Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

microsoft access

Options
  • 01-09-2007 9:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭

hi,
    i have microsoft access 97 and i was wondering if anyone knows if
    you can turn a mdb into a standalone program without having to use access
    all the time. cheers

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 294 ✭✭XJR

hi,
    i have microsoft access 97 and i was wondering if anyone knows if
    you can turn a mdb into a standalone program without having to use access
    all the time. cheers

If you've got VB you can create a front end to use the database which would acheive the result you want. However you need VB and some programming experience to do this.

Alternatively I'm pretty sure there's a compiler available which would also achieve the result you're looking for - it would basically create a .EXE from the MDB.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,980 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

You don't explain your reasons and Im wondering if it is because you have 97 and everyone else is using 2000/VP/03/07. You can get and Access Runtime edition
    www.google.ie/search?q=access+runtime+download&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&client=firefox-a

Furthermore, does openoffice open mdb files?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ginger

Depends what you want to do with it...

As Kbannon said use Access Runtime but the runtime for 97 is well past end of life as is Access 97.

Access 2000/XP/2003/2007 will open it but will have to upgrade the DB so that you can use it.. but if you are using custom VBA code this may have problems specifically in the menu bars

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭boo-boo

kbannon wrote:
    Furthermore, does openoffice open mdb files?

Open office can read mdb's ok, but you can't change the DB & save it as a mdb in open office AFAIK, I believe it changes it to an OpenDocument database file format.

Also, can '97 access mdb files be saved as mde ? this hides the code (but still exposes the underlying tables ) to users, - or is that just from Access 2000 on ?

Advertisement