Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

sweetcorn in polytunnel

Options
  • 24-03-2012 11:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭

hi,
    is it too early to start my sweetcorn if i'm growing it in a tunnell.was going to start it in small pots in my house in a propagator.
    all advice appreciated !!!!
    thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Micheal GIY

Yep, you could start growing these now. Read your seed packet to see how best to handle them. Some recommend soaking the seed before planting. You have time as well to get the patch ready where you will be planting them - digging in some manure. Don't forget as well that sweetcorn should be planted in a square rather than in rows as this helps with pollination.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭brno

thanks for the info,will do!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Cardinal Richelieu

I would also make sure you have plenty of irrigation, I dig trenches between the plants in hot weather and flood them. Usually get decent sized cobs then.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭fitzcoff

We tried growing some last year and wouldn't do it again.

The cobs grew to a great size and the stalks were actually hitting off of the top of the tunnel. For the cobs to pollinate correctly they needed seeds/dust needed to drop on top of the cobs. It seemed to us that there wasn't enough wind breeze in the tunnel for this to happen.

The stalks and all around were covered in this black powder/seed and when we opened the cobs the actual corn had not pollinated and was all patchy, ie there wasn't enough corn on the cob.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Cardinal Richelieu

fitzcoff wrote: »

The cobs grew to a great size and the stalks were actually hitting off of the top of the tunnel. For the cobs to pollinate correctly they needed seeds/dust needed to drop on top of the cobs. It seemed to us that there wasn't enough wind breeze in the tunnel for this to happen.

The stalks and all around were covered in this black powder/seed and when we opened the cobs the actual corn had not pollinated and was all patchy, ie there wasn't enough corn on the cob.

I grew mine in the glasshouse for several years, just shake the plant to release the pollen onto the cob hairs. The black powder you describe is called "smut" one of the reasons I don't grow sweetcorn anymore.

http://vegetablemdonline.ppath.cornell.edu/factsheets/Corn_Smut.htm

http://apps.rhs.org.uk/advicesearch/Profile.aspx?pid=734

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Had same issue with the plants hitting the tunnel roof which is about 2.5m above ground!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

fitzcoff wrote: »

I managed to grow some outside, but they didnt get a decent size. (Need a great summer!)
    had better luck with minipop

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Clare man

I have grown them inside and outside, outside last year the size was very small due to poor weather, not worth the effort really, inside decent yiedl but they took up a lot of tunnel space, not planning on growing any this year.

I grew mine in the glasshouse for several years, just shake the plant to release the pollen onto the cob hairs. The black powder you describe is called "smut" one of the reasons I don't grow sweetcorn anymore.

http://vegetablemdonline.ppath.cornell.edu/factsheets/Corn_Smut.htm

http://apps.rhs.org.uk/advicesearch/Profile.aspx?pid=734

Yea our tunnel and the veg around the sweetcorn was covered with the smut. We def won't be growing it again this year, too much space wasted and no rela yield from it.

But this is the joy of growing stuff, the trial and error to find what suits your needs best

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭sirpsycho

I always plant my plants outside but I plant through weed fabric. It helps keep the ground moist and warm.

See pic below. Got a great crop the last couple of years with this method. Hold off planting out for as long as you can also.

• Advertisement

sirpsycho wrote: »
    I always plant my plants outside but I plant through weed fabric. It helps keep the ground moist and warm.

See pic below. Got a great crop the last couple of years with this method. Hold off planting out for as long as you can also.

Is that cabbages that you have growing next to them under the fleece? I'm planning on growing them this year, any tips

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭sirpsycho

Nope, it was brussels and calabrese. We dont do cabbage in my house!

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭muckyhands

I didn' t get great results last year on my allotment. They were planted outside.

Would ideally like to get a tunnel sometime soon. :)

Going to try them again this year.

Advertisement