Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

C compiler help?!?

Options
  • 06-09-2007 5:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭

Hi, I have vista on my laptop and want to install a c-compiler but, I haven't had much luck! I've tried MinGW and DevCPP already but can't get anything to work :rolleyes: which I'm sure is down to my stupidity!

Python was so much easier :p

Anyway, any help would be greatly appreciated,
    Jay

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 583 ✭✭✭monkey tennis

Edit: just saw that you had already installed DevC++..

What exactly doesn't work? Do you get any error messages?

Are you trying to compile from the command line, or through the IDE?

Are you certain DevC++ works with Vista? (haven't tried it myself)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

I've tried command line but it says gcc is not recognised as an internal or external command!

Tried using xemacs too and hitting compile & execute but it kicks up an error too!

Dunno about DevCPP's compatibility with Vista!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭EvilMonkey

I dont think dev c++ is compatible with vista. The last build for dev c++ was in feb/05, and vista is not listed as a supported platform. Install Microsoft Visual C++ Express its free.

EvilMonkey wrote:
    Install Microsoft Visual C++ Express its free.
    Thanks for that, I'm installing it now and, ?I'll post here and let you know how I get on :cool:

I have the MVC++ Express installed and I've opened up a program (first.c) in it but, I can find any way of compiling it...I know this sounds silly :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

EvilMonkey wrote:
    I dont think dev c++ is compatible with vista. The last build for dev c++ was in feb/05, and vista is not listed as a supported platform. Install Microsoft Visual C++ Express its free.
    i've used devC++ on both 64-bit and 32-bit versions of vista ultimate. works fine.

not too fond of MVC++ so don't really use it but to compile look for a option to Build All, microsoft like to sugar coat the names :D

I couldn't get it working at all...but, that's me!

Can't seem to find a Build All option either :confused: I hate this :p

Right I've managed to add Build Selection and Build All to the toolbar but neither are available!

OK I have it working in the Visual Studio command line :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭Tobias Greeshman

jasonorr wrote:
    I've tried command line but it says gcc is not recognised as an internal or external command!
    Sounds to me like your environment hasn't been sourced correctly. You probably don't have gcc in your path, hence why it can't find the compiler binary to run.

I have it compiling now using the Visual Studio command prompt: cl first.c which builds first.exe which I can run...any idea how I can compile it in the MVC++ application?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭EvilMonkey

Go to View Toolbars and add the build menu. Keyboard shortcuts are
    Ctrl + F7 Compile
    F7 Build
    Ctrl + F5 Run
    F5 Debug

• Advertisement
Advertisement