Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Niteclub camera footage

• 18-05-2011 4:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭

How long is a niteclub obliged to keep video footage. A friend of mine prevented a mob trashing a bouncer but got a nice little scar in the process. This happened over two years ago, he was wondering was he entitled to access to the niteclub footage but they say they have none. How long are they supposed to keep such video footage if any?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

Up to them afaik. I was assaulted by bouncers a while back, reported it to the Gardaí, he went down the next day to try and get footage (it happen right in front of the cameras) and it had been "automatically wiped"

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

Old place I used to work in kept it for 30 days. Digital recordings so unless it was flagged by someone it would automatically be deleted. If someone big trouble broke out and it looked likely footage would be needed the manager would flag it and it would keep for 90 days. It could be kept longer too if needed but general rule of thumb was if no guard came looking within 3 months it'll be deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

My digital system can be set to automatically record over when the disk is full.

If I set high quality, it happens every seven days. Low quality upto a month I think.

Unless you copy something to dvd disk, it will be lost automatically depending on the settings of the machine. I am unaware of any requirement to keep it for a set length of time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

Usually 30 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭murrayp4

No set limit. How long a place keeps cctv usually depends on the storage capacity of the recorder. Usually these recorders automatically overwrite older data when capacity is reached.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Can be anywhere from 10 to 30 days before data is overwritten.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

Use of CCTV in non-domestic situations e.g. night clubs is now covered by the Data Protection Acts. It recommends that images should not be retained for any longer than 28 days unless there's good reason.

Guidance notes here: http://www.dataprotection.ie/viewdoc.asp?m=m&fn=/documents/guidance/cctv.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭Darith

Would my friend be entitled to try for compensation if he wanted. I doubt it personally as it wasn't the niteclub's fault directly and he voluntarily choose to do the human thing and help this Security Officer when he got into trouble?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭blueythebear

Darith wrote: »
    Would my friend be entitled to try for compensation if he wanted. I doubt it personally as it wasn't the niteclub's fault directly and he voluntarily choose to do the human thing and help this Security Officer when he got into trouble?

It's over two years ago so he would be statute barred (unless he was under 18 at the time perhaps) unfortunately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

About 10 years ago I worked in CCTV wholesale, we sold the camera, recorders etc to the industry, the tapes, yes that long ago, were sold at 31 at a time and the lockable tape holders were designed to hold 3 tapes. There was nothing in law back then as to how long they should tapes for. Probably them same now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,491 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Darith wrote: »
    There was a recent supermarket case (security guard asked for help from member of the public, who was uinjured and sued the supermarket). Judge held that supermarket was negligent to not have more security and the member of the public.

But personal injury cases normally need to be taken within two years.

Advertisement