Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need to find proof

Options
  • 04-06-2011 12:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭

If this isnt the relevant forum for this question then mods do your stuff :)

The better half needs to open a bank account so that she can have somewhere for her college grants to go when she receives them.

The Bank said she needs proof of where she lives before they will let her open an account. Iv asked the auld pair and they said "Tell her Mam to bring a bill to the bank, as long as they have the same surname then this is proof enough that your gf lives at home with her,"

This sounds like bullshít to me.

So.. how does she go about getting proof of where she lives? She's never had a bank account before and never had a bill to pay.

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

An ML10 fom from the Garda station. Tell her to go down with her mam and her mothers passport and proof of adress as well as a passport photo of herself. Fill out the form and get the Garda to sign and stamp it and the photo to confirm she lives there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭TangyZizzle

Seanbeag1 wrote: »
    An ML10 fom from the Garda station. Tell her to go down with her mam and her mothers passport and proof of adress as well as a passport photo of herself. Fill out the form and get the Garda to sign and stamp it and the photo to confirm she lives there.

Will a bill addressed to her Mam be enough to cover this?

Will a bill addressed to her Mam be enough to cover this?

Once the Garda is satisfied she lives there so anything to proove that would help.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

we all have to do that now days, i guess driving licence, passport, home address, driving licence and passport have address on them, utility bill in her name, phone bill if she has a billpay mobile phone

Cheers lads.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

I only got my first bank account in September because I used to get paid cash in hand (small company, didn't bother with banking the wages). When I opened my account in September with AIB, I just needed a bill addressed to my mother and my passport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

With all this online billing it's actually hard these days to get a utility bill with your address on it!

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭angeline

An ML10 form is ONLY for people who do not possess a current passport or driving licence. It is proof of identity for such people only. Normally a utility bill is needed for proof of address or something official posted to that person at that address.

angeline wrote: »
    An ML10 form is ONLY for people who do not possess a current passport or driving licence. It is proof of identity for such people only. Normally a utility bill is needed for proof of address or something official posted to that person at that address.

So the fact that she has a passport means they won't let her fill the form out?

Since a utility bill is out of the question and the letter she received from DIT isn't 'official' according to the girl in the bank, what do you suggest she brings? Or has sent to her?

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭angeline

Well, the ML10 form states 'I declare that I do not hold a current passport or driving licence'. I know that banks have gotten very strict re proof of identity, but her passport covers that part. They shouldn't be as strict with her proof of address if she lives at home, she can't be reasonably expected to have a utility bill. Perhaps if she went in to the bank with her mum, and have her mum show the utility bill and confirm she lives with her. Sometimes it's a case of being a little bit pushy. But, the ML10 is merely a cert of identity, not proof of address.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Can she use a p60 addressed to her for proof of address?

Come on folks. She's already spoken with a girl in the bank while she had her mother with her. She was told to bring something 'official'. What should she bring?

What if she registered to vote? Surely this will be official enough for this gobsheen of a bank person.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭234

Electoral register worked for me in BoI.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,281 ✭✭✭✭Victor

You need to convince them, while they prefer certain things, that doesn't mean they won't accept others.

What official correspondence does she have to that address?

What if she registered to vote? Surely this will be official enough for this gobsheen of a bank person.

Hardly their fault she's been living off her parents. Has she no correspondence from the college or a P60 or anything official at all?

Advertisement