Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Truck permanently parked on footpath

• 31-05-2011 8:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭

Hi looking for opinions.

I walk to and from work daily. There is a truck advertising a garage permanently parked on a footpath near a roundabout a few hundred yards away from the industrial estate i work in.

Myself, other workers and pedestrians have to walk around this truck onto the road which is quite dangerous.

Am i legally allowed to complain about this?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭234

Contact the local authority and lodge a complaint there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Of course you're allowed complain and you should, especially if it puts you and others at risk. Parking on a footpath is a traffic offence, enforceable by a Traffic Warden and Gardaí. Gardaí would be my first port of call.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Reloc8

James400 wrote: »
    Am i legally allowed to complain about this?

Yes.

Call the gardai.

Can I ask (genuine question) why you think you might not be (allowed to complain about it) ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭James400

Reloc8 wrote: »
    Yes.

Call the gardai.

Can I ask (genuine question) why you think you might not be (allowed to complain about it) ?
    Hi all, thanks for the feedback.

I assumed that the truck might have been allowed to do that as it was advertising something? You'll have to excuse my ignorance on this, which is why i'm asking on the forum.

Seriously though, the truck in question is quite large and it is parked sideways directly on the footpath totally blocking that particular section of path.

So as i walk along the path from work, when i approach the roundabout i eventually have to walk on the road (i.e. walk around this truck). The advert would be one of those large canvas type ads which are tied onto the back of the truck.

Also this truck is located a few feet away from a large garage/shop so people are walking around this frequently enough during the day.

Obviously dangerous, if i'm permitted to do something about it i probably will.

I'd be interested in more views.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭Resend

Hi all, thanks for the feedback.

I assumed that the truck might have been allowed to do that as it was advertising something? You'll have to excuse my ignorance on this, which is why i'm asking on the forum.

Seriously though, the truck in question is quite large and it is parked sideways directly on the footpath totally blocking that particular section of path.

So as i walk along the path from work, when i approach the roundabout i eventually have to walk on the road (i.e. walk around this truck). The advert would be one of those large canvas type ads which are tied onto the back of the truck.

Also this truck is located a few feet away from a large garage/shop so people are walking around this frequently enough during the day.

Obviously dangerous, if i'm permitted to do something about it i probably will.

I'd be interested in more views.
    write to the garda superintendent give details inc reg number of truck

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

I know from past experience thee is a specific traffic offence called something like dangerous parking, that carries up to 5 penalty points, if my memory serves me correctly. I believe one of the criteria is if it causes pedestrians to walk onto the road to get past. Just found the information here... hope this helps http://www.rulesoftheroad.ie/rules-for-driving/parking/illegal-or-dangerous-parking.html

Dangerous parking
    If you park in a way that is likely to cause danger to other road users, for example, if it forces a pedestrian out onto the roadway, a Garda can decide that this is dangerous parking and prosecute you. If you are convicted of this offence, you will receive five penalty points. this offence, you will receive five penalty points

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭James400

Hi all,

Thanks very much for the info. I was thinking about this today when walking home from work (and when i was walking around this truck again) of how incredibly dangerous this actually is.

I'll take all of your great advice onboard.

If anyone else has another view on this i'd be interested/ or similar cases of this.

Hi all,

Thanks very much for the info. I was thinking about this today when walking home from work (and when i was walking around this truck again) of how incredibly dangerous this actually is.

I'll take all of your great advice onboard.

If anyone else has another view on this i'd be interested/ or similar cases of this.
    Is it in a place where garda cars or patrols pass? If so you could ask the super do they not see it

report it to the gardai!
    maybe they have seen it but just not done anything because;
    1. there is a traffic warden they assume to be looking after it.
    2. they havent had any complaints and assume people are not bothered!

just because gardai pass by doesnt mean they are always in a position to stop.
    just ring in a complaint to local station, superintendent, im sure a ticket wont be long in being issued!

bubblypop wrote: »
    report it to the gardai!
    maybe they have seen it but just not done anything because;
    1. there is a traffic warden they assume to be looking after it.
    2. they havent had any complaints and assume people are not bothered!

just ring in a complaint to local station, superintendent, im sure a ticket wont be long in being issued!
    whether people are bothered or not the gardai should be able to see the potential danger of
    Myself, other workers and pedestrians have to walk around this truck onto the road which is quite dangerous.
    and do their duty. write super

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

bubblypop wrote: »

What else would they be doing is this not why we have Gardai out on patrol? This is exactly the kind of things that they should be dealing with it. You can be guaranteed that if you a ring a garda station that you will be greeted with disdain and disinterest but I suppose you go through the motions as a good citizen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

Of course if you were up to it you could always make up your own advert and stick it over the one that's there or a little cheeky modification of the one that's on the truck. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 158 ✭✭Darthvadar

Or you could call the company that the truck's advertising, and tell them how bad it will look for them if say, a child, or a wheelchair user gets hurt by having to go onto the road to get around their 'advertising'...

Did this myself in similar circumstances... Company VERY apologetic when I explained that as a wheelchair user such selfish behaviour put me, and others at risk...

Truck never there again, and I got flowers and champagne from the company...

Darth...

Darthvadar wrote: »
    Or you could call the company that the truck's advertising, and tell them how bad it will look for them if say, a child, or a wheelchair user gets hurt by having to go onto the road to get around their 'advertising'...

Did this myself in similar circumstances... Company VERY apologetic when I explained that as a wheelchair user such selfish behaviour put me, and others at risk...

Truck never there again, and I got flowers and champagne from the company...

Darth...
    I would complain the gardai they are not doing their job and then talking about road safety.probably know the advertiser or getting a back hander

• Registered Users Posts: 2,071 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

I would ring up the garage owner and tell him to remove his truck or else I will lodge an official complaint.

Finnbar01 wrote: »
    I would ring up the garage owner and tell him to remove his truck or else I will lodge an official complaint.
    i would just lodge the official complaint about the truck and the gardai

• Registered Users Posts: 2,071 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

Resend wrote: »
    i would just lodge the official complaint about the truck and the gardai

Would it not be better to give your man a ring and try and sort it like that? I mean, do we really need to go and ring the garda for every little trivialities of life.

Granted if you man refuses to remove it, than go and complain to the gardaí.

Would it not be better to give your man a ring and try and sort it like that? I mean, do we really need to go and ring the garda for every little trivialities of life.

Granted if you man refuses to remove it, than go and complain to the gardaí.
    don't think so gardai are not doing their duty. they are always lecturing on road safety and here is a dangerous situation and they ignore it. They are obliged to enforce the road traffic act of which that is a breach. So either thye are not doing their job or should not have been allowed to join the force as they seem to have vision problems

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭John400

The garage owner is quite clearly breaking the law by blocking the path, not to mention creating a hazard to both pedestrians and motorists/ cyclists/ motorbikes etc...while being at the same time creating a potentially dangerous/ life-threathening situation by allowing the truck to be where it is.

The gardai should be contacted.

Certainly ain't trivial.

Advertisement