Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FF Myths Lies and Spin

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Scofflaw wrote: »
    The first of those is based on the first business plan issued by NAMA - the second was indeed the hope.

Ah yes.......pay billions and "hope" that it works. That's why we're paying those in the Dáil their wages.

If I paid some known scheisters a fortune and "hoped" that they'd actually do the right thing, then you'd be posting here laughing at me, wondering why I didn't include a bit of cop-on and control into the equation.

Whatever about the incorrect disclosures and lies that weren't known about at the time, much was known about dodgy transactions at the time, and those alone would have been enough for anyone with any cop-on not to take the word of those who came begging for our money.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,158 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Can anyone explain how levying the banks for any losses made by NAMA won't cost the taxpayer money when we own so much of them?

Matt Cooper let whatever party donkey he had on the radio yesterday weasel out of the question with the assertion that the bank share prices will have risen and the state should be able to sell them by then.

Surely the sale price of shares in a bank that's liable for a levy on profits over the next few years of it's business will have the level and likelihood of that levy being imposed factored into it? Ergo, we'd be accepting a lower price for our shares in order to allow FF / The Greens to look "tough" by levying the bank's profits...

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    Ah yes.......pay billions and "hope" that it works.

Ah! The art of government - all that distinguishes government from engineering is that the latter carries a reasonable expectation that it will work, and usually a pretty clear result as to whether it did.
    That's why we're paying those in the Dáil their wages.

If I paid some known scheisters a fortune and "hoped" that they'd actually do the right thing, then you'd be posting here laughing at me, wondering why I didn't include a bit of cop-on and control into the equation.

Whatever about the incorrect disclosures and lies that weren't known about at the time, much was known about dodgy transactions at the time, and those alone would have been enough for anyone with any cop-on not to take the word of those who came begging for our money.

I'm not under the impression that Fianna Fáil are anything other than generally corrupt and not infrequently incompetent - as politicians and administrators - but I still find that your view strikes me as simplistically equating them to a gang of rather dim robbers whose position in government is frankly inexplicable. It makes it difficult to take your criticisms seriously, because that's not really a worthwhile basis for looking at the government on, fun though it undoubtedly is on the barstool.
    Sleepy wrote:
    Can anyone explain how levying the banks for any losses made by NAMA won't cost the taxpayer money when we own so much of them?

Matt Cooper let whatever party donkey he had on the radio yesterday weasel out of the question with the assertion that the bank share prices will have risen and the state should be able to sell them by then.

Surely the sale price of shares in a bank that's liable for a levy on profits over the next few years of it's business will have the level and likelihood of that levy being imposed factored into it? Ergo, we'd be accepting a lower price for our shares in order to allow FF / The Greens to look "tough" by levying the bank's profits...

Oddly enough, that's the explanation (or part of it) given for not having the levy explicitly in the legislation. However, if the government can sell the banks for more than they've paid, we've still made a profit even if the shares would be higher without the threat of the levy. Also, of course, some people won't believe the levy will ever happen.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭Laminations

Even though the thread is not about the budget deficit let's look at why NAMA/Anglo is more frustrating (my word in place of outrage) than the deficit.

I understand the deficit, I know why we have it, I know who to blame. It's due to large and unsustainable increases in public spending. I know who to blame - McCreevy for his 'spend it while I have it approach', Bertie for his benchmarking and spending increases to buy elections and Cowen for his lack of fiscal rectitude.

Now tell me why we have NAMA/Anglo without trouncing out the fallacious reasons listed in the OP. And please not something as pedestrian as 'something had to be done'.

I still find that your view strikes me as simplistically equating them to a gang of rather dim robbers whose position in government is frankly inexplicable.

Considering you're perfectly happy that your party vote confidence in con-men, I'm not surprised that we have differing views.

It's far from "inexplicable" to go WTF at a government that invests billions in a corrupt bank and doesn't ensure that it won't be wasted - for example - on golden handshakes to those being fired because of their greed and incompetence.

It's far from "inexplicable" to question the competence of those who didn't put in a single caveat that said "if ye are lying to us, the deal's off and ye're on ye'r own".

Mind you, there's little point in discussing corruption or competence with you, considering your expressed view of those who backed O'Dea.

• Advertisement

Considering you're perfectly happy that your party vote confidence in con-men, I'm not surprised that we have differing views.

It's far from "inexplicable" to go WTF at a government that invests billions in a corrupt bank and doesn't ensure that it won't be wasted - for example - on golden handshakes to those being fired because of their greed and incompetence.

It's far from "inexplicable" to question the competence of those who didn't put in a single caveat that said "if ye are lying to us, the deal's off and ye're on ye'r own".

Mind you, there's little point in discussing corruption or competence with you, considering your expressed view of those who backed O'Dea.

OK - when I said "whose position in government is frankly inexplicable", I meant that if we take your view that they're literally equivalent to a gang of sightly dim robbers, then their being the government is inexplicable. The clue is in the sentence structure - but, as so often, you have assumed instead something to get cross about.

wearily,
    Scofflaw

Even though the thread is not about the budget deficit let's look at why NAMA/Anglo is more frustrating (my word in place of outrage) than the deficit.

I understand the deficit, I know why we have it, I know who to blame. It's due to large and unsustainable increases in public spending. I know who to blame - McCreevy for his 'spend it while I have it approach', Bertie for his benchmarking and spending increases to buy elections and Cowen for his lack of fiscal rectitude.

Now tell me why we have NAMA/Anglo without trouncing out the fallacious reasons listed in the OP. And please not something as pedestrian as 'something had to be done'.

Well, let's start with that - did something have to be done? What would have happened if nothing had been done? Would doing nothing have been a better option? If not, what was the best option?

cordially,
    Scofflaw

Well, let's start with that - did something have to be done? What would have happened if nothing had been done? Would doing nothing have been a better option? If not, what was the best option?

cordially,
    Scofflaw

Ok lets start with that. I'll ask in relation to Anglo, could we have had a better outcome not guaranteeing and nationalising the bank? Many people like to begin from the convenient starting point of the bank already being guaranteed and our hands henceforth being tied. But show me evidence that Anglo and its investors deserved to be guaranteed. Show me evidence that before a guarantee due diligence was done in assessing the state of what was being taken on by the tax payer. Show me evidence that Anglo was a systemic bank? Show me evidence of a bank (systemic or otherwise) failure that lowered the sovereign credit rating of a country. Explain to me the logic that in order to keep our credit rating high so we can continue to borrow, we must borrow from the market to pay back bondholders who lent to private institutions. We are borrowing from bondholders to pay back bondholders so the bondholders we wish to borrow from dont get angry with us.

I expect an evidence based plan. Anglos plan has been rubbished by the EU commission. NAMA forecasts are being rubbished and revised by the month. If you expect me to produce my own plan in order for me to gain the right to be critical you are barking mad.

OK - when I said "whose position in government is frankly inexplicable", I meant that if we take your view that they're literally equivalent to a gang of sightly dim robbers, then their being the government is inexplicable. The clue is in the sentence structure - but, as so often, you have assumed instead something to get cross about.

Ah but you had already assumed that I viewed them as "a gang of dumb robbers", so therefore the above is just waffle.

Their actions in not protecting the interests of the country while bailing out their buddies could be incompetence, or it could be calculatingly doing as much as they can get away with in order to bail out their mates, cover their own hide as to the skeletons in their Golden Circle closets, and maintain power at all costs.

I don't know which, but I do find it astonishing that even FF would that incompetent as to overlook an "if you're telling porkies, the deal is off and we're not bailing you out" clause; IF they had wanted to include one.

So they're somewhere between completely incompetent and completely corrupt. I myself don't even know where exactly on that scale they are, so your initial assumption about how I view them is already completely wrong - a pretty bad starting point from which you built your argument.

Ah but you had already assumed that I viewed them as "a gang of dumb robbers", so therefore the above is just waffle.

Their actions in not protecting the interests of the country while bailing out their buddies could be incompetence, or it could be calculatingly doing as much as they can get away with in order to bail out their mates, cover their own hide as to the skeletons in their Golden Circle closets, and maintain power at all costs.

I don't know which, but I do find it astonishing that even FF would that incompetent as to overlook an "if you're telling porkies, the deal is off and we're not bailing you out" clause; IF they had wanted to include one.

So they're somewhere between completely incompetent and completely corrupt. I myself don't even know where exactly on that scale they are, so your initial assumption about how I view them is already completely wrong - a pretty bad starting point from which you built your argument.

I'd said that's how it comes across - and that's how it comes across in post after post. I don't even disagree that they're corrupt, and have said so - but I don't step from there to "this is done by Fianna Fáil, therefore it must be corrupt in such a way as to rip us off, and we should reflexively be angry".

If you tell me that NAMA contains a bailout for Fianna Fáil's supporters, I'm disposed to believe you - they always do look after the interests of their supporters. I argued elsewhere, when people say maybe Fianna Fáil are 'planning' on being out of government, that they're a factional oligarchy who never intend being out of government, because it removes their ability to look after their supporters with quango posts, tax breaks, contracts and influence.

All of that in the way of agreement between our viewpoints, and still you can't persuade me that NAMA is the worst thing that could have been done. I've looked at the legislation, I've looked at the assumptions and the business plans, and I can see that it could, given the lack of transparency, be used to kid glove particular friends of Fianna Fáil - all that's required is that NAMA make a bit of profit, and everyone's happy, no need for a tribunal. What I'm not seeing is "SCAMA" - the idea that a monumental swindle is all that's happening. NAMA has to survive two changes of government and increased scrutiny at the European level - how is something that's simply a swindle supposed to do so?

And please, try to answer without biting my head off.

regards,
    Scofflaw

• Advertisement

NAMA has to survive two changes of government and increased scrutiny at the European level - how is something that's simply a swindle supposed to do so?

I wouldnt go so far as to say it is a swindle but if you are setting something like NAMA up, then you should be doing so on accurate data. They did not do this. And they certainly did not sell it to the people in an accurate way.
    Its as simple as buying a 'sun holiday in the Azores' and after paying your bit finding out that the azores is a B&B in clondalkin. Well you've paid, you've taken the time off, and well you still need a holiday?

What NAMA is becoming is not what we were sold - can you not see that by the list of things in the OP that have been proven false? The same goes for bailing out Anglo. I cant remember your stance originally but are you now saying NAMA is a great idea?

And NAMA will survive all of what you say because it is a juggernaut, its in motion and it cannot be stopped - for legal and cost reasons.

Ok lets start with that. I'll ask in relation to Anglo, could we have had a better outcome not guaranteeing and nationalising the bank? Many people like to begin from the convenient starting point of the bank already being guaranteed and our hands henceforth being tied. But show me evidence that Anglo and its investors deserved to be guaranteed. Show me evidence that before a guarantee due diligence was done in assessing the state of what was being taken on by the tax payer. Show me evidence that Anglo was a systemic bank? Show me evidence of a bank (systemic or otherwise) failure that lowered the sovereign credit rating of a country. Explain to me the logic that in order to keep our credit rating high so we can continue to borrow, we must borrow from the market to pay back bondholders who lent to private institutions. We are borrowing from bondholders to pay back bondholders so the bondholders we wish to borrow from dont get angry with us.

I haven't at any point supported the Anglo rescue, though.I'm not convinced that Anglo couldn't have been allowed to fail - whatever about AIB, BOI and the rest, Anglo was more or less a private bank. One could, as devil's advocate, make the claim that of Anglo had been allowed to collapse, it would have taken out a huge swathe of the construction industry, which would in turn have had knock-on effects etc. No due diligence is hardly a surprise, though, given the time frame.
    I expect an evidence based plan. Anglos plan has been rubbished by the EU commission. NAMA forecasts are being rubbished and revised by the month. If you expect me to produce my own plan in order for me to gain the right to be critical you are barking mad.

Not really - if you say something is bad, it's up to you to show why it was bad. The conventional wisdom is on the side of rescuing banks for fairly obvious reasons (every bank failure breeds thousands of business failures), and Ireland's banks weren't able to borrow on the credit markets. If you know better, and believe that economies would survive better or equally well without such rescues, and without inter-bank credit, feel free to demonstrate it.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

Not really - if you say something is bad, it's up to you to show why it was bad. The conventional wisdom is on the side of rescuing banks for fairly obvious reasons (every bank failure breeds thousands of business failures), and Ireland's banks weren't able to borrow on the credit markets. If you know better, and believe that economies would survive better or equally well without such rescues, and without inter-bank credit, feel free to demonstrate it.

You are strawmanning my position. Nowhere did I suggest allowing numerous bank failures. Nowhere did I suggest no rescue for any banks. I'm saying (agreeing with you) that Anglo should not have been saved - how many businesses would have failed if it weren't? what would the consequeences have been - at least what supposed dire consequences led the government to guarantee it? These are things we should know. Anglos share price bombed months before the guarnatee - so yes I expect due diligence. With regard to NAMA the issue is what was NAMA set up to do? And what were we told it would do? And has it done any of this? You may expect the government to be dishonest with you but when we are talking about billions (although chump change compared to the budget deficit) I expect some accurate information.
    if you say something is bad, it's up to you to show why it was bad.

Would you agree that its 'bad' that after being told x,y,z to convince you of a plan, that x,y,z should turn out to be false

I wouldnt go so far as to say it is a swindle but if you are setting something like NAMA up, then you should be doing so on accurate data. They did not do this. And they certainly did not sell it to the people in an accurate way.

But part of the whole point with the debt NAMA acquired was that accurate information was not available - although there's a case to be made that the banks did not give NAMA information as accurate even as they had themselves.

As for the government not selling it accurately - what marketing is ever accurate? Who sells anything other than 'solutions'? It was sold on the basis of what was hoped for - which is the basis of virtually every sale.
    Its as simple as buying a 'sun holiday in the Azores' and after paying your bit finding out that the azores is a B&B in clondalkin. Well you've paid, you've taken the time off, and well you still need a holiday?

Surely that's the question, though - was what was on offer a 'sun holiday in Azores' when what we wound up with was a B&B in Clondalkin?

My view is that what we were offered was, let's say, a hotel in Clondalkin, but it was nevertheless promised that we would have "the holiday of a lifetime". If the hotel turns out to be an oversized B&B, I can't say I'm particularly surprised, and disappointment would have involved me believing that a hotel in Clondalkin would offer the holiday of a lifetime in any case.
    What NAMA is becoming is not what we were sold - can you not see that by the list of things in the OP that have been proven false? The same goes for bailing out Anglo. I cant remember your stance originally but are you now saying NAMA is a great idea?

No, my stance remains that it's the alternative that was chosen, and whether it was the best alternative or not is something that either is demonstrable - in which case the government is either wrong to have adopted it, or right - or is not, in which case the government can be neither wrong nor right to have adopted it.

If it's demonstrable that NAMA was not the best option (and many others were floated at the time), then demonstrating that is surely the route to convincing people of it - indeed, no other route suffices. Certainly, simply saying "look, we know they're crooks, therefore it must be crooked" doesn't really pass muster.

I don't see how that can be put plainer.
    And NAMA will survive all of what you say because it is a juggernaut, its in motion and it cannot be stopped - for legal and cost reasons.

Again, though, that would go for any solution adopted - even if the solution we'd adopted was to do nothing. We could pull out now only at much huger cost.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

You are strawmanning my position. Nowhere did I suggest allowing numerous bank failures. Nowhere did I suggest no rescue for any banks. I'm saying (agreeing with you) that Anglo should not have been saved - how many businesses would have failed if it weren't? what would the consequeences have been - at least what supposed dire consequences led the government to guarantee it? These are things we should know.

And which I agree on - I'm not trying to straw man you, but I wasn't sure whether you were against the principle of bank rescue as opposed to Anglo specifically (there's a lot of libertarians about, after all).
    Anglos share price bombed months before the guarnatee - so yes I expect due diligence.

Within the time frame, though? How long would it take to do due diligence on a bank?

But yes, I agree with you on Anglo.
    With regard to NAMA the issue is what was NAMA set up to do? And what were we told it would do? And has it done any of this? You may expect the government to be dishonest with you but when we are talking about billions (although chump change compared to the budget deficit) I expect some accurate information.

Maybe we're at cross-purposes here? Do you mean you expect NAMA to be transparent? If so, I entirely agree.
    Would you agree that its 'bad' that after being told x,y,z to convince you of a plan, that x,y,z should turn out to be false

Only if I believed x, y, and z in the first place. It's the same thing as with the Greens, I suppose - I didn't believe their protestations of the moral high ground in opposition, and expected them to have a painful adjustment when they actually entered government - therefore their previous protestations of moral virginity was something I held against them at the time as hypocrisy, rather than holding it against them now they're adjusting to the reality of politics.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

they're crooks, therefore it must be crooked"

If thats how you understand my point then I've not been clear. My point is also simple. They said they were setting up NAMA for x,y,z. None of these things have materialised (for whatever reasons). My frustration with NAMA is wholly linked with my frustration with the Anglo rescue as Anglo makes up the majority of loans. I think you need to demonstrate what evidence is there to support NAMA as 'the best show in town' rather than require me to suggest my own solution. All I can see is that due to government decisions NAMA is 'the only show in town' - this is obviously also related to the guarantee.

And which I agree on - I'm not trying to straw man you, but I wasn't sure whether you were against the principle of bank rescue as opposed to Anglo specifically (there's a lot of libertarians about, after all).

Within the time frame, though? How long would it take to do due diligence on a bank?

But yes, I agree with you on Anglo.

Maybe we're at cross-purposes here? Do you mean you expect NAMA to be transparent? If so, I entirely agree.

Only if I believed x, y, and z in the first place. It's the same thing as with the Greens, I suppose - I didn't believe their protestations of the moral high ground in opposition, and expected them to have a painful adjustment when they actually entered government - therefore their previous protestations of moral virginity was something I held against them at the time as hypocrisy, rather than holding it against them now they're adjusting to the reality of politics.

I think we are getting off topic :) I'm not a libertarian

I'd find it equally ludicrous to suggest we could have survived economically letting our banking system 'suffer the consequences'. The OP was a list of points that undermine the information/spin that was being used to convince people of NAMAs purpose at the time of inception. I like you, was also not fooled at the time and didnt believe the hype so to speak but I still cant condone the use of spin in the way that they did to pump billions into Anglo - my main issue with NAMA is Anglo, its most likely the cause of its revision of plans and estimates.

As for the government not selling it accurately - what marketing is ever accurate? Who sells anything other than 'solutions'? It was sold on the basis of what was hoped for - which is the basis of virtually every sale.

You cannot compare a commercial sale (by a third party with whom you have no existing contract until that sale) with politicians (who are our employees) telling the truth.

NAMA was sold via a bunch of lies and half-truths; and as with Laminations (and, indeed, those who pointed out the issues in the wider economy prior to the crash) we were shouted down with "NAMA is the only show in town" and "NAMA will make a profit", etc.

Also, in relation to your sales analogy, here's a straight question : has NAMA achieved any of the 3 objectives ? If you were sold something that the salesman said would do a, b & c, and it did ABSOLUTELY NONE of the 3, wouldn't you be demanding a full refund ?

We need to start demanding that politicians are honest; no more accepting lies or votes of confidence in con-men in order to maintain power and dupe the public.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭dynamick

After catching the end of a heated discussion on this thread where a poster was being accused of regular and unsubstantiated outrage, bouts of which are apparently turning other posters off, I thought I'd post a list of points which can be debated. Many of the points include NAMA and the financial crisis as that is what I was talking about on the other thread.
    What is the point of this post? It is a reprint of a 10 month old post from another forum and it's not clear what the poster wishes to propose. Perhaps this is just a ranting exercise.

Many of the points are simply out of date , 10 months on the many things have changed for the better or the worse.

If anything, I think NAMA is looking a lot better now than it did a year ago.

The markets have reacted well as our 10yr bond yields have improved compared to Portugal, Greece & Spain over the past year. The IMF opinion is very positive
    http://www.imf.org/external/np/ms/2010/062410.htm
    AIB & BOI are still in business and there hasn't been a run. BoI even managed to convince private investors to give them 3.4bn in April
    We've just announced the highest quarterly gdp growth figures in the eu.
    We've had 2 inquiries into the banking crisis and a third just announced to cover the guarantee etc.
    The guarantee is being unwound slowly.

Where was your outrage from 1997-2007 when the government was digging us into a deficit and banking crisis? Or can you only muster anger when it's medicine time?

Throughout the post is the idea that somehow all these indignities have been foisted on us by FF as if FF wasn't elected by us, as if the borrowing public weren't rubbing their hand in glee as they hocked themselves up to the bollox to buy shoeboxes. In the last election, 1m people didn't bother their holes to vote for anyone, a further 860K voted for FF 1st pref. You reap what you sow.

If thats how you understand my point then I've not been clear.

Actually, again I'm actually contrasting your approach with Liam's.
    My point is also simple. They said they were setting up NAMA for x,y,z. None of these things have materialised (for whatever reasons). My frustration with NAMA is wholly linked with my frustration with the Anglo rescue as Anglo makes up the majority of loans. I think you need to demonstrate what evidence is there to support NAMA as 'the best show in town' rather than require me to suggest my own solution. All I can see is that due to government decisions NAMA is 'the only show in town' - this is obviously also related to the guarantee.

That's kind of the point, though - NAMA is now the game in town, so it's a case of "that's what's happening - what would have been better?". In other words, I'm not arguing that anyone should support NAMA, that NAMA is the best thing, or anything of the kind. I don't even know that NAMA was the best option - but it's the option we got.

In short, I'm not trying to sell NAMA, because we already have NAMA - if there was something better, then I'm asking you to tell me what it is. Even better, tell me how we could change NAMA as it currently exists for the better.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Advertisement

Actually, again I'm actually contrasting your approach with Liam's.

Excuse me ?

Looking back to see what this related to, I see a "if they're crooks, it must be crooked" statement.

I have clearly said a number of times that NAMA has not achieved any of the 3 objectives, and - given the costs involved - that is absolutely and utterly shameful.

I have also said that NAMA and its associated bank guarantees and bailouts is either corrupt OR completely incompetent; I have not come down 100% on the "it's crooked" side, but either way FF come out badly (as either incompetent or crooked).

You have repeatedly refused to comment on the fact that NAMA has not achieved its 3 objectives.
    In short, I'm not trying to sell NAMA, because we already have NAMA - if there was something better, then I'm asking you to tell me what it is. Even better, tell me how we could change NAMA as it currently exists for the better.

Tell me this - why do ordinary people who aren't paid hundreds of thousands have to come up with the alternative ?

Yes, we're stuck with NAMA now, but only because Lenihan & Co refused point blank to consider alternatives, saying that "this will get credit flowing", etc.......

So even if NAMA was "the best option" if all of the hoping came true, then the fact that it hasn't worked and we have had to nationalise the banks and also now won't make the promised profits brings the whole project into question, because one of those criteria promised by the government might have actually swung the equation in its favour.

Now that those 3 criteria / promises / lies have been debunked, they are invalid.

Liam Byrne wrote:
    Tell me this - why do ordinary people who aren't paid hundreds of thousands have to come up with the alternative ?

Because they're claiming that the alternatives would have been better. In order to claim that, presumably either:

(a) the people concerned have looked at the alternatives closely and found that one or more of them is better in specific ways to NAMA - they may have done the analysis themselves, or they may have read the proposals of people paid hundreds of thousands;

or

(b) the people concerned are just saying it because they believe it to be so without any evidence.

Now in case (a), all that's being asked is that the people saying it (that's you) share the benefits of that analysis with those they're making the claim to (and that's me).

Or is it just case (b)?

cordially,
    Scofflaw

or

(c) those who chose NAMA sold it based on a bunch of lies which lots of people disputed at the time and which have since been proven to be so far off the mark as to negate any justification of NAMA

P.S. re (a) : the word "better" is subjective.......if you're a frequenter of the Galway Tent, you're happy out; if you're a taxpayer footing the bill, you're not.

or

(c) those who chose NAMA sold it based on a bunch of lies which lots of people disputed at the time and which have since been proven to be so far off the mark as to negate any justification of NAMA

P.S. re (a) : the word "better" is subjective.......if you're a frequenter of the Galway Tent, you're happy out; if you're a taxpayer footing the bill, you're not.

No, it doesn't matter whether NAMA doesn't live up to the initial promises, unless those initial promises were used to sell us something that was worse than the other alternatives - and that's what still isn't being shown to be the case - because it's entirely probable that the alternatives wouldn't have lived up to the promises made about them by the government either.

If someone over-promises and under-delivers, one is entitled to be annoyed about that if one believed them in the first place. If one didn't believe them in the first place, one is hardly going to be annoyed - they've delivered in line with expectations. In neither case, though, is there any point saying "we should have gone with option X instead", unless you know, and can show, that option X was actually better.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

If someone over-promises and under-delivers, one is entitled to be annoyed about that if one believed them in the first place. If one didn't believe them in the first place, one is hardly going to be annoyed - they've delivered in line with expectations.

If those who pointed out the flaws and lies in the original "plan" were dissed and shot down, then they're entitled to be annoyed.

Plus you're overlooking the fact that whoever is footing the bill is more than entitled to be annoyed.

I know you have zero expectations and expect politicians to lie, and seem to accept it, whereas I do expect it, but I don't accept it.

No, it doesn't matter whether NAMA doesn't live up to the initial promises, unless those initial promises were used to sell us something that was worse than the other alternatives - and that's what still isn't being shown to be the case - because it's entirely probable that the alternatives wouldn't have lived up to the promises made about them by the government either.

If someone over-promises and under-delivers, one is entitled to be annoyed about that if one believed them in the first place. If one didn't believe them in the first place, one is hardly going to be annoyed - they've delivered in line with expectations. In neither case, though, is there any point saying "we should have gone with option X instead", unless you know, and can show, that option X was actually better.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

Ok well this is the last thing I'll say on this issue. Your reasoning, that to criticise NAMA requires the presentation of a 'better' alternative. There were alternatives at the time and the existence of alternatives does not mitigate the failings of NAMA in fulfilling it's objectives. Did NAMA do all the things we were told it would? No. Is NAMA or a NAMA type banking rescue needed? Yes.

Your line of thinking draws parallels with those who defend FF and disregard government failures with the question 'what would the opposition (alternative) have done better. The fact is we'll never know but we do know what FF have done. Asking questions of hypothetical alternatives does not gloss over the facts of failings. NAMA will eventually get results I'm sure but that's not what the approach was sold as, there were concrete benefits advertised at the time, these have to be judged.

To the poster who wonders why I started this thread, it was because recently some of the selling points of NAMA - namely the expected return have been called into question. The list highlights the stuff we were told that wasn't exactly true.

And I know some posters think labelling another poster as a 'ranter' counts as criticism but I think this thread is more than a rant.

To the poster who wonders why I started this thread, it was because recently some of the selling points of NAMA - namely the expected return have been called into question. The list highlights the stuff we were told that wasn't exactly true.

Ah but they're politicians.......you should expect that, even from the ones that you vote for and vote confidence in, remember ?

Ok well this is the last thing I'll say on this issue. Your reasoning, that to criticise NAMA requires the presentation of a 'better' alternative. There were alternatives at the time and the existence of alternatives does not mitigate the failings of NAMA in fulfilling it's objectives. Did NAMA do all the things we were told it would? No. Is NAMA or a NAMA type banking rescue needed? Yes.

Your line of thinking draws parallels with those who defend FF and disregard government failures with the question 'what would the opposition (alternative) have done better. The fact is we'll never know but we do know what FF have done. Asking questions of hypothetical alternatives does not gloss over the facts of failings. NAMA will eventually get results I'm sure but that's not what the approach was sold as, there were concrete benefits advertised at the time, these have to be judged.

And I know some posters think labelling another poster as a 'ranter' counts as criticism but I think this thread is more than a rant.

At no point, though, have I said that those who criticise NAMA full stop have to provide alternatives - I've said that those who claim there were better alternatives have to provide those alternatives. Those who claim that it's a "scam" fall into that category - since calling it a scam implies that there were other options that would not have been - or would not have allowed for - a scam.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

Ah but they're politicians.......you should expect that, even from the ones that you vote for and vote confidence in, remember ?

Er, yes, that's right, you should. You can expect dishonesty from politicians in the same way you expect meat from a butcher.

That doesn't mean that politicians should not be held to account for dishonesty (where such dishonesty is material, which in this case it isn't, particularly), nor that we can't hope for entirely honest politicians - but going on the behaviour of politicians throughout recorded history, no reasonable person can honestly claim to be surprised by a politician being less than honest - despite which, you seem to be claiming exactly that.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Advertisement

That doesn't mean that politicians should not be held to account for dishonesty (where such dishonesty is material, which in this case it isn't, particularly)

So billions wasted isn't "material" ???? :eek: :rolleyes:
    no reasonable person can honestly claim to be surprised by a politician being less than honest - despite which, you seem to be claiming exactly that.

It's the level of dishonesty that's surprising, and the amount of money involved that's being transferred to the back pockets of their mates.

If anything, most of my "surprise" is that some people (none that I know, but definitely some here on boards) still don't object to this fiasco.

You do not need to provide an alternative in order to object to wanton waste of billions; even the lies that were spun are not being achieved, so those behind it have to be held to account.....the "give us an alternative" is a complete red herring thrown in by those who want to excuse this sickening fiasco.

Of course, even the word "waste" is subjective, because if it keeps themselves and their mates in the lifestyle they're accustomed to, FF don't view it as waste.

The fact that NAMA fails to reach ANY of the 3 supposed "objectives" and given the amounts involved means that it's FAR BEYOND any previous lies and deceit, so yes - it is surprising.

Advertisement