Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who does house go to?

Options
  • 04-06-2011 6:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭

Anyone help me win an argument????? My uncle inherited a house from my granny. Never married, no kids.

Just say there is no will made, who does the house go to?

My dad reckons, himself and his brother and sister inherit the house equally. 3 equal shares.

My dad has 2 siblings that are dead, so i reckon its divided 5 ways, 3 to the living siblings and the families of the 2 dead siblings inherit the other 2 shares!

Who is right??????

And just to point out, my uncle is fine and healthy and going no where fast!!! Thank God!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,355 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

You are right, your dad is wrong. If your uncle dies intestate (i.e. leaving no will) and the relationships are as you outline then the estate is divided in a system known as per stirpes. It will be split five ways, one-fifth each to the three surviving siblings and the children of the deceased siblings will split their parents' share equally i.e. each family gets one-fifth to split among the nieces and nephews so if one family has three children, they will get 1/15 each and if there are two children in the other family, they will get 1/10 each.

If the three surviving siblings predeceased your uncle such that all of the next of kin are of the same relationship then the estate will be divided equally among all of the nieces and nephews, as long as there is one surviving sibling it is divided per stirpes.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1965/en/act/pub/0027/sec0069.html#sec69

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭maiden

Thanks soooo much, argument won!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

maiden wrote: »
    Thanks soooo much, argument won!!!

I hope you made a bet with him.

:D

Advertisement