Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aust PM says Political correctness is dead

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

This is an odd statement considering her own beliefs. For the record she is an atheist liberal who is pro gay marriage and pro choice. It seems out of step that such a person would be hard line anti-immigration.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

wes wrote: »
    Sure, it is possibe, but people just tend to make a general rant against being PC most of the time, and then complain about another guy who is being not PC at the same time. What the other guy may be saying may be worse, but then what there saying is also worse than what someone else is saying.

Do you believe that all sentances are of equal value?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

old_aussie wrote: »
    It's about time Australians stopped kowtowing to foreign asylem-seekers, especially those who are NOT fron christian countries.

You know that your welsh immigrant PM is an atheist, I trust....?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Denerick wrote: »
    Do you believe that all sentances are of equal value?

Of course there not, and I have already said as much.

Of course there not, and I have already said as much.

Then I'm afraid I don't understand where you're coming from. It is not inconsistent for people to be more offended by a more offensive statement.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

The hypocrisy of all this is amusing.

Then I'm afraid I don't understand where you're coming from. It is not inconsistent for people to be more offended by a more offensive statement.

Except thats not what I was talking about. I was talking about people who bang on about being not PC, and how they should be able to be offensive, and then complaining about others who offend them.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

These threads will almost always descend into people, being unable to tell the difference between Asylum seekers, and immigrants, and claims about asylum seekers getting free car's and other things.
    There's actually a specific charter entry preventing such conflation. If it happens, report it.

I wonder how many people read the linked Telegraph article? It bears little or no relation to the OP's comments.

Which, in turn, leads me to wonder how accurately the article reflects the PM's comments.

Except thats not what I was talking about. I was talking about people who bang on about being not PC, and how they should be able to be offensive, and then complaining about others who offend them.

I think in the minds of some people, political correctness has assumed a mystic aura that pervades all aspects of social discourse and inter-relation. They literally see it peeping up from cracks in the pavement, threatening their very way of life. I simply don't understand the obsession. What are you annoyed about? That some people are hypocrites?

I think in the minds of some people, political correctness has assumed a mystic aura that pervades all aspects of social discourse and inter-relation. They literally see it peeping up from cracks in the pavement, threatening their very way of life. I simply don't understand the obsession. What are you annoyed about? That some people are hypocrites?

I was mostly just pointing out the hypocrisy. Not really annoyed, more amused than anything else.

• Advertisement

Even more amusing.....I seem to remember when the bête noire of the day was the Vietnamese in Australia.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Gyalist

Nodin wrote: »
    Even more amusing.....I seem to remember when the bête noire of the day was the Vietnamese in Australia.....

bête jaune

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Memnoch wrote: »
    You're making me laugh. The whole, "i'm not intolerant or racist, these are complex issues that need to be carefully examined," is a standard disclaimer always thrown out when making these kind of statements, precisely because the people making them know the racist nature of their original statement.

It doesn't mitigate anything as far as I'm concerned.

What both sides? Us vs them again.

There isn't anything to be done. Racism is about entitlement, and selfishness, has been since humanity was created. The only way to move forward is to remove this kind of nonsense fear mongering.

No no no, it's not that our political, social and economic systems are failing, it's those dirty immigrants that are less than a tiny minority of our population that are stretching these systems and their dependent services to breaking point. Yes, blame them, hate them, fear them, but whatever you do, don't look at the law makers and the people responsible for fixing things, cause it's not our fault, and if only this small minority of people (WHO LOOK DIFFERENT TO YOU) were removed everything would be much better and our services that can't cope will give you everything you need.

LOL you dont have a clue unfortunately. The whole debate here is about population control and getting Australia to grow at a sustainable level in proper areas. Read the article! You love to discuss things in black and white. Even the mention of a debate on immigration policy to you mean that you are a racist. LOL I suppose you are for freedom of speech too! Oh the Irony!

Nevermind the fact that there has been as much printed in the press about changes to skilled migrant visas as asylums seekers in recent days. But its OK let not that fact cloud your judgement.
    You can believe your "preceived" version of what is happening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

oscarBravo wrote: »
    I wonder how many people read the linked Telegraph article? It bears little or no relation to the OP's comments.

I did, it bears quite frankly no relation at all.

If someone want to debate australias immigration policy they should just start a thread on it not mis quote the PM. I would not mess with Gillard she took her own boss out in a day and she appeared to like him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭Pittens

As future world minister for Crime Think... of course. You have all the names.

Anyone remember when that Aboriginal woman who won a gold medal was lambasted by Australians for waving the Aboriginal flag, along with the Australian flag?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

Yes, and all these are non-PC positions last time I checked. Those are terribly politically incorrect things to say, and I am sure he would view the Iraqi Jihadi's as a resistance, right or wrongly, as opposed to terrorists, which again is very non-PC. Seems to me that some folk want to say non-PC things, but are offended when some other people say non-PC stuff they don't like.

Ok fair enough well leave aside the terrorism/resistance support thing, as its debatable.

The bikini opposition/holocaust denial - Its nothing to do with political correctness. I don't dislike him for speaking his mind; I dislike him for thinking those things and being of those beliefs. I wouldn't want him in my country encouraging people to think like him.

For immigration, well I simply don't accept that it is politically incorrect to say you want to limit immigration. There's a huge difference between being a racist and being against immigration.

Though to be honest I do cringe when people say "we don't want immigrants from non-christian countries" That is generally a veil for racism.

dlofnep wrote: »
    Anyone remember when that Aboriginal woman who won a gold medal was lambasted by Australians for waving the Aboriginal flag, along with the Australian flag?

Linky??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭digme

Yeah I'm sure the auld Aborigine lads were thinking the same thing back in the day.
    who'd still be waiting to invent the wheel,not too mind electricity.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭cavedave

digme

who'd still be waiting to invent the wheel,not too mind electricity.....

Thankfully the Australians invented the wheel. Otherwise we would not have pizza.

• Advertisement

jank wrote: »
    Linky??

Read about it years ago, found a wee bit about it on a wiki article.
    Cathy Freeman caused controversy at the 1994 Commonwealth Games by waving both the Aboriginal flag and Australian national flag during her victory lap of the arena, after winning the 200 metres sprint; only the national flag is meant to be displayed. Despite strong criticism from both Games officials and the Australian team president Arthur Tunstall, Freeman flew both flags again after winning the 400 metres.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australian_Aboriginal_flag

dlofnep wrote: »
    Read about it years ago, found a wee bit about it on a wiki article.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australian_Aboriginal_flag

That quote has no references at all so it is made up, hell you could have added it if all I know!

So despite the fact that you CANT link what you said to be true are you going to take it back.

That quote has no references at all so it is made up, hell you could have added it if all I know!

So despite the fact that you CANT link what you said to be true are you going to take it back.

Why would I take it back? It's a matter of fact. I read about it a few years ago. You're going to have to forgive me if I can't find a news source that I read a few years back.

It's not made up. I couldn't care less if you believe it or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 andrewhpf

There was a small controversy fueled by a vast minority of silly people (of which the like exist everywhere), but for the most part, Australians were very proud of her and her achievement. Nothing more worth saying on the matter tbh.

Looks legit to me
    http://www.google.ie/#hl=en&source=hp&q=cathy+freeman+flag+controversy&aq=0&aqi=g2&aql=&oq=Cathy+Freeman+flag&gs_rfai=&fp=5bce4f5dc0079769

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Zambia232 wrote: »
    I think there is a world of difference between the link to what she said. And the Original post here.

Julia is not John Howard and John Howard never said the latter part of the post either despite the circulation of an email for years.

I was wondering i knew i had gotten this email years ago and it resurfaced last week as a new news story i was wondering why.

Agree with the idea in the rant if you go to Oz then abide by their laws, fair enough i say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,021 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

Does anyone realise that there isint really any such thing as "political correctness" ?

Its a myth.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

that deffinitley Happened
    25cathy1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

Nodin wrote: »

That article says the Aussie public loved her decision to carry both flags.

• Advertisement

That article says the Aussie public loved her decision to carry both flags.

She was criticised by some also. I remember reading the original article. My point isn't really that all Australians are inherently intolerant - but that in response to the OP - I found it amusing that he would harp on about accepting his culture and lifestyle, when the native Australian's culture and lifestyle is often not met with the same respect. The whole thing smacked of hypocrisy.

Advertisement