Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

BSOD - help!

• 17-09-2014 10:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭

Hello guys, hoping someone here can help me.

I have a Toshiba Satellite Pro L450D-11W. Over the last few weeks it has started crashing repeatedly, can be doing anything and it will happen. I've run diagnostics and nothing has solved the issue. I've attempted to get the event logs but it's at a point now where it's crashing in safe mode before I can get a shot of the event reports. I can tell you that it's logged as a Kernel Power critical issue, it's an event ID 41.

Can anyone give me any advice? :( I'm not much of a techy person so I've been struggling to follow tutorials and tips I've googled for on other forums.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭whizbang

Try running with the battery out, also with a different power supply if you can.

Might just need a good cleaning - cpu fan full of fluff will cause overheating.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭DesperateDan

If it was an issue of overheating, you would notice it getting extremely hot, and loud before she dies. Do either of those things happen, even gradually? I always recommend people with bsods to running WhoCrashed, It's a nice piece of software that reads your Windows dump file from blue screens and generally points you in the right direction of what's going wrong, especially if it's a driver issue.

Did you reinstall windows or do anything else drastic recently?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

Thanks to both of you for your replies.

I've dusted the whole thing completely (just in case) It's generally quite a loud laptop, always has been but I make sure it's sat up with the fan exposed so that it doesn't overheat. It could well still be a factor though.

I've run the WhoCrashed software (in safe mode) and I've added a clip of what it says. I've no idea what this driver could relate to! Google seems to bring up a myriad of possibilities.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭whizbang

good to know, you are getting somewhere..

Disable everything you can in the bios, bluetooth, etc. If that has no effect(probably not) then try in windows, to disable everything you can get away with. Goto Device Manager (mmc devmgmt.msc)

Hard to say exactly what you can and can't, most likely suspects are hard disk and video, but i don't think you are allowed to disable them!!

Also try boot from a usb based OS, linux version to test hardware.
    have you run a memtest yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 739 ✭✭✭Timfy

I know that this is a bit of a front line technical support reply but...

This sounds very much like a corrupted system file(s). Do you have the original installation disc? If so I would suggest running the repair option on your system.

No trees were harmed in the posting of this message, however a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭DesperateDan

Seemingly such a non-descript error is likely to be a hardware issue :( First thing I would do is a clean install of Windows. If it happens again, you can be fairly sure it's a bigger problem.

Advertisement