Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can you be refused mortage for being single?

Options
  • 03-06-2011 5:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

I have been applying for mortgages. My broker has got back to me and said one bank ( KBC ) has refused me a mortage on grounds of my being single, or applying for a mortgage on my own with out a partner. Is that not discrimination based on marital or relationship status?, is such discrimination allowed in Ireland?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭3DataModem

What they mean is single as in 'applicant' or single 'income'... not marital status.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 RosslareChap

3DataModem wrote: »
    What they mean is single as in 'applicant' or single 'income'... not marital status.
    Well from the brokers phone call, I will call in next week as I want the written refusal from the bank, but he said its since I was a single 'i.e one' applicant for the mortage. I have one job and one income, like most people have, but he did not mention 'single income'.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,907 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

I have been applying for mortgages. My broker has got back to me and said one bank ( KBC ) has refused me a mortage on grounds of my being single, or applying for a mortgage on my own with out a partner. Is that not discrimination based on marital or relationship status?, is such discrimination allowed in Ireland?

They've really clamped down on the amount they will lend these days. I'd say the reason why you where refused was because you're single income isn't enough for the mortgage. I'm not sure what they've gone back to but it's only 3 or 4 times salary.

Del2005 wrote: »
    They've really clamped down on the amount they will lend these days. I'd say the reason why you where refused was because you're single income isn't enough for the mortgage. I'm not sure what they've gone back to but it's only 3 or 4 times salary.
    The house I am wanting to buy is 130K, I was applying for an 80K mortgage, and I have a 50K deposit, and no car loans or any other kinds of debt. The 80K is around two times salary. I have a degree from Trinity in '91 and an MSc from UCD in '92 in science subjects. I work in the IT field and have been since '92. I have never been unemployed at any point since graduation. I have been with my current employer for 9 years.

The fact I cant get a mortgage has shown how much banks are taking the piss. My financial situation is where mortgages should have been given, and country would not be in the mess its in now. But now they wont even give out mortgages in such cases, i.e punishing those who did not act stupid during the mad years and instead focused on building a good deposit and wait for the inevitable crash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Cill Dara Abu

Just because you have a degree from Trinity doesnt entitle you to a mortgage, royshh:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

If you were married to or living with an unemployed partner the result would be the same.

Just because you have a degree from Trinity doesnt entitle you to a mortgage, royshh:rolleyes:
    I was not expecting that to be the only factor, but qualifications and skills in general, years of work experience, job stability, large deposit, small mortgage amount etc... should ALL be taken together, rather than look at Maritial Status question and bin applications if person is single.

Advertisement