Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Department appoints man from department.

Options
  • 13-12-2013 2:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭

Kevin O’Brien, formerly a principal officer in the Department of Communications Energy and Natural Resources, has been appointed chairman of the Commissioners for Communications Regulation (ComReg)

Its not clear whether he is on leave of absence or has formally left the civil service.
    Minister Rabbitte recently appointed Mr. Kevin O Brien as the ComReg Chairperson. Congratulating Mr. O’Brien on his appointment Minister Rabbitte said “I am looking forward to continuing co-operation with ComReg in its regulation of the electronic and postal communication markets which generate annual revenues exceeding €4.5 billion with the support of an estimated 34,000 staff. ComReg has an essential role in promoting competition, consumer protection and facilitating the roll out of fixed and mobile high speed broadband services, as well as maintaining a universal postal service at an affordable price. Although independent in its functions, ComReg works within the EU and National policy environment to assist in ensuring better telecommunications and postal services for all citizens. I look forward to working with the new Commissioners in achieving these outcomes.” Messrs Fahy and Godfrey both joined ComReg as Commissioners in September 2013.
    http://www.dcenr.gov.ie/Press+Releases/2013/Minister+Rabbitte+recent+appointment+of+Mr.+Kevin+O+Brien+as+the+ComReg+Chairperson.htm

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

No adverts and job interviews?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭clohamon

watty wrote: »
    No adverts and job interviews?

He got the commissioner job "following an open competition for the post conducted by the Public Appointments Service (PAS)"

The appointment to the chairman's role was seemingly in the gift of the Minister under the Act.

but..
    2) The Minister shall, when appointing the chairperson, with the consent of the Minister for Finance, fix the terms and conditions, including remuneration, of the chairperson.

Question remains whether he is still a principal officer in the civil service. If you want to see an example of how this works in practice check out Pat Wallace's (former Director of the National Museum) interview with Marian Finucane The relevant part starts about 22 minutes in.

Pat Wallace (PW)
    Marian Finucane (MF)

MF:You yourself are a principal officer
    PW:Principal Officer Grade 1, yes. Its a mediocre grade there are thousands of principal officers in the civil service. The department of Finance made sure we were kept at that level. So was Ray Keaveney [Director of the National Gallery] and so was Michael Ryan [Chester Beatty Library] , and my contemporaries in the National Cultural Institutions were all at that level.
    MF: You think that's very negative?
    PW: Well, I don't mind the money. I tell you, though, what I do mind is being reminded at meetings that you're only a principal officer.
    MF: And would they?
    PW: Yes.
    MF: But you were also the Director.
    PW: I was the Director and I was known around the country and I was known abroad for my archeological work but you're still kept in your place and that's why you'll have more of that now if our civil service gets a full grip on the museum.
    MF: I'm just amazed that people would say you're only a principal officer.
    PW: I know that's exactly right.
    MF: Is that the culture within the civil service.
    PW: Yes it is, very much so.
    MF: So if I disagree… if I'm a principal officer and I'm at a meeting and I disagree with those more senior to me and I articulate it.
    PW: There are many thousands more senior than the Director of the Museum or the director of the National library in the Civil Service, it's crazy but there you are.
    MF: And that matters?
    PW: It does in the civil service. It doesn't to Ministers or doesn't to visiting dignatories….
    I don't think the public at large understand what the civil service is about. It's a control system emanating from the department of Finance and to some extent, Marian, it's a club.
    MF: A club?
    PW: Mm..[Yes]
    MF: At the upper echelons?
    PW: Yes…Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

Smells like a roll over and tickle my tummy type appointment...The Comreg watchdog^H^H^H^H^H poodle is alive and well...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭Bits_n_Bobs

Clearly the best man for the job...that could be found within the civil service.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭clohamon

Robert Troy (Longford-Westmeath, Fianna Fail)
    461. To ask the Minister for Communications, Energy and Natural Resources if he will clarify the employment status within the Civil Service of the ComReg chairman (details supplied); if he has resigned or is on leave of absence from the Civil Service; and if so, the grade he currently holds and any continuing rights he retains with regard to pension entitlements, increments, seniority or rank when his term or terms as commissioner finish; and if he will make a statement on the matter. [4254/14]

Pat Rabbitte (Minister, Department of Communications, Energy and Natural Resources; Dublin South West, Labour)
    The position of Chairperson of ComReg is currently held by a Principal Officer on secondment from my Department for the duration of his tenure with the Commission. The appointment was made following a public competition. His pensionable pay continues to be based on his salary in his substantive grade of Principal Officer and is subject to pay adjustments during the period of secondment in line with adjustments to the remuneration of the Principal Officer grade. This is in accordance with the terms of the competition under which the person in question was appointed a ComReg Commissioner.
    The Chairperson is paid a non-pensionable allowance by ComReg which brings his salary to that applicable to his position in the Commission. If, during the term of his secondment, an adjustment is made to his pensionable pay, for any reason, including increments payable in his substantive grade within the Department, the non-pensionable allowance is recalculated accordingly. Entitlement to, and payment of, this non-pensionable allowance will cease on termination of the secondment and he will return to the Department on the salary and the terms and conditions then pertaining to his substantive grade of Principal Officer.

http://www.kildarestreet.com/wrans/?id=2014-01-28a.961&s=speaker%3A341#g962.q

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Humphrey couldn't have put it better.

Advertisement