Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lost house deeds: procedure

• 19-05-2011 1:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭

If, say, a bank lost the deeds of a house, what what would be the procedure (and the timeframe and cost) for obtaining replacement documentation that would allow that house to be sold?

Thanks, lads...

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭Milk & Honey

Is the title Land Registry or Registry of Deeds?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

If the bank lost them demand they replace them at their expense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

Is the title Land Registry or Registry of Deeds?

Let's say for the sake of argument that no-one knows.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭234

Well then go the respective regestries and check.

234 wrote: »
    Well then go the respective regestries and check.

With all due respect, that doesn't help to answer the general question of what the procedures and timeframe might be.

Ok, let's say that title is registered.

• Advertisement

Here. If you googled it you would have had your answer in 10 seconds.

Here. If you googled it you would have had your answer in 10 seconds.

Thanks, I read that before... Which of those FAQs do you think answered my initial question with regard to procedure, timeframe, cost, acceptability of the documents for a conveyance? Number 5?

Number 21 was the most useful: "When a title is accepted for registration in the Land Registry the original title documents are retained and permanently filed. A folio is opened in respect of the property and generally it is not necessary to refer to the original title documents again. A certified copy of this folio can be obtained with or without a copy of the map outlining the property".

Ok; let's now assume that the title is unregistered.

Well in the FAQs it tells you how much it costs to get a certified copy of your folio and tells you the timeframe. Questions 5 & 6.
    If the property iss unregistered then you are in a lot more trouble. Even if some of th documents were registered in the registry of deeds they don't keep actual copies. If the land is unregistered and you want to sell then you need to talk to a solicitor immediately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 challenges

If, say, a bank lost the deeds of a house, what what would be the procedure (and the timeframe and cost) for obtaining replacement documentation that would allow that house to be sold?

Thanks, lads...

Does anyone know what to do if you suspect that your own solicitor has mislaid the deeds but will not admit it? I am 99% certain that my solicitor was in possession of my deeds a few years ago, but now he swears he doesnt have them!! All other possibilities have been looked into , and its most likely that he has them. I should say that his office was broken into at one point and deeds belonging to a relative of mine went missing!! Any idea what to do please??

Well in the FAQs it tells you how much it costs to get a certified copy of your folio and tells you the timeframe. Questions 5 & 6.
    If the property iss unregistered then you are in a lot more trouble. Even if some of th documents were registered in the registry of deeds they don't keep actual copies. If the land is unregistered and you want to sell then you need to talk to a solicitor immediately.

Thanks for that. In your experience, if it was discovered after an offer had been made on a property for sale that the deeds (unregistered) were lost, is the timeframe involved in reconstructing title prohibitive? As in, would the potential buyers be likely to walk away?

• Advertisement

Thanks for that. In your experience, if it was discovered after an offer had been made on a property for sale that the deeds (unregistered) were lost, is the timeframe involved in reconstructing title prohibitive? As in, would the potential buyers be likely to walk away?
    You need a solicitor to answer those questions. I am not competant to advise you and even if I was I would decline to do so on an online forum. I wishyou the best of luck in selling your house.

You need a solicitor to answer those questions. I am not competant to advise you and even if I was I would decline to do so on an online forum. I wishyou the best of luck in selling your house.

Actually, I'm not selling anything, nor am I looking for advice. My interest is purely hypothetical, based on a case study I read about in a report by the financial ombudsman regarding a bank losing deeds. (or, more accurately, in MOP's summary here: http://hb.betterregulation.com/external/Financial%20Services%20Ombudsman%20Case%20Studies.pdf).

Let me rephrase the initial question:

What practical difficulties/delays are likely in the sale of an unregistered property if the deeds for that property were lost by a bank?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭dermot_sheehan

You'd have no evidence of title to the property if you needed to sell/mortgage it.

You would need to apply to register the property and submit any and all evidence of ownership including photocopies of the title deeds, extracts from memorials registered in the registry of deeds, searches in the registry of deeds etc, along with an affidavit outlinging what happened to the deeds.

The landregistry may require that the application be advertised or that you get out a title insurance policy for a certain number of years for the benefit of the state.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

If you lived in a property for more than a dozen years would the adverse possession route make any sense to go down in the case of unregistered land?

I'm glad my property is land registry not deeds...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 479 ✭✭_JOE_

Best route would be a bond to cover the property in respect of the lost deeds, followed by an application if unregistered, for first registration in the PRA.

As Dermot alluded to, this would involve submitting all copies of any docs in your possession coupled with declarations and affidavits as prescribed by the PRA.

Timeline, i'm not certain but the PRA would be your first port of call. From experience, it won't be any time soon unless you can get the matter expedited.

Actually, I'm not selling anything, nor am I looking for advice. My interest is purely hypothetical, based on a case study I read about in a report by the financial ombudsman regarding a bank losing deeds. (or, more accurately, in MOP's summary here: http://hb.betterregulation.com/external/Financial%20Services%20Ombudsman%20Case%20Studies.pdf).

I'd forgotten about this thread! Does anyone mind if I yet again rephrase the hypothetical question?

In the financial ombudsman's report mentioned, a bank had to pay minor damages because of the inconvenience caused by their loss of deeds.

It strikes me that a property sale falling through because of a bank's loss of deeds and the concomitant delay in reconstructing title would represent a significant inconvenience.

But is it one that could be a cause of action?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭Hippo

I'd forgotten about this thread! Does anyone mind if I yet again rephrase the hypothetical question?

In the financial ombudsman's report mentioned, a bank had to pay minor damages because of the inconvenience caused by their loss of deeds.

It strikes me that a property sale falling through because of a bank's loss of deeds and the concomitant delay in reconstructing title would represent a significant inconvenience.

But is it one that could be a cause of action?

There was a substantial action involving a financial institution in this jurisdiction in just such a case in the last few years. Having finished my exams, I can of course no longer recall the name, sorry!

Advertisement