Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nexus 6P

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Jelle1880 wrote: »
    It's supposedly coming to the UK relatively soon (matter of a few months I read a while back), I can see Ireland following soon. I'm already seeing plenty of Apple Pay terminals.

I think it has more to do with how fast the banks want to use it, not Google.

Indeed it is the banks, on the Apple pay terminals I believe they are enabled to use it so the Apple Pay logo shows up but we can't actually use them here yet because of the banks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

Where are people seeing Apple Pay terminals ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

beno619 wrote: »
    Were are people seeing Apple Pay terminals ?

In boots the touch terminals display the Apple Pay logo but you can't use it there.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

beno619 wrote: »
    Where are people seeing Apple Pay terminals ?

I've noticed it in some stores, it seems like a normal terminal for the new bank cards where you just swipe it over, but they have the Apple logo on them too.

edit: It was Boots indeed where I noticed it first, why would they put the logo on it if you can't actually use it ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,513 ✭✭✭digitaldr

Saw the Apple pay logo in marks and Spencers - cashier said she'd only seen anyone use it on a couple of occasions, tourists on both times. Does anyone know if purchases are likely to be limited to €15 or will eg fingerprint verification mean that this limit won't apply?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

Just checked my 6p ordered status unchanged at 3-5 November. Fine by me as gives me time to make up my mind and hopefully someone like MKBHD will get one to do an in depth review in the meantime. Pattww79 why do you want to bury your G4 at sea?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

Jelle1880 wrote: »
    I've noticed it in some stores, it seems like a normal terminal for the new bank cards where you just swipe it over, but they have the Apple logo on them too.

edit: It was Boots indeed where I noticed it first, why would they put the logo on it if you can't actually use it ?
    digitaldr wrote: »
    Saw the Apple pay logo in marks and Spencers - cashier said she'd only seen anyone use it on a couple of occasions, tourists on both times. Does anyone know if purchases are likely to be limited to €15 or will eg fingerprint verification mean that this limit won't apply?

The terminals are ready but the banks/Apple are not, there's no option to add cards in passbook on the iPhone in Ireland.

I might play around with spoofing my location at the weekend as I have a compatible credit card.

AMA over on reddit with some of the Nexus team.

• Advertisement

Carphone warehouse have the 5x and 6p sim free available for pre-order. 6p is working out about €50 cheaper than from Google Ireland but they only have the 32 gig one. Free delivery to mainland UK but they do have a collect in store option (link seems to be broken at the moment though) so could collect it up North but might not be worth it if you had to make a special trip.

29moa3a.png
    souvc4.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,967 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

how does this compare to the S6 edge plus, which do you think is the better phone , and better value.

I'm also disappointed with the price, it really is a huge rip off compared to prices in America.

2smiggy wrote: »
    how does this compare to the S6 edge plus, which do you think is the better phone , and better value.

I'm also disappointed with the price, it really is a huge rip off compared to prices in America.

I'm getting the Edge+ on contract today. I think they're around the same for value, maybe the Edge+ seems overpriced next to the 6P. All you're getting for the extra cost is the screen with a few edge features, heart rate monitor, wireless charging, and an extra gig of RAM.

I basically have the attitude that if I want to get the 6P down the line, I can just sell my Edge+ and the proceeds should pretty much cover the 6P.

I've preordered a 6p but am still looking at alternatives. The LG G4 is a strong contender €425 on pixmania.ie or €389 on Eglobalcentral but no free plastic back with the leather version and warranty from Eglobal not LG. Screen and camera both great and double tap to wake too. Main thing putting me off would be reports of poor battery life but I see there's a new firmware update that hopefully will help.

Also considering the Note 5 from eglobalcentral at €623 but they only have the 32 gb one at the moment - they told me they maybe getting it in but don't now when. Funnily enough I don't like the 6+ edge as I find the curved edges distracting and would be v easy to damage.

What I'll probably do is wait to get my 6p and return it if I don't like it - another good reason for getting it from the Irish playstore!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭madmoe

I've preordered a 6p but am still looking at alternatives. The LG G4 is a strong contender €425 on pixmania.ie or €389 on Eglobalcentral but no free plastic back with the leather version and warranty from Eglobal not LG. Screen and camera both great and double tap to wake too. Main thing putting me off would be reports of poor battery life but I see there's a new firmware update that hopefully will help.

Also considering the Note 5 from eglobalcentral at €623 but they only have the 32 gb one at the moment - they told me they maybe getting it in but don't now when. Funnily enough I don't like the 6+ edge as I find the curved edges distracting and would be v easy to damage.

What I'll probably do is wait to get my 6p and return it if I don't like it - another good reason for getting it from the Irish playstore!

How easy would it be to return the 6P? Tempted to buy it as well, sold my Nexus 6 and just sold a Galaxy Nexus to fun this but I want to see what the reviews are like first before pulling the trigger ;-)

• Advertisement

madmoe wrote: »
    How easy would it be to return the 6P? Tempted to buy it as well, sold my Nexus 6 and just sold a Galaxy Nexus to fun this but I want to see what the reviews are like first before pulling the trigger ;-)

Returning is pretty easy due to distance selling regulations. I think you get 2 weeks, maybe even a month.

Can't see how you'd ever regret the 6P. Great screen, big battery, marshmallow. The camera was ranked the second best behind the Samsung S6 variants by dxo mark. I believe it has now slipped to 3rd, as the Z5 has taken over top spot.

madmoe wrote: »
    How easy would it be to return the 6P?

Irish playstore T & C

This information applies to devices and accessories purchased in Ireland.

Returns & exchanges
    Google wants you to love the devices and accessories that you buy from the Google Store. If you want to return something you bought, you can initiate a return of the item within 15 calendar days after you (or your designated recipient) receive the last item in your order. We’ll send a full refund, including your original shipping charges, to your Google Wallet account within 14 calendar days after Google receives evidence that the item was returned in accordance with the return instructions below. You won't incur any fees as a result of this refund. We will provide a pre-paid shipping label for you to return the item. You must use the the pre-paid shipping provided or you will be responsible for any shipping costs to return the item.

We may:

Not reimburse you for shipping charges that were more than the cost of the least expensive delivery option we offer.
    Withhold refunds until we have received the returned items or we have evidence that the item was returned, whichever is the earliest.
    Deduct from the refund any loss in value of any items returned, if the loss is the result of unnecessary handling by you.
    Tip: All purchases from November 10, 2014 - December 25, 2014 may be be returned through January 9, 2015.

The Google Store doesn’t do exchanges. You can return your purchase and use your refund to buy something else though.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Dozz

Hi all
    I am going to Vegas at the end of November and am hoping to be able to purchase a 6p in Best Buy or places like that.
    Any advice on this as an approach?? i.e. is the U.S. version the same as the European one?
    Cheers

Dozz wrote: »
    Hi all
    I am going to Vegas at the end of November and am hoping to be able to purchase a 6p in Best Buy or places like that.
    Any advice on this as an approach?? i.e. is the U.S. version the same as the European one?
    Cheers

From what I gather, you'll have problems with 4g back here, unless you use 3 network.

Only available from the US playstore or on contract.

• Advertisement

Thanks @Basil3 is there any way to confirm this issue as I am with emobile.
    @digitaldr Thanks for the info. I am aware of that but will keep an eye on the best buy website just incase. If its still the case when I get there Ill look at some other phones.
    Thanks for the feedback

Dozz wrote: »
    Thanks @Basil3 is there any way to confirm this issue as I am with emobile.
    @digitaldr Thanks for the info. I am aware of that but will keep an eye on the best buy website just incase. If its still the case when I get there Ill look at some other phones.
    Thanks for the feedback

You'll have to research LTE bands used by the American one, and bands used here. I think there was talk about it earlier in the thread.

Pretty sure the 5X is fine, but the 6P will have issues on most irish networks.

Im assuming that the emobile lte bands are the same as meteors which are 3 + 20.
    If thats the case it seems I should be okay with a U.S. purchased one.
    LTE (FDD) B2/3/4/5/7/12/13/17/25/26/29/30

I was checking on my order status (unchanged :() when I noticed a chat button so I asked the Google service rep exactly what they meant by saying that "unnecessary handling" could mean a partial refund if I returned my 6p within 14 day. Here's what she said:
    If you are not happy with the device, you can return the device within 15 days.
    Normal usage is allowed. Please make sure there are no accidental damages or cosmetic damage while returning the device for a full refund.

So good job I've ordered a case too!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭OmegaRed

Any idea of if/when this will be available in a bricks & mortar store in Dublin / Ireland?

I doubt you'll be seeing if in the shops anytime soon. You could just avail of Google's two week return policy if you want to try it out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭ChopShop

OmegaRed wrote: »
    Any idea of if/when this will be available in a bricks & mortar store in Dublin / Ireland?

I'm not sure that's what Nexus devices are about any more :confused:

Nevermind the fact that most phone retailers in this country can't or wont keep up with the amount of Android handsets being released.

Just rejoice at the fact you can actually buy it without having to jump through hoops this time :)

Nevermind the fact that most phone retailers in this country can't or wont keep up with the amount of Android handsets being released

Agreed - very frustrating that we can't try more android phones in the flesh. I can understand the likes of the more obscure ones but you'd think somewhere might stock eg the LG G4. Even the Chinese phone shops in Dublin stick to the usual suspects. I guess that's what the vast majority of the public want. I've often thought it's be a good idea to organise a boards android devices meet up - you show me yours etc :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭BigCon

OmegaRed wrote: »
    Argos will probably stock it at some point

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭madmoe

Agreed - very frustrating that we can't try more android phones in the flesh. I can understand the likes of the more obscure ones but you'd think somewhere might stock eg the LG G4. Even the Chinese phone shops in Dublin stick to the usual suspects. I guess that's what the vast majority of the public want. I've often thought it's be a good idea to organise a boards android devices meet up - you show me yours etc :eek:

Great idea for a meetup!! ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭LeeroyJ.

Anyone able to pre order one? It says not available in your country for me.

LeeroyJ. wrote: »
    Anyone able to pre order one? It says not available in your country for me.

You're right. I checked my preorder this morning and the not available in your country has just appeared since then. I can't imagine they expected too many preorders from Ireland so I guess they only gave us a small allocation or maybe it's a temporary glitch. I might web chat with a goole rep later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Zen 2nd

My order still says that it is expected on 3rd - 5th November. When did you order?

I'm the same, ordered a few hours after launch. Asked one of the Google reps this morning if I might get it sooner - she just told me to keep checking my order status.Also she didn't have any update on whether or not nexus protect would be available in Ireland.

First unboxing and hands on video (from India - wonder if US sites are under an embargo?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 in5pectre

The back of it with that bar that housed the camera and sensor is ugly. It looks like noticeably protrudes a lot.

5x is nicer but that battery.

Never thought I'd go back to Samsung, but it's looking like the best option.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭JKGT

Still pending with a 28-30 oct delivery date hoping to see some movement tomorrow, anybody any different?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,836 ✭✭✭thomasj

in5pectre wrote: »
    The back of it with that bar that housed the camera and sensor is ugly. It looks like noticeably protrudes a lot.

5x is nicer but that battery.

Never thought I'd go back to Samsung, but it's looking like the best option.

Nah I think the 5x protrudes more the 6p is not as noticable in the flesh, especially the dark one. Commentators who have experienced the phone have said the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

JKGT wrote: »
    Still pending with a 28-30 oct delivery date hoping to see some movement tomorrow, anybody any different?

Nope, I'm still down as pending for 3-5 Nov and nothing has been charged to my card yet

Same here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 189 ✭✭nursewally

JohnK wrote: »
    Nope, I'm still down as pending for 3-5 Nov and nothing has been charged to my card yet

You guys are lucky, my order is down for a Nov 5-9th delivery!

Wow...there is alot of hating on nexus for a higher price. You have to remember this is the first premium (externally anyway) phone they have made. So course the 6p price is going to be on par with the rest.

The price difference between US and european is painful I agree though.

I had an LG G3 when they first came out, got it in from germany. I found the network was shocking on it. Bought it unlocked and was with emobile. Sent it back to germany and got a new one. Same problems. In the end I got rid of it. Network in my area had been fine with old (and new) phone.
    Not sure if they had the same issue with the G4?

Anyway im glad im getting it and got 450 for my iphone 6 so didnt really pay all that much for it in the end. It pays in the long run to upgrade regularly.

Endgadget review is up!

Edit:

In fact quite a few more reviews.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭banjobongo

I asked VOdafone on boards.ie today about when will the Nexus 6P be available to buy in Ireland on Vodafone and they saiid they have no plans to sell it at all:

Hi there,

We are not planning to range this device at the moment,

Apologies.

Will 3 or any of the major telcos in Ireland be selling it anytime in Ireland on a bill pay basis does anybody know?

AFAIK no Irish carrier has ever offered a Nexus phone although could be wrong on this. In general the networks here seem to he very unadventurous with their phone offerings especially at the more premium end of the market - maybe just reflects demand. Most people seem to want an iPhone or Sammy.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Stoolbend

AFAIK no Irish carrier has ever offered a Nexus phone although could be wrong on this. In general the networks here seem to he very unadventurous with their phone offerings especially at the more premium end of the market - maybe just reflects demand. Most people seem to want an iPhone or Sammy.

Vodafone definitely sold the Galaxy Nexus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭banjobongo

Stoolbend wrote: »
    Vodafone definitely sold the Galaxy Nexus.

correct. I have had a Nexus phone before, and it was a good phone at the time...

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭LeeroyJ.

Meteor sold the Nexus 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭OmegaRed

Got my Nexus S back in the day with o2... how times have changed in phones and networks.....

I'm hoping the a currys / PC world / Argos stocks them. I like to buy sim free phones.

• Advertisement
Advertisement