Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unusual scenerio

Options
  • 24-11-2010 11:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭

If someone parked in the centre of a grass area, next to a road, could they be guilty of illegal parking? The car was parked with the nose pointing toward the camera.

If a guard came along and accused you of illegal parking but when asked for clarification about whats actually illegal, all they say is you cannot park wherever you like, are they talking rubbish?

I had this discussion this evening, but when pressed for clarification, all I got was "illegal parking, illegal parking" a fine will be in the post !

I have checked the irish statute book and transport.ie and there is plenty about parking on a road, bus stop and even cycle lane, but nothing about this being illegal.

Any opinions?

Just got a bee in my bonnet :)

attachment.php?attachmentid=136330&d=1290638125

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭dermot_sheehan

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1997/en/si/0182.html#zzsi182y1997a36
    Prohibitions on Parking
    36. (1) Save as otherwise provided for in these Regulations and subject to article 5, a vehicle shall not be parked on a public road at a location, in a manner or for a purpose referred to in this article.
    (2) A vehicle shall not be parked—
    ( i ) on a footway, a grass margin or a median strip;

"grass margin" means that portion of a public road situated on either side of a footway and which is provided for the growing of grass, trees or shrubbery of any kind;

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

gabhain7 wrote: »

Wow, that was quick.

Thanks for that. Don't suppose you know the typical fines involved???

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/2006/en/si/0135.html

€40,

its an offence in Schedule 3 Part 2

Thank you very much, thats not to bad (pity the meal in the restaurant was naff LOL)

its €40 if you pay the fixed penalty on time,

if it goes to court i think the max is €800 or so.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 gogowest

I cant believe you parked there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Jagle

gogowest wrote: »
    I cant believe you parked there!

i have the exact same feelings

• Registered Users Posts: 2,482 ✭✭✭JG009

Where did you park on that pic?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

Did you park in the middle of the green?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Reloc8

its one of those situations where you think to yourself 'I've just had the best idea in the world ! I can't believe no one else has thought of this ! idiots!'

Ah well a lesson learned.

• Advertisement

Seemed at good idea at the time with a dodgy shoulder and a heavy baby in a carry chair.

This green has been used for displaying cars in the past.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

Seemed at good idea at the time with a dodgy shoulder and a heavy baby in a carry chair.

I presume you drove over a footpath to get to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭D.McC

gabhain7 wrote: »
    http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/2006/en/si/0135.html

€40,

its an offence in Schedule 3 Part 2

€80 if the clampers get you

This is also a parking offence.

Is the piece of land in the photo, public land or privately owned.

If it is public then the parking sections of the Road Traffic Act apply. If it is private, then the landowner can make up their own rules.

Well four months have gone by and havent heard a dickybird.

How long does the guard have ?

Six months ?

(unless the postman has lost or misdelivered my post again - true - honestly)

About 6 months 2 weeks now, so this is probably dead now ???

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

If only they built a big shopping centre and provided a couple of thousand parking spcaes within 50 meters or so of that grass verge, you could have parked there instead...................

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tom Young

They might let you off for the pure novelty of the feat. Doubtful.

If only they built a big shopping centre and provided a couple of thousand parking spcaes within 50 meters or so of that grass verge, you could have parked there instead...................

When your just out of hospital, and have a sprog who is pulling the arm of you in a carry chair, it seemed a great idea at the time. That verge used to be used by a car dealer to diplay jeeps all the way along !

So its probably dead then? the guard cannot follow through after six months?

It would be nice to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

When your just out of hospital, and have a sprog who is pulling the arm of you in a carry chair, it seemed a great idea at the time. That verge used to be used by a car dealer to diplay jeeps all the way along !

So its probably dead then? the guard cannot follow through after six months?

It would be nice to know.

I assume the restaurant you were in is one of the ones accross the road to the left? Is that further away than the car park across the road where the traffic is heading in the pic? If we get the trundle wheels out I'd say there may be a couple of meters in it at most.

er no, its only half the distance, we didnt have the wheels and I was just out of the heart ward (for your info)

• Advertisement
Advertisement