    512Kb Upload speed
    40Gb Traffic Quota

Permanet €50 a month with home phone.

Where are you located? That is a very high price to pay for such low speeds. And I am talking about the speed they advertise.

The speedtest results will vary wildly depending on what server you choose but it seems way below what they are selling you.

Where are you located? That is a very high price to pay for such low speeds. And I am talking about the speed they advertise.

The speedtest results will vary wildly depending on what server you choose but it seems way below what they are selling you.

Base in wexford.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

Paying for 150/10. Seems a lot of the servers in Ireland are completely inadequate. Vodafone seem to be the best so far..

Fast Wireless Internet - Limerick
    http://www.speedtest.net/result/3334271776.png

BBNet - Shannon
    http://www.speedtest.net/result/3334275440.png

Airwire - Galway
    http://www.speedtest.net/result/3334279155.png

Vodafone - Dublin
    http://www.speedtest.net/result/3334281658.png

Wired or wireless?
    Wireless speedtests don't give good comparison. There are many local factors that could affect the signal.

Laptop on wireless (speedtest), desktop connected.
    Using skpe very frustrating.

RangeR wrote: »
    Wired or wireless?
    Wireless speedtests don't give good comparison. There are many local factors that could affect the signal.

It's wired. The suppose the point I am trying to make is that most of the speedtest servers in Ireland are completely inadequate. Vodafone is the only one able to handle the 150Mb connection.

It's wired. The suppose the point I am trying to make is that most of the speedtest servers in Ireland are completely inadequate. Vodafone is the only one able to handle the 150Mb connection.

If you admit this fact, why do the tests? Bear with me.....

Forget speedtests. Just forget them. Instead, do your own.

Pick 10 large files on the interweb [heanet is a good place and has StupidAmount of bandwidth. You WILL NOT max it out on your line.]. If not using Heanet, then pick 4 or 5 different servers.

So, begin to download 10 large files. More if you want to be sure. After about 30 to 60 seconds, see what speed they are all downloading at. Add these speeds together and you get the ACTUAL speed of your line at that point.

Yeah, it won't be as sexy as SppedTest.net but, as you say, it can be fundamentally broken for very high speeds.

Laptop on wireless (speedtest), desktop connected.
    Using skpe very frustrating.

Try wired. Just as a test.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Most speed test servers are only good up to 20Mbps.

RangeR idea is best. Even THIRTY files from DIFFERENT servers and add the speeds. many servers throttle downloads to an upper limit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nolars

Base in wexford.

Can you g et rocket? they have unlimted data.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

For a country that is so focused on computing our internet speeds are laughable! Mine in Galway is ok but not great considering it's a city.

Nolars wrote: »
    Can you g et rocket? they have unlimted data.

Just checked, According to the coverage map im just out of the area.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nolars

Just checked, According to the coverage map im just out of the area.

give them a try neway they are ok for unlimited data and about 25 a month. ive been with them a few months as eircom wer horrible only offering 3 megs.

3337099674.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭long_b

Why exactly are 150 Mb connections featuring in this forum ?
    Bad taste surely ?

Yup. It would seem to be misplaced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Maybe the Mod with super powers can move this to here
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=259

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

Report post is your (and my) friend. I thought the thread had died, but since it hasn't:

Moved from IrelandOffline to Broadband

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,388 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Adamocovic wrote: »
    For a country that is so focused on computing our internet speeds are laughable! Mine in Galway is ok but not great considering it's a city.

I know Speedtest has been debunked as a reliable measure, which I would agree with. But they have come up with figures which put Ireland at 43rd best in the world. Would you describe the others around us as laughable?

The fact that we have some industries connected with computing has nothing to do with the broadband infrastructure. And just because you live in a city it does not necessarily guarantee good speeds. Parts of Dublin city have no fibre yet.

http://www.netindex.com/download/allcountries/

• Advertisement

I got a reply back from permanet about the above speed results (see post above).

Thank you for your query regarding the speed of your internet connection provided by permaNET. We have reviewed your case and have concluded that we can't find any issue with your connection.
    Please note that the service you are subscribed to is a contended service, this means that the bandwidth which is allocated to you can be shared among other permaNET customers. For business customers this contention ratio is 15:1, for residential customers this ration is 20:1. This is stated in our terms and conditions of service. A copy of this is available on request.
    Please note that the advertised download and upload speeds of your pack are the maximum speeds you can receive at any time. permaNET does not guarantee that you will receive these speed at all times.
    Even though your speed is currently slower than it has been it is still within the contention ratio mentioned above.
    At permaNET we work hard to provide our customers with a high quality service and we always aim to provide our customers near maximum speeds at all times.
    We have a number of upgrades planned which will improve the speed of the service throughout the day.
    Currently we don't have a timeframe for when this work will be completed by, until this work is complete you will not be receiving maximum download speed during peak times.
    Please don't hesitate to contact us should you wish to discuss this further.
    Kind regards
    Keith

So permanet dont see a issue ,so this is the best i can expect for €50 a month.

I got a reply back from permanet about the above speed results (see post above).

So permanet dont see a issue ,so this is the best i can expect for €50 a month.

There may be no issue. They are providing what they promised. 10Mb within 20:1 contention. The minimum they have to serve you is 500Kpbs [0.5Mb].

However, if you were never getting close to 8Mb or 9Mb or 10Mb at any single point in the day [1am, 5am, 4pm etc], this could point to over crowding. On a service like this, speeds would tend to dip in peak times. Off peak, you should be getting full speed or very close to it.

In this scenario, off peak is when few people are consuming bandwidth.

Gonna be hard to prove.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 oran2011

0.11mbit/sec

Advertisement