Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Contacting foreign affairs

Options
  • 10-07-2010 10:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭

Can someone give me a hypothetical situation when I might get in contact with the department of foreign affairs re: my passport?

This is a hypothetical question, I'm looking to complete a short politics fact file for my cspe kids.

Would it be right to say that if I lost my passport abroad I would have to contact the dept?

hope this is in the right place

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭Sulmac

You would contact the nearest Irish embassy if you lost your passport abroad (or, another EU member state embassy if there is no Irish one in that country).

This section of the Department's website should help:

http://www.dfa.ie/home/index.aspx?id=35

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

If you lose your passport abroad, it's very serious.
    And if you don't speak the local language you might not know where to turn.

Yes, you call the Department and they will help, explain the procedure and tell you who to contact
    Or go straight to the local office but we don't have one in every country obviously.
    If You Lose Your Passport

lf you lose your passport abroad you should immediately report the loss to the local police and then to the nearest Irish Embassy or Consulate.

Ask the Police for a written statement that you have reported the loss. You will require this to obtain a temporary passport from an Irish Mission.

In certain circumstances, for example when you are returning directly to Ireland, an Emergency Travel Document rather than a passport may be issued. Most Honorary Consuls do not issue passports and can only issue Emergency Travel Documents.

http://www.dfa.ie/home/index.aspx?id=277#pp

• Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭peanuthead

yeah I've been on that page for the last while.

Would it be true to say "If you lose your passport while abroad, for example, the Irish embassy in that country (a representative of the department of foreign affairs) will help you"

thanks a lot for your help

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭Sulmac

peanuthead wrote: »
    yeah I've been on that page for the last while.

Would it be true to say "If you lose your passport while abroad, for example, the Irish embassy in that country (a representative of the department of foreign affairs) will help you"

thanks a lot for your help

Yeah, that's pretty much spot on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭ANXIOUS

Yeah they would be the ones issueing you a new one. If you live outside of Ireland you apply Or reapply for a passport in your nearest embassy.

• Advertisement

Thanks a million! so helpful! :)

thanks a million again. If you want to see my quiz anyway, here it is! What do you guys think?

http://quiz.scoilnet.ie/Quiz.aspx?qid=1538

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

You quoted me word for word for Question 5! :
    Drop me a pm so we arrange for you to send me a cheque for royalties :D

Edit, I'm not correcting you honest, best we sort this before your students catch ya

This department is also concerned with helping to dissolve any existing issues in Northern Ireland.

I'd say you meant resolve and not dissolve. If Micheal Martin wanted to dissolve Northern Ireland some would think we were going to invade :eek:

You quoted me word for word for Question 5! :
    Drop me a pm so we arrange for you to send me a cheque for royalties :D

Edit, I'm not correcting you honest, best we sort this before your students catch ya

I'd say you meant resolve and not dissolve. If Micheal Martin wanted to dissolve Northern Ireland some would think we were going to invade :eek:

lol, that is exactly what I meant, lol. I think what happened here was that I starting quoting the website and then changed it into my own words half way through. I don't think I can even change it now! lol, I will contact the admin before they approve it to go live on the site and let them know, although they will probably cop that anyway. Thanks for that!!

About quoting you - I'd like to think it is a bit of a mixture between exactly what you said and exactly what I said!

PS: If the Herald and Independent aren't paying you lot royalties for quoting you, I sure as hell wont be!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭sarkozy

Yes, you'd contact your nearest Embassy or Consulate. If there are none of those in the country you're in, you'd look for the Irish Honorary Consul. Practically, you would phone your nearest Irish Embassy or Consulate for that person's details. However, Honorary Consuls can only do so much.

In countries where there are no Irish Embassies, Embassies or Consulates of EU Member State countries have responsibility to look after you. In some countries, this responsibility falls on the Delegation of the European Union/Commission.

For example, in Lesotho, where I am, the Irish Embassy is the only EU Member State Embassy or Consulate (or High Commission), therefore it has responsibility for looking after EU Citizens in dire straits. However, with the Lisbon Treaty, EU Delegations are taking over these consular responsibilities.

It entirely depends on the particular person's dilemma as to what help can be offered by any of these entities. So passports or emergency travel documents must be handled by an Irish Consulate or Embassy, but perhaps facilitated by an Honorary Consul or other embassy. If someone is travelling and has all their money robbed, etc., it depends on the country what support can be given, but generally they'll help to facilitate that person make arrangements for their return home, etc. Also, embassies/consulates have responsibilities to assist in the protection or evacuation of Irish citizens in crisis situations.

Anyway, this stuff is online. DFA and Citizens' Information websites have buckets of information.

• Advertisement
Advertisement