Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dail set to take 12 week summer holidays

Options
  • 07-07-2010 2:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭

The Dail is taking a full 12 weeks summer recess this year. For God sake, do these guys not realise we need work to be done now more than ever. It is an absolute disgrace that they can take such long recesses!! No Dail sittings for 12 weeks, and a backlog of legislation to be passed. These guys really need to be told 2 weeks not 12 is normal for working people why not them.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2010/0707/breaking34.html

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

Think of it this way: 12 weeks in which they can do no more damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

plus Judges have been asked to reduce their holidays with a view to getting through the back log of asylum cases.

our politicians are hopless, greedy and so far removed from public sentiment they probably dont see any harm in 12 weeks off.

And shur jaysus..wouldn't the country fall apart if they weren't in their constituencies keeping the show on the road..

• Registered Users Posts: 10,885 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

IrishTonyO wrote: »
    For God sake, do these guys not realise we need work to be done now more than ever.

This sort of thread has come up at every recess tbf...try a search

the general point remains the same...if you actually think that important work is being done regarding our economic issues in the oireachtas then I understand your frustration

many would not take that view...the last weeks for example have been about animal welfare and civil partnerships......important issues for some but not our economic issues...and nothing that 12 weeks would make a difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

If only their holidays had extended beyond September 29th back in 2008, we'd have been much better off.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,885 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    If only their holidays had extended beyond September 29th back in 2008, we'd have been much better off.....

false assumption there

• Registered Users Posts: 81,757 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

So whats their excuse again, why arent they holding elections on empty seats, etc? Theyre too busy? What?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Same thread every year. This practice will hardly ever change. *Shrugs*

• Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭gazzer

At this stage anything this pox ridden government do will not surprise me. The thing is though we just bend over and accept it again and again and again. Im guilty of it myself. I think they have worn me down with their ineptness.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

Every time they take one of their stupidly long breaks this comes up.

Irish politicians overpaid, underworked, unintelligent and lazy... Shocker...

• Advertisement

Riskymove wrote: »
    false assumption there

Assumption, maybe.

As to whether it's "false", well that's an assumption of your own.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭IrishTonyO

rovert wrote: »
    Same thread every year. This practice will hardly ever change. *Shrugs*

This year they are taking 12 weeks, last year it was 10, you would think they would be reducing the break rather than bring it back up.
    Suppose maybe they need to the time to fiddle prepare their expenses. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭PeterIanStaker

I hope they don't come back. They can stay on holidays as damage control.

The ship has well and truly broken in half so it hardly matters if there is someone at the wheel.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,463 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Cowen is a dead man walking, even worse than the position that Brown was in, in the UK (it's hard to hide complete and utter incompetence).

His only hope is to reduce the number of days that the Dail sits, stop the by-elections and desperately cling to power for as long as possible. He's in danger of making Bertie look like a great leader.

Brian Cowen, "He said everyone had a role to play in getting the party's message across and that internal criticism should stop."

Oh I think Brian you have got your message across just no one likes it :D

http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/0707/politics.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭rubberdiddies

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/o...ay-464678.html
    Opposition parties have objected to a Government proposal that the Dáil should take a three-month holidays.

The Dáil is due to rise today, and it will not sit again until the September 29.

This year's Dáil holidays are a full 12 weeks, longer than in previous years.
    As much as I object to the length of the holidays they take, my issue is with the following:

Why do these overpaid people go through the same motions every year. Every year without fail the opposition parties object to the length of the holidays, whilst laughing and joking across the floor.

They have no intention of really objecting to the holidays.
    do they take a vote on it, and do the opposition parties vote against?

In reality whoever is next in government will also be proposing such a lengthy holiday and Fianna Fail will then oppose it.

Do they take us for mugs?**

**I'm presuming they do

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭bondjames

If the army could only hear me I would ask them to take over this country and put all TD'S on a boat to no where
    These Ba****ds are going off on holiday for 12 week and yesterday they bought the parents of people with disabilities on to the street to fight to keep there one night a week or month respite
    I have lost all faith in us as people to all those people to be still in power

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭bondjames

As much as I object to the length of the holidays they take, my issue is with the following:

Why do these overpaid people go through the same motions every year. Every year without fail the opposition parties object to the length of the holidays, whilst laughing and joking across the floor.

In reality whoever is next in government will also be proposing such a lengthy holiday and Fianna Fail will then oppose it.

**I'm presuming they do
    We are mugs
    It time to burn the dail with them in it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,668 ✭✭✭flutered

to all who believed in f.f. promises for decades, shame on you, did you also believe in santa and the tooth fairy until you were 21.

flutered wrote: »
    to all who believed in f.f. promises for decades, shame on you, did you also believe in santa and the tooth fairy until you were 21.

Hey, Santa and the Tooth Fairy are far more dependable than FF.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭danbohan

bondjames wrote: »
    If the army could only hear me I would ask them to take over this country and put all TD'S on a boat to no where
    These Ba****ds are going off on holiday for 12 week and yesterday they bought the parents of people with disabilities on to the street to fight to keep there one night a week or month respite
    I have lost all faith in us as people to all those people to be still in power

are all the army deaf , i thought it was just few hundred? icon10.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭jahalpin

I think the TD's deserve the 12 weeks holidays.

Teachers get around the same holidays and they only have to deal with a few kids, whereas TD's have to deal with thousands of people harassing them and slagging them off on a daily basis.

I am well aware that they are well paid and knew what it would be like before they went for election, however, the long holidays were also part of the deal

The minimum legal amount of annual leave is 20 days (4 weeks) with most people getting substantially more.

Senators howver, would have a very hard time defending such long holidays....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭maynooth_rules

jahalpin wrote: »
    I think the TD's deserve the 12 weeks holidays.

Teachers get around the same holidays and they only have to deal with a few kids, whereas TD's have to deal with thousands of people harassing them and slagging them off on a daily basis.

I am well aware that they are well paid and knew what it would be like before they went for election, however, the long holidays were also part of the deal

The minimum legal amount of annual leave is 20 days (4 weeks) with most people getting substantially more.

Senators howver, would have a very hard time defending such long holidays....

TDs are doing well if they turn up 3 days a week. At a guess Id say most TDs sit for well under 100 days a year. Doesn't really compare with a teacher. Due to the savage cutbacks brought in, most teachers have to supervise State examinations and correct examination papers during the summer. On top of that teachers dont get extra money simply for clocking in for work like TDs, teachers dont get travel expenses, teachers dont get subsidised dinners.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭woysworld

IrishTonyO wrote: »
    The Dail is taking a full 12 weeks summer recess this year. For God sake, do these guys not realise we need work to be done now more than ever. It is an absolute disgrace that they can take such long recesses!! No Dail sittings for 12 weeks, and a backlog of legislation to be passed. These guys really need to be told 2 weeks not 12 is normal for working people why not them.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2010/0707/breaking34.html

Cause they are not normal!!!...

Liam Byrne wrote: »

LOL!!!

**I'm presuming they do

in a word YES!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,668 ✭✭✭flutered

as we as a nation have done nothing to change them, the greems started out with good ineintions, then power and its trappings became their ideology

• Registered Users Posts: 9,253 ✭✭✭markpb

jahalpin wrote: »

I'd like to meet these people who get "substantially more". I don't know anyone with more than 25 days annual leave and most people I know only have 21.

21 is a far cry short of the 60 days that the Dail won't sit.

markpb wrote: »
    I'd like to meet these people who get "substantially more". I don't know anyone with more than 25 days annual leave and most people I know only have 21.

21 is a far cry short of the 60 days that the Dail won't sit.

Bear in mind that the 21 / 25 is annual and the 60 is only "summer".

Add in the what - 4 weeks ? - at "Christmas" and whatever else dossing off they do (remember that some FF members were already "on holidays" when the vote of no confidence in Cowen was called) and you have a LOT more than 60 annual leave.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

bondjames wrote: »
    We are mugs
    It time to burn the dail with them in it

That's an outrageous suggestion. Why destroy a beautiful building? :)

Advertisement