Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland blocks EU citizens personal data sharing plan with Israel.

• 10-07-2010 6:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭

"Ireland has positioned a stronger stance against Israel by blocking a European Union plan to allow the sharing of European citizens' personal data with Tel Aviv.

According to a spokesman for Irish Justice Minister Dermot Ahern, the Irish government had the “gravest concern” that information supplied to Israeli officials could be used to forge passports for use by intelligence agencies".

It is not often that I commend the government but fair play to them for trying to put a stop on this one.

People must now realise that Israel is a rogue state that is willing to try anything including committing murder and then have the audacity to try and cover it up using false international passports.

Good on Dermot Ahern.

http://presstv.ir/detail.aspx?id=134055&sectionid=351020601

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

People must now realise that Israel is a rogue state that is willing to try anything including committing murder and then have the audacity to try and cover it up using false international passports.

Good on Dermot Ahern.

Well let's just hope that he's consistent and views the recent fraudulent use of Irish passports by the Russians with the same concern as when the Israelis were deemed to have done so. If we're to be even handed, I'd expect the expulsion of a Russian diplomat at the very least, but I wouldn't hold my breath, as there seems to be a double standard applied to Israel, and nowhere more so than in this country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Do we have a source for this other than the above?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Nodin wrote: »

Press TV is a valid media source.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Nodin wrote: »
    It was in the Irish Times on Thursday if that helps. I suspect a google search for <dermot ahern passport israel> will yield useful results of the Irish Times variety.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Einhard wrote: »
    but I wouldn't hold my breath, as there seems to be a double standard applied to Israel, and nowhere more so than in this country.

Oh, I most certainly agree there is a double standard, in favor of Israel. After all, last time I checked Iran is under quite a few UN sanctions due to there Nuclear program, and in the case of Israel there are no sanctions at all for there Nuclear arsenal, and not to mention the fact they are also violating a number of UN resolutions, and again no UN sanctions. They violate any number of agreements and they get away with, and the Palestinians are put under siege backed by many Western countries, who only very recently started speaking out against it.

I find it laughable that anyone would suggest that there is a negative double standard against Israel, when the US protects them from any sanction and they receive billions in aid each year, and that they have favorable trade status with the EU, membership of OECD etc.

What Israel did with Irish, UK and other countries passports, was show that they are not really trust worthy with our data. In fact I think it time we review other aspects of the EU relationship with Israel, as the last time I checked friendly countries don't steal passports to murder people.

Also, I do agree we should expel a Russian diplomat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

sceptre wrote: »
    It was in the Irish Times on Thursday if that helps. I suspect a google search for <dermot ahern passport israel> will yield useful results of the Irish Times variety.

to save y'all the effort
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/world/2010/0708/1224274266971.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,151 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

According to a spokesman for Irish Justice Minister Dermot Ahern, the Irish government had the “gravest concern” that information supplied to Israeli officials could be used to forge passports for use by intelligence agencies".

just making up for their own mistakes then, arent they.

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055918503

Overheal wrote: »
    just making up for their own mistakes then, arent they.

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055918503

What mistakes are you referring to? :confused:
    or do you mean refusing a foreign state access to our passport process is a mistake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Great stuff. Martin has bided his time and played this one well.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭mrboswell

I may make it more difficult for them but as we already share that type of info with the US won't they just get it from the US anyway?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,684 ✭✭✭JustinDee

Press TV is a valid media source.
    Really? Not even a hint of a tint in that channel at all?
    :rolleyes:

With the "integrity of the Irish passport" in mind, what would people's opinion be of the so-called 'Columbia Three'?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

wes wrote: »
    Oh, I most certainly agree there is a double standard, in favor of Israel. After all, last time I checked Iran is under quite a few UN sanctions due to there Nuclear program, and in the case of Israel there are no sanctions at all for there Nuclear arsenal, and not to mention the fact they are also violating a number of UN resolutions, and again no UN sanctions. They violate any number of agreements and they get away with, and the Palestinians are put under siege backed by many Western countries, who only very recently started speaking out against it.

I find it laughable that anyone would suggest that there is a negative double standard against Israel, when the US protects them from any sanction and they receive billions in aid each year, and that they have favorable trade status with the EU, membership of OECD etc.

What Israel did with Irish, UK and other countries passports, was show that they are not really trust worthy with our data. In fact I think it time we review other aspects of the EU relationship with Israel, as the last time I checked friendly countries don't steal passports to murder people.

Also, I do agree we should expel a Russian diplomat.

By any objective measurement wes, the actions of the state of Israel are held to a different standard than practically any other sovereign state. It's not laughable at all to call for some consistency in our foreign policy, or in the general reaction to international events. The passport issue is a case in point. When Israel forged Irish documents there was uproar in this country. There were countless articles, news pieces and editorials commenting on the matter, and even calls to break off diplomatic relations with Israel. Needless to say, boards erupted in a frenzy, and Israel was depicted as not merely duplicitous, but almost as a hostile entity. And yet, a few weeks later, we find out that Russia has been fraudulently using Irish passports and there's not a peep of protest! It's as if it's all one big game. There's been plenty of comment alright, with articles devoted to the fact that the Russian spy is pretty hot, and how Cold War-chic the whole affair is. But strangely enough, very little on the misuse of Irish passports. No calls for the expulsion of any Russian diplomats, let alone the suspension of diplomatic relations. I don't know about you wes, but that smaks of double standards to me.

Not that it comes as a surprise mind. Israel (and the US) has long been subject to condemnation for actions which pass without reprimand when committed by other states. To reference Russia yet again- The Russian Federation waged a war of almost unprecedented brutality in Chechnya at the end of the 90s and into the last decade. Tens of thousands were killed indisciminately, Grozny was levelled, civilians deliberately targeted by Russian forces in reprisal killings, torture, rape, enslavement all rampant. And yet, there was barely a murmur of protest in the international media. Every "activist" in the world knows of Hebron or Gaza, yet mention Grozny to them, and they stare back blankly. Even today, Russia is involved in appalling human rights abuses in Ingushetia and the other Caucusus republics. And nothing is heard of it. Nothing is reported. Robert Fisk writes no articles brimming with outrage and indignation.

Then we have China. A few years back, the Chinese premier (or president, I can't remember Hu- groan!) made a state visit to Ireland. He's the leader of a nation whose domestic policy revolves around supressing individual rights, and crushing not only dissent, but independent thought. Torture is routine, and citizens locked away for speaking their mind. Tibet has been occupied by this state for the past 50 years, and brutally so. Beijing is entirely open about its policy of diluting and destroying indigenous Tibetan culture, has banned centuries old traditions and practises, and has flooded the region with Han Chinese, in a blatant example of cultural genocide. This occurs not only in Tibet, but also the Uighur provinces, where any form of dissent is brutally and swiftly crushed. And yet, there is barely a squeak of outrage. I remember watching the news coverage of the premier's visit, and there were three Falun Gong protestors. All bore the scars of their torture at the hands of the Chinese regime. All testified to the brutality they had endured. But there was no Irish protestor in sight. And criticism was so muted as to be non-existent. And yet, some time later, when George Bush arrived, the army had to be deployed around Dromoland to deal with the tens of thousands who protested his visit. I can't even imagine the scenes had Ariel Sharon popped over, or if Netanyahu flew in for a state visit. Again, I find it hard to believe that any reasonable person could fail to see the inconsistency here.

Only recently, the Iranian foreign minister paid a visit to Dublin. Again, the majority of the smattering of protestors were Iranians who hand first had experience of that murderous regime. This is a government which advocates the stoning of female adulturers, which massacres its own citizens on the streets, which rapes, tortures and murders political prisoners, and is widely acknowledged to fund terorist groups the world over. And yet, I read no editorials condemning the visit, no articles excoriating the Tehran administration, no threads on boards detailing the crimes and abuses routinely inflicted on Iranian dissenters. Indeed, the only reason the visit garnered any attention was because some of the protestors were beaten by the FM's bodygaurds! Imagine the outcry were the goons of an Israeli minister to beat Irish citizens and residents in public!! We'd have been demanding an EU invasion force! And yet, quelle surprise, barely an eyebrow is raised when it's Iranian thugs dealing out the blows.

I could go on wes. I could go on and on and on and on detailing the instances where Israel has been lambasted for actions which pale in comparison to abuses carried out by other nations, and for which the other nations recieve little or no censure. The inconsistency, hypocrisy even, is blatant. It's the reason why some on the pro-Israel side wrongly view criticism as stemming from anti-semitism. They can't understand how it could be anything else when representatives of truly murderous regimes are welcomed around the world with barely a murmur of protest, while Israeli dignitaries are threatened with arrest and trial. They watch as global opinion is silent on Chechnya, Timor, Tibet etc, and yet rounds on Israel for relatively minor infractions. I don't believe it's anti-semitic myself, but I can't help but be astounded at the hypocrisy. Can you explain the double standard? Or, as I suspect, will you ignore all the evidence and persist in your belief that there is none?

In relation to your assertions regarding Iran and the sanctions imposed because of her nuclear programme, it might help your case if you actually informed yourself before expressing an opinion. Iran is a signatory to the Nuclear Non- Proliferation Treaty. It maintains that it is abiding by the treaty, even in the face of independent evidence that it is actively pursuing nuclear weapons. Israel, on the other hand, is not a signatory. Neither are India or Pakistan, which coincidentally developed their own nuclear arsenal without incurring sanctions. Furthermore, it's quite noteworthy that the sanctions imposed on Iran have the full, if not explicit, support of most of the other regimes in the Middle East who rightly fear the destabalising effect that a nuclear armed, terrorist funding theocracy will have on the region.

I'd also add that Israel, unlike Iran, does not call for the destruction of other nations, and does not sponsor organisations whose stated goal is the destruction of other nations. The following is from the Hamas charter:

"The Day of Judgement will not come about until Muslims fight the Jews (killing the Jews), when the Jew will hide behind stones and trees. The stones and trees will say O Muslims, O Abdulla, there is a Jew behind me, come and kill him. Only the Gharkad tree, would not do that because it is one of the trees of the Jews."

Iran is quite open in its funding and enabling of Hamas. Iran wants nuclear weapons. Frankly, I'd be surprised if Israel and her main ally, the US, didn't react negatively to the prospect of an Iranian bomb.

Finally, the fact that the the US shields Israel, her main ally in the region, from UN sanctions does not in any way imply a general double standard. It might indicate an inconsistency on the part of Washington legislators, but it certainly does not negate from the fact that, as outlined above, Israel is routinely condemned for even the most insignificant actions (eg. the video of IDF soldiers dancing posted the other day), while the most brutal regimes are practically given a free pass.

PS: Before I'm misrepresented, the above is not intended as a defence of Israel or her policies.

I wasn't aware that people were under the delusion that Russia, China or Iran were anything other than repressive states.

Isn't Iran under a large number of international sanctions?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

By any objective measurement wes, the actions of the state of Israel are held to a different standard than practically any other sovereign state.

Israel is held to the standards it claims to warrant - that of a democratic Western country. When was the last time Finland or France sent out death squads using our passports?

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭Byron85

I'd also add that Israel, unlike Iran, does not call for the destruction of other nations, and does not sponsor organisations whose stated goal is the destruction of other nations. The following is from the Hamas charter:

"The Day of Judgement will not come about until Muslims fight the Jews (killing the Jews), when the Jew will hide behind stones and trees. The stones and trees will say O Muslims, O Abdulla, there is a Jew behind me, come and kill him. Only the Gharkad tree, would not do that because it is one of the trees of the Jews."

Two things. Firstly the reference to Iran wanting to wipe other nations off the map. Obviously that's a reference to the widely mistranslated comment by the Iranian President. He didn't say "wipe Israel off the map". The full quote translated directly to English: "The Imam said this regime occupying Jerusalem must vanish from the page of time". On the other hand, Israeli settlers who hold a great deal of sway with the Israeli government, have consistently called for the destruction of the Palestinian people. The latest thing i've seen regarding this was a sign painted "Gas the Arabs".

Secondly, the above extract from the Hamas charter is somewhat irrelevant for the following reason.
    The charter's current status within Hamas is unclear. For example, Mousa Abu Marzook, the deputy of the political bureau of Hamas, in 2007 described the charter as "an essentially revolutionary document born of the intolerable conditions under occupation" in 1988. Senior British diplomat and former British ambassador to the UN Sir Jeremy Greenstock stated in early 2009 that the Hamas charter was "drawn up by a Hamas-linked imam some [twenty] years ago and has never been adopted since Hamas was elected as the Palestinian government in 2006".

There are things in the Irish constitution which are less than democratic and are somewhat regressive but that doesn't mean that Ireland is seen as a crackpot nation. Like it or not, but Hamas were democratically elected and it was in line with international standards.
    After polls closed, officials and observers called the vote "peaceful"; Edward McMillan-Scott, the British Conservative head of the European Parliament's monitoring team described the polls as "extremely professional, in line with international standards, free, transparent and without violence".

sceptre wrote: »

Indeed. I made the mistake of thinking it was news on the date of the OP and, seeing no sign of it, made the query.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

I'm dumbfounded at the idea of even sharing information with Israel. It is not an EU member state, and is not responsible enough to hold any information on EU citizens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭mrboswell

By any objective measurement wes, the actions of the state of Israel are held to a different standard than practically any other sovereign state. It's not laughable at all to call for some consistency in our foreign policy, or in the general reaction to international events. The passport issue is a case in point. When Israel forged Irish documents there was uproar in this country. There were countless articles, news pieces and editorials commenting on the matter, and even calls to break off diplomatic relations with Israel. Needless to say, boards erupted in a frenzy, and Israel was depicted as not merely duplicitous, but almost as a hostile entity. And yet, a few weeks later, we find out that Russia has been fraudulently using Irish passports and there's not a peep of protest! It's as if it's all one big game. There's been plenty of comment alright, with articles devoted to the fact that the Russian spy is pretty hot, and how Cold War-chic the whole affair is. But strangely enough, very little on the misuse of Irish passports. No calls for the expulsion of any Russian diplomats, let alone the suspension of diplomatic relations. I don't know about you wes, but that smaks of double standards to me.

Not that it comes as a surprise mind. Israel (and the US) has long been subject to condemnation for actions which pass without reprimand when committed by other states. To reference Russia yet again- The Russian Federation waged a war of almost unprecedented brutality in Chechnya at the end of the 90s and into the last decade. Tens of thousands were killed indisciminately, Grozny was levelled, civilians deliberately targeted by Russian forces in reprisal killings, torture, rape, enslavement all rampant. And yet, there was barely a murmur of protest in the international media. Every "activist" in the world knows of Hebron or Gaza, yet mention Grozny to them, and they stare back blankly. Even today, Russia is involved in appalling human rights abuses in Ingushetia and the other Caucusus republics. And nothing is heard of it. Nothing is reported. Robert Fisk writes no articles brimming with outrage and indignation.

Then we have China. A few years back, the Chinese premier (or president, I can't remember Hu- groan!) made a state visit to Ireland. He's the leader of a nation whose domestic policy revolves around supressing individual rights, and crushing not only dissent, but independent thought. Torture is routine, and citizens locked away for speaking their mind. Tibet has been occupied by this state for the past 50 years, and brutally so. Beijing is entirely open about its policy of diluting and destroying indigenous Tibetan culture, has banned centuries old traditions and practises, and has flooded the region with Han Chinese, in a blatant example of cultural genocide. This occurs not only in Tibet, but also the Uighur provinces, where any form of dissent is brutally and swiftly crushed. And yet, there is barely a squeak of outrage. I remember watching the news coverage of the premier's visit, and there were three Falun Gong protestors. All bore the scars of their torture at the hands of the Chinese regime. All testified to the brutality they had endured. But there was no Irish protestor in sight. And criticism was so muted as to be non-existent. And yet, some time later, when George Bush arrived, the army had to be deployed around Dromoland to deal with the tens of thousands who protested his visit. I can't even imagine the scenes had Ariel Sharon popped over, or if Netanyahu flew in for a state visit. Again, I find it hard to believe that any reasonable person could fail to see the inconsistency here.

Only recently, the Iranian foreign minister paid a visit to Dublin. Again, the majority of the smattering of protestors were Iranians who hand first had experience of that murderous regime. This is a government which advocates the stoning of female adulturers, which massacres its own citizens on the streets, which rapes, tortures and murders political prisoners, and is widely acknowledged to fund terorist groups the world over. And yet, I read no editorials condemning the visit, no articles excoriating the Tehran administration, no threads on boards detailing the crimes and abuses routinely inflicted on Iranian dissenters. Indeed, the only reason the visit garnered any attention was because some of the protestors were beaten by the FM's bodygaurds! Imagine the outcry were the goons of an Israeli minister to beat Irish citizens and residents in public!! We'd have been demanding an EU invasion force! And yet, quelle surprise, barely an eyebrow is raised when it's Iranian thugs dealing out the blows.

I could go on wes. I could go on and on and on and on detailing the instances where Israel has been lambasted for actions which pale in comparison to abuses carried out by other nations, and for which the other nations recieve little or no censure. The inconsistency, hypocrisy even, is blatant. It's the reason why some on the pro-Israel side wrongly view criticism as stemming from anti-semitism. They can't understand how it could be anything else when representatives of truly murderous regimes are welcomed around the world with barely a murmur of protest, while Israeli dignitaries are threatened with arrest and trial. They watch as global opinion is silent on Chechnya, Timor, Tibet etc, and yet rounds on Israel for relatively minor infractions. I don't believe it's anti-semitic myself, but I can't help but be astounded at the hypocrisy. Can you explain the double standard? Or, as I suspect, will you ignore all the evidence and persist in your belief that there is none?

In relation to your assertions regarding Iran and the sanctions imposed because of her nuclear programme, it might help your case if you actually informed yourself before expressing an opinion. Iran is a signatory to the Nuclear Non- Proliferation Treaty. It maintains that it is abiding by the treaty, even in the face of independent evidence that it is actively pursuing nuclear weapons. Israel, on the other hand, is not a signatory. Neither are India or Pakistan, which coincidentally developed their own nuclear arsenal without incurring sanctions. Furthermore, it's quite noteworthy that the sanctions imposed on Iran have the full, if not explicit, support of most of the other regimes in the Middle East who rightly fear the destabalising effect that a nuclear armed, terrorist funding theocracy will have on the region.

Iran is quite open in its funding and enabling of Hamas. Iran wants nuclear weapons. Frankly, I'd be surprised if Israel and her main ally, the US, didn't react negatively to the prospect of an Iranian bomb.

Finally, the fact that the the US shields Israel, her main ally in the region, from UN sanctions does not in any way imply a general double standard. It might indicate an inconsistency on the part of Washington legislators, but it certainly does not negate from the fact that, as outlined above, Israel is routinely condemned for even the most insignificant actions (eg. the video of IDF soldiers dancing posted the other day), while the most brutal regimes are practically given a free pass.

PS: Before I'm misrepresented, the above is not intended as a defence of Israel or her policies.

I don’t believe that what you have said is intended as a defence of Israel or her policies.

I don’t have a knowledge of world politics that you appear to have but it goes without saying that there are terrible things happening all over the world and even if I tried I probably couldn’t find out about them all. Whether its by choice or whatever reason there are people like Robert Fisk who put themselves in the way of danger including photographers, cameramen, aid workers etc. Sure they are not in every place that these terrible things happen but without such people we would know even less about them. It probably doesn’t help that US media is monopolised.

I certainly believe with regard to passport/information abuse it should be treated equally and their should be a policy to deal with all such abuses.
    Israel has such a huge media machine that constantly ignores and refutes reports of human rights abuses and it is hard for me to believe that they ever truly want peace with its apparent eye for a eye policy – even the movie Munich was on last night and seems very similar when compared to the recent events surrounding the passports.
    I don’t think it is hard to understand that Irish people may relate more to the Palestinians than Israelis considering our history. I absolutely condemn the actions of Hamas but I can understand how they may not see any other option. Essentially they are surrounded and oppressed and are reacting to what they probably view as their ethnic cleansing. Likewise I also condemn the brutal force the IDF regularly use on all Palestinians, not just Hamas. But I also understand that they may live in fear of Hamas attacks. I suppose similar to the British forces when they were in NI in the past.
    I just think that it is disproportional on the part of Israel’s actions and probably only adds fuel to the cause of Hamas. In spite of everything that has gone on over the years on both sides I would say they are both as committed as ever.

It is fair to say that some of Israel’s recent actions are contentious and they certainly do hide behind their big brother. Hamas is Hamas – we all know what they want when they state it but they are certainly not making statements that they don’t intend to follow up on.
    Israel claims to be a democratic western society but seems to act differently when it suits them. It is hard for me to believe that Israel really want peace, as they regularly claim, with the eye for an eye thing and when they readily dismiss unbiased reports on human rights abuse by their troops. I have seen people totally forget about some horrible things that Hamas has done when Israel retaliates with very deadly force and then refutes any of the reports I mentioned above.

Re: the dance video – I stated that I could be wrong but I though it was a 2 fingers. We will never know. But I do know that other people think I had an ulterior motive, which isn’t true. Maybe I did jump to an incorrect conclusion but I’ll happily admit to that. Anyway I gauged others opinions and unfortunately it went around in circles – I suppose I should have known better.

I’m not trying to get into a big debate and take the topic off in a different direction but with regard to the OP – Israel does deserve criticism. I just wanted to address why I believe you see people in Ireland as having negativity towards Israel.

Certainly I could be wrong on many counts but I think if you were to start threads on actions by the other states you mentioned I’m sure those states would get widespread condemnation here also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Palmach

Byron85 wrote: »
    Two things. Firstly the reference to Iran wanting to wipe other nations off the map. Obviously that's a reference to the widely mistranslated comment by the Iranian President. He didn't say "wipe Israel off the map". The full quote translated directly to English: "The Imam said this regime occupying Jerusalem must vanish from the page of time".

The comments must be seen in the context of the behaviour of Ahmedinijad. He has hosted a Holocaust denial conference. His government arms and trains Hizbollah and Hamas. Iranian TV regularly airs anti-Semitic material including children's programmes hwere Jews are portrayed as pigs and monkeys. Also please read the entire speech from which the piece is lifted there is plenty more about he aspires to see Israel wiped off the map. Only the gullible or the willfully blind would see the utterings of Ahemdinijad as anything other than vicious threats against Israel.
    On the other hand, Israeli settlers who hold a great deal of sway with the Israeli government, have consistently called for the destruction of the Palestinian people. The latest thing i've seen regarding this was a sign painted "Gas the Arabs".

Rubbish. So you saw a sing. Every country has ignorant numpties. Have you proof of anything said by an elected official?

There are things in the Irish constitution which are less than democratic and are somewhat regressive but that doesn't mean that Ireland is seen as a crackpot nation. Like it or not, but Hamas were democratically elected and it was in line with international standards.

They weren't . They kicked Fatah out in a bloody coup. Remember people being thrown off buildings? Is that democratic?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

Palmach wrote: »
    The comments must be seen in the context of the behaviour of Ahmedinijad. He has hosted a Holocaust denial conference. His government arms and trains Hizbollah and Hamas. Iranian TV regularly airs anti-Semitic material including children's programmes hwere Jews are portrayed as pigs and monkeys. Also please read the entire speech from which the piece is lifted there is plenty more about he aspires to see Israel wiped off the map. Only the gullible or the willfully blind would see the utterings of Ahemdinijad as anything other than vicious threats against Israel.

For many years the Irish State and people aspired to see Northern Ireland wiped off the map - does that mean we were making "vicious threats" against the people of Northern Ireland?

You're free to see what you want to see in Ahemdinijad's comments, but the assumption that people who disagree on those comments are "gullible or willfully blind" is insulting to your fellow posters and is not a good footing for you to start the debate on.

regards,
    Scofflaw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭Byron85

The context has been set by the media at large and the poster who originally brought it up in this thread. They focused in on one particular part of a speech that has been mistranslated and misrepresented from the start. They set context and i'm working within it.

Rubbish. So you saw a sing. Every country has ignorant numpties. Have you proof of anything said by an elected official?

For the moment i'll leave you with this. In 2001, the Israeli government budgeted NIS 2.19 billion for settlers. Roughly 20% of the settlers are religious fundamentalists who believe that God granted them the land and that the Palestinians should be "expelled". That's Government sanctioned hatred. That's also not taking into account the ethnic cleansing of Palestine, the words of an Israeli professor by the way, between 1947 - 1948.

They weren't . They kicked Fatah out in a bloody coup. Remember people being thrown off buildings? Is that democratic?

I'll just quote what I previously posted with regard to the elections.
    After polls closed, officials and observers called the vote "peaceful"; Edward McMillan-Scott, the British Conservative head of the European Parliament's monitoring team described the polls as "extremely professional, in line with international standards, free, transparent and without violence".

I don't have the time or the inclination to get into a protracted debate about something that is only slightly relevant to the thread topic at hand.

Like it or not, but Hamas were democratically elected and it was in line with international standards.
    This is a delusion.
    If democracy was ever embraced by Hamas, they would have an opponent politically in Gaza.
    As it happens, they don't as none are permitted.
    There is nothing democratic about Hamas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭donkey balls

i wonder would israel share their data with the EU some how i dont think so:rolleyes: now i might get a ban for the next thing i say, why is it that the majority of jews back israel no matter what they have done.
    im a catholic but i never backed what happened in omagh/warrington etc and im sure the majority of people on this island did;nt

JustinDee wrote: »
    This is a delusion.
    If democracy was ever embraced by Hamas, they would have an opponent politically in Gaza.
    As it happens, they don't as none are permitted.
    There is nothing democratic about Hamas.

Unfortunately, everything you have posted above is incorrect.

Scofflaw wrote: »
    For many years the Irish State and people aspired to see Northern Ireland wiped off the map - does that mean we were making "vicious threats" against the people of Northern Ireland?

What? We wanted to integrate the 6 counties into a united Ireland. We did not seek to wipe the inhabitants of NI off the map. What's more I doubt you can provide any comments from any Irish elected politiicans to suggest otherwise.
    You're free to see what you want to see in Ahemdinijad's comments, but the assumption that people who disagree on those comments are "gullible or willfully blind" is insulting to your fellow posters and is not a good footing for you to start the debate on.

regards,
    Scofflaw

I stand by my comments and I feel any objective observer would see the belligerence of Ahmedinijad. Frankly I doubt therepeople on here who are such sensitive fairys that they'll go off in huff because I call them "gullible or willfully blind".
    The context has been set by the media at large and the poster who originally brought it up in this thread. They focused in on one particular part of a speech that has been mistranslated and misrepresented from the start. They set context and i'm working within it.

The "misrepresentation" of Ahemdinijad's speech is being used as a sop to whitewash Iran and suggest that somehow the whole Iran v Israel is Israel's fault.
    For the moment i'll leave you with this. In 2001, the Israeli government budgeted NIS 2.19 billion for settlers. Roughly 20% of the settlers are religious fundamentalists who believe that God granted them the land and that the Palestinians should be "expelled". That's Government sanctioned hatred. That's also not taking into account the ethnic cleansing of Palestine, the words of an Israeli professor by the way, between 1947 - 1948.

So you have no quote. You have no link to any policy document of any Israeli government that wants the "destruction" as you said of the Palestinians. By the way that is 20% of 300,00 settlers which is 60,000 out of a population of approximately 5 million Jews which is about 1.5 %. Oh for such low levels of fanaticism in other middle east nations.

I'll just quote what I previously posted with regard to the elections.

Hamas won a minority of seats in the last election and they took control of Gaza by force. Repeating that they were democratically elected doesn't change that fact.

I don't have the time or the inclination to get into a protracted debate about something that is only slightly relevant to the thread topic at hand.

That I agree with.

For the record I agree with Ireland's stance on not handing over information to Israel (or any other country) until cast-iron guarantees are received that the information won't be misused.

What? We wanted to integrate the 6 counties into a united Ireland. We did not seek to wipe the inhabitants of NI off the map. What's more I doubt you can provide any comments from any Irish elected politiicans to suggest otherwise.

Ahmadinejad never sought to wipe the Israeli inhabitants off the map either. What's your point?
    The "misrepresentation" of Ahemdinijad's speech is being used as a sop to whitewash Iran and suggest that somehow the whole Iran v Israel is Israel's fault.

Fault is often determined from a subjective view-point, and isn't worth discussing.
    So you have no quote. You have no link to any policy document of any Israeli government that wants the "destruction" as you said of the Palestinians.

Actions speak louder than words. Israel wishes to continue it's illegal occupation of Palestinian territory, and normalise it under Israeli rule. That in itself is destruction of the Palestinian state.
    By the way that is 20% of 300,00 settlers which is 60,000 out of a population of approximately 5 million Jews which is about 1.5 %. Oh for such low levels of fanaticism in other middle east nations.

I suppose that's why 120,000 people marched recently in Israel to object to integration in schools?

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭eamo12

Scofflaw wrote: »

Actually yes. Remember the provos and their cohort of assorted marxist ideologies and death squads. To say that they did not want to wipe the protestant off the map is not matched by their actions. The Iran leader is even more dangerous and only a complete and utter fool would not take him at his unambiguous spoken word.

Regards,

Eamo12

dlofnep wrote: »
    Ahmadinejad never sought to wipe the Israeli inhabitants off the map either. What's your point?
    Fault is often determined from a subjective view-point, and isn't worth discussing.
    Actions speak louder than words. Israel wishes to continue it's illegal occupation of Palestinian territory, and normalise it under Israeli rule. That in itself is destruction of the Palestinian state.
    I suppose that's why 120,000 people marched recently in Israel to object to integration in schools?

We are veering off topic. Find a thread on the above topics and we can discuss.

• Advertisement

We are veering off topic. Find a thread on the above topics and we can discuss.

Fair enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭paulaa

People are talking about the Hamas Charter, what about the Likud charter ?
    This is not a party who is interested in any shape or form in a 2 state solution even though they have repeatedly lied to the media, the US and anyone else that cares to listen that they DO want an independent Palestinaian state.

What country on earth would trust people like these with their citizen's information ?

Some quotes:
    “Settlements. The Jewish communities in Judea, Samaria and Gaza are the realization of Zionist values. Settlement of the land is a clear expression of the unassailable right of the Jewish people to the Land of Israel and constitutes an important asset in the defense of the vital interests of the State of Israel. The Likud will continue to strengthen and develop these communities and will prevent their uprooting . . . .

The government will insist that security areas essential to Israel's defense, including the western security area and the Jewish settlements, shall remain under Israeli rule.’

“Self-Rule. The Government of Israel flatly rejects the establishment of a Palestinian Arab state west of the Jordan river.”
    “The Palestinians can run their lives freely in the framework of self-rule, but not as an independent and sovereign state. Thus, for example, in matters of foreign affairs, security, immigration and ecology, their activity shall be limited in accordance with imperatives of Israel's existence, security and national needs.”

“A unilateral Palestinian declaration of the establishment of a Palestinian state will constitute a fundamental and substantive violation of the agreements with the State of Israel and the scuttling of the Oslo and Wye accords. The government will adopt immediate stringent measures in the event of such a declaration.”

Jerusalem. Jerusalem is the eternal, united capital of the State of Israel and only of Israel. The government will flatly reject Palestinian proposals to divide Jerusalem, including the plan to divide the city presented to the Knesset by the Arab factions and supported by many members of Labor and Meretz. The presence of the Israeli police in eastern Jerusalem will be increased. This in addition to the new police posts and reinforcements in the neighborhoods. The Likud government will act with vigor to continue Jewish habitation and strengthen Israeli sovereignty in the eastern parts of the city. . . .

The Jordan Valley and the territories that dominate it shall be under Israeli sovereignty. The Jordan river will be the permanent eastern border of the State of Israel.

http://www.knesset.gov.il/elections/knesset15/elikud_m.htm

That happened after the election, if you might recall. Its not a democracy now. However as Fatah were in the process of trying to overthrow them, there are two sides to that.
    Eamo12 wrote:
    Actually yes. Remember the provos and their cohort of assorted marxist ideologies and death squads. To say that they did not want to wipe the protestant off the map is not matched by their actions.

Nonsense and way off topic, however I will discuss it at lenght in any thread you want to start up on the subject.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,151 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

slimjimmc wrote: »
    What mistakes are you referring to? :confused:
    or do you mean refusing a foreign state access to our passport process is a mistake.
    Egg on my face :o I had given myself the impression they had in fact gotten a hold of irish passports.

They did use fake passports during the Dubai hit though didnt they :confused:

dlofnep wrote: »
    Unfortunately, everything you have posted above is incorrect.

There is no political opposition 'party' in Gaza.
    Not one. None have been permitted.

Fact.

Overheal wrote: »
    Egg on my face :o I had given myself the impression they had in fact gotten a hold of irish passports.

They did use fake passports during the Dubai hit though didnt they :confused:

No worrries.
    They did indeeed use fake passports, forged from the old design but with real valid passport numbers.

• Advertisement

[QUOTE=Nodin;66861768
    Nonsense and way off topic, however I will discuss it at lenght in any thread you want to start up on the subject.[/QUOTE]

Please correct the quotes as I did not post that. Thanks in advance.

Please correct the quotes as I did not post that. Thanks in advance.

Apologies. The deed has been done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

By any objective measurement wes, the actions of the state of Israel are held to a different standard than practically any other sovereign state.

Israel is under no UN sanctions, and is happily welcomed in the West (favorable EU trade status, and OECD membership etc). When Israel is under sanctions worse than Iran or Iraq (under Saddam), then you will have a point.
    It's not laughable at all to call for some consistency in our foreign policy, or in the general reaction to international events. The passport issue is a case in point. When Israel forged Irish documents there was uproar in this country. There were countless articles, news pieces and editorials commenting on the matter, and even calls to break off diplomatic relations with Israel. Needless to say, boards erupted in a frenzy, and Israel was depicted as not merely duplicitous, but almost as a hostile entity.

Oh please, we expelled a single diplomat. Thats all that was done to Israel. You would think we had them kicked out of the UN or something. Also, murdering someone using a Irish passport, isn't the same as a Russian spy being in possession of one. You see due to the murder, there was more attention on Israel, and in the case of Russia, there was no murder, and hence less attention. There is no anti-Israel conspiracy or anything, just that Israel did something very dumb and got caught red handed.

Secondly, last time I checked, no one goes around claiming Russia is particularly thrust worthy. Oh, and when they killed that dissident (Alexander Litvinenko), plenty of news coverage, and condemnation, but i guess it inconvenient for you. Also, China is criticized all the time, especially in regards to Tibet. Iran did not threaten to destroy Israel, also Iran was condemned all over the news, when it murdered its own dissidents, and is currently under sanctions of its Nuclear program, where as Israel is not.

As for Hamas:

Hamas drops call for destruction of Israel from manifesto

You concocted a nice story, but it simple isn't true, you have chosen to ignore the fact that plenty of other countries are condemned all the time. Iran especially has featured in the news quite a bit lately, and has received plenty of condemnation. China get plenty of condemnation regarding Tibet, plenty of activism in regard to that. Russia was all over the news, when Alexander Litvinenko was murdered, and plenty of condemnation of there actions of Chechnya.

The only double standard is one in favor of Israel. Its fairly simple, they are under 0 sanctions for all the crap they pull, and are still welcome in the West, e.g. billions from the US, protected from sanctions by the US, favorable trade status from the EU, and OECD membership among other things.

Now, to get back on the actual topic. Do you think Israel is trust worthy enough to have our data? You seem to have side stepped this, and instead launched into talking about Russia, China, Iran and a non-existent anti-Israel double standard. Even if such a double standard did exists, it doesn't change anything in regard to whether Israel is trust worthy in regard to our data.

Now, considering Israel use of other nations passports, I would say no, they are not trust worthy, and before you talk on about Iran etc, no Iran, Russia, and other such regimes are not trust worthy either, but I am unaware of any proposed data sharing schemes, so I don't see any reason to go off topic in that regard anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,872 ✭✭✭View

Well, no doubt this can be solved amicably in due course. It should't be too hard for the various diplomats involved to figure out a solution to resolve the issues blocking agreement on the plan.

Advertisement