Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Minor Hurling Championship 2014

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭pmy.murphy

Rightwing wrote: »
    I'll be disappointed if we don't win this by 6+ points.

Think you underestimating this very talented Kilkenny team based on the Dublin game earlier in the year which has been atoned for long ago

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Disappointed if we don't win by 6? I would be absolutely over the moon if we won by the flukiest of points after extra-time in a replay.....

We didn't beat Waterford in the first game, and Kilkenny are stronger than Waterford this year for sure. Okay, KK had a similar problem putting them away in normal time but still....

Using Waterford as a barometer, the teams are pretty evenly matched really.

I definitely think our lads are good enough to win, but it won't be easy. I backed them at the start of the year, hopefully it comes through!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭slegs

Being very disappointed if we don't win is just a reflection of the fact that this is a very good Limerick team.

Of course its going to be close and Kilkenny could win but why shouldn't Limerick be seen as favourites. I think they have earned the right after the performances during the year.

There seems to be an implication that we don't have that right? I think the Kilkenny posters don't like being underdogs for some reason.

I expect Limerick to win this game and will be disappointed if we lose. But if we do so be it....thats sport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

slegs wrote: »
    Being very disappointed if we don't win is just a reflection of the fact that this is a very good Limerick team.

Of course its going to be close and Kilkenny could win but why shouldn't Limerick be seen as favourites. I think they have earned the right after the performances during the year.

There seems to be an implication that we don't have that right? I think the Kilkenny posters don't like being underdogs for some reason.

I expect Limerick to win this game and will be disappointed if we lose. But if we do so be it....thats sport.

I agree, if things go well, we can this one easy. I agree with someone above though, that you can't write off KK, but if we get a run on them they will be exposed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Favourites, but are ye six point favourites? I would say the bookies 3 is about right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭slegs

Favourites, but are ye six point favourites? I would say the bookies 3 is about right.

Agreed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭savannahkat

I agree, if things go well, we can this one easy. I agree with someone above though, that you can't write off KK, but if we get a run on them they will be exposed.

Bring it on.

Bring it on.

Can't wait. This Limk minor team looks to be the best I've ever seen. A final is their true test however. That's when I'll be able to really judge them.

Can't wait. This Limk minor team looks to be the best I've ever seen. A final is their true test however. That's when I'll be able to really judge them.

Very true and that is why Kilkenny are looking forward to this one. We know this is an exceptional Limerick team, we recognize it as such. It is why we want to beat them and if we do not beat them but see potential for the future that in itself is worth at times even more than the win.Minors are only young lads who can implode on the day for any number of reasons and is usually the most difficult of all grades to predict. We won't begrudge Limerick a win but we will do everything possible to prevent it and we believe we have the players to do just that.

Indeed Limerick deserve to be favourites based on their overall performance especaily the Semi final one and I dont think Kilkenny posters have a problem with being underdogs but its just the fact lots of people are ignorantly dismissing this team as having no hope when this is just as talented a team, a good few of these players I would expect to go on and play Senior at a later stage so yes Limerick are favourites but if they do win they certainly wont have it handy. Both teams are evenly matched but Limerick have shown more form. Im still waiting for this team to cut loose and deliver a big performance. We only did it for spells against Waterford and then switched off. Im under no illusions that we cant afford to do that against Limerick

• Advertisement

Very true and that is why Kilkenny are looking forward to this one. We know this is an exceptional Limerick team, we recognize it as such. It is why we want to beat them and if we do not beat them but see potential for the future that in itself is worth at times even more than the win.Minors are only young lads who can implode on the day for any number of reasons and is usually the most difficult of all grades to predict. We won't begrudge Limerick a win but we will do everything possible to prevent it and we believe we have the players to do just that.

I agree, but I won't be making any excuses on this one. You need a few minor teams coming through in quick succession to make the breakthough at senior level.

I think the current Clare U21 are the finest we've seen at that grade.

Extremely ignorant comment that you think ye can win this one easy and a bit disrespectful to Kilkenny team, u must think were sh*te or something, its the two best teams are left in it. If you look at the Waterford game as a marker then they are both fairly evenly matched. Your forgetting the fact that we could cut loose on the day too which we have yet to do this year for the Full 60 minutes, then we've got a game

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Vanolder

Best of luck to both teams.

Limerick have issues in their full backline and KK have the forwards to expose that. That's my main worry...

Would be a great boost for Limerick hurling if the lads do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Vanolder

Best of luck to both teams.

Limerick have issues in their full backline and KK have the forwards to expose that. That's my main worry...

Would be a great boost for Limerick hurling if the lads do it.

“It is a great way to get to an All-Ireland final because we have beaten all the big teams. We haven’t come the easy route or the backdoor route, we have come right up the middle,” said Ryan. (Limerick Minor Manager)

I take it from that, Kilkenny are not included in one of the big teams. Sunday will tell if we are or not but it is certainly arrogance on behalf of the Limerick manager. I hope it pervades right down through the Limerick team.

Wouldn't take that from it at all tbh... KK are always a big team, and we couldn't have played them before the final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 255 ✭✭Iecrawfc

“It is a great way to get to an All-Ireland final because we have beaten all the big teams. We haven’t come the easy route or the backdoor route, we have come right up the middle,” said Ryan. (Limerick Minor Manager)

I take it from that, Kilkenny are not included in one of the big teams. Sunday will tell if we are or not but it is certainly arrogance on behalf of the Limerick manager. I hope it pervades right down through the Limerick team.

That's really grasping at straws in trying to find disrespect where there is quite clearly none! In all honesty How the f&&k would limerick be arrogant going into a final against Kilkenny? They've won 8 all Ireland's since limericks last, probably have won a few even since our last appearance even! Get over with trying to find disrespect from limerick to Kilkenny, anyone who knows anything about hurling knows it will be very close and, being minors, it's very hard to tell what the occasion will do to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭dcrosskid

Clutching at straws with that. I don't think anyone can say they haven't played the strongest counties this year and obviously he is including KK who they're playing on Sunday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Don't mind that, you couldn't look sideways at that fella.

Ryan is actually particularly gracious. Remember last year when the Limerick County Board went up in arms about that point that had little bearing on the game, he was magnanimous and said they would accept their defeat. Don't think it was any decision of his the lengths of appeal they took.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

You've made a big eejit of yourself there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭dirkmeister

This game is set to be a cracker.

Kilkenny have turned their year around completely from the game against Dublin.

Here's hoping both sets of teams go out and do themselves justice.

PS: up the Cats!

Still tickets available for the AI if anyone interested, on GAA website. They were selling some out in the GG earlier.

Still tickets available for the AI if anyone interested, on GAA website. They were selling some out in the GG earlier.

Their still selling Hoganstand Upper tickets.

pmy.murphy wrote: »
    Their still selling Hoganstand Upper tickets.

You'd wonder will it be a sell out, eh?

You'd wonder will it be a sell out, eh?

I think it will or wont be too far off. A mate of mine informed me that they were selling tickets earlier and I went on to purchase a hill ticket and they were all gone. You would be surprised how fast they are selling out. Im still in the process of trying to get myself a ticket for the Hill, I have a Nally ticket to fall back on though

pmy.murphy wrote: »
    I think it will or wont be too far off. A mate of mine informed me that they were selling tickets earlier and I went on to purchase a hill ticket and they were all gone. You would be surprised how fast they are selling out. Im still in the process of trying to get myself a ticket for the Hill, I have a Nally ticket to fall back on though

Good, enjoy it ( not the minor though ;)).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

Kilkenny Minor Team to play Limerick In All Ireland Final Sunday 7th September

Darren Brennan St Lachtains
    Tommy Walsh Tullaroan
    Conor Delaney Erins Own
    Cathal Mc Grath John Lockes
    Pat Lyng Rower Inistioge
    Jason Cleere Bennettsbridge
    Darragh Joyce (Capt) Rower Inistioge
    Conor Browne James Stephens
    Luke Scanlon James Stephens
    Sean Morrissey Bennettsbridge
    Ross Butler O’Loughlin Gaels
    Ronan Corcoran Ballyhale Shamrocks
    Alan Murphy Glenmore
    Liam Blanchfield Bennettsbridge
    John Walsh Mullinavat

citykat wrote: »
    Kilkenny Minor Team to play Limerick In All Ireland Final Sunday 7th September

Darren Brennan St Lachtains
    Tommy Walsh Tullaroan
    Conor Delaney Erins Own
    Cathal Mc Grath John Lockes
    Pat Lyng Rower Inistioge
    Jason Cleere Bennettsbridge
    Darragh Joyce (Capt) Rower Inistioge
    Conor Browne James Stephens
    Luke Scanlon James Stephens
    Sean Morrissey Bennettsbridge
    Ross Butler O’Loughlin Gaels
    Ronan Corcoran Ballyhale Shamrocks
    Alan Murphy Glenmore
    Liam Blanchfield Bennettsbridge
    John Walsh Mullinavat

Looks like a very strong team.

From what I know of the team, the inside forward line and midfield look very very strong.

Should be a great contest. Haven't heard a Limerick team yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

Fireball07 wrote: »
    Looks like a very strong team.

From what I know of the team, the inside forward line and midfield look very very strong.

Should be a great contest. Haven't heard a Limerick team yet.

IMO the FF line is the strongest! Good goalscoring threat in Blanchfield and Walsh.

• Advertisement

Limerick team named:

1. Eoghan McNamara (Doon)
    2. Sean Finn (Bruff)
    3. Paddy O'Loughlin (Kilmallock)
    4. Lorcan Lyons (Monaleen)
    5. Colin Ryan (Pallasgreen)
    6. Andrew La Touche Cosgrave (Monaleen)
    7. Conor Byrnes (Murroe/Boher)
    8. Robbie Hanley (Kilmallock)
    9. Thomas Grimes (Na Piarsaigh)
    10. Seamus Flanagan (Feohanagh/Castlemahon)
    11. Barry Nash (South Liberties)
    12. Cian Lynch (Captain) (Patrickswell)
    13. Peter Casey (Na Piarsaigh)
    14. Tom Morrissey (Ahane)
    15. Ronan Lynch (Vice Captain) (Na Piarsaigh)

Bench:
    16. Cian Hedderman (Ballybrown)
    17. Edward Doyle (Monaleen)
    18. Conor Fitzgerald (Claughaun)
    19. Jamie Porter (Monaleen)
    20. Darragh Fanning (Pallasgreen)
    21. Barry Murphy (Doon)
    22. Brian Ryan (South Liberties)
    23. Conor Mc Sweeney (South Liberties)
    24. Dylan Dawson (Blackrock)

Strong team for sure. Hard to know how exactly they'll line out... Ronan Lynch might go out as a 3rd midfielder, he was excellent breaking onto ball around the midfield/half-forward line the last day. But obviously Conor Fitzgerald is out of the team and there's no real natural corner-forward among the rest... but they moved around the last day, I expect them to do the same.

Lorcan Lyons stays inside in the corner... all good players in that full-back line, but as a unit they have been exposed in the past.

And Dylan Dawson on the bench. Hard to ignore him after his scoring exploits for Blackrock the last day... although he had been ignored all year despite being in great form.

It's a strong team. Hopefully strong enough to win it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭randd1

I don't see that at all SK, have to say it just seems to me all he's trying to say they have come through some big tests so far this year and past them all, which they have.

Nothing ungracious or arrogant about that all.

randd1 wrote: »
    I don't see that at all SK, have to say it just seems to me all he's trying to say they have come through some big tests so far this year and past them all, which they have.

Nothing ungracious or arrogant about that all.

Ok fair enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

I'm hearing that the thinking of including Grimes is to play him as a sweeper in front of our full back line, in order to cut off the supply of ball to Blanchfield. The management team obviously view him as KK's biggest threat in the forwards. I feel this could be a mistake on our part - the best way to beat any team, especially Kilkenny, is to hurl them man for man. Do we really need to be giving them an extra man somewhere on the park?!

Hanley & Ronan Lynch will definitely start at midfield.

I think that'd be a mistake tbh... obviously the management should know best but is Grimes really the best person for that role? I like him around the middle of the field tbh, he's a very handy player.

I do see Blanchfield as a big threat, not to mention Walsh & Murphy and our full-back line has been exposed, so I can see why they'd want to counteract that. And it probably would be a huge mistake not to do something when we know that it's a big weakness of ours and has been all year versus their strongest line. But could we not just sit our half-back line very deep and just try and stop the runners?

The Kilkenny full forward is by far our best line so I can see the sense in it up to a point. It should however make it easier for our half backs and full back line if we have a spare man around the area. Over all I think it is a mistake if Limerick play a sweeper if they have not being do so up to now, Why change a winning system with a new one on the day of the final. Strange to say the least if they do. If they do and Limerick win it will be praised but that is no guarantee they would not have won anyway and maybe even by more by staying with the normal system. A very strange message to hand out before a final especially to minors.
    I hope we win tomorrow. I believe we are good enough but if Limerick win there will be no begrudgery, by all accounts this Limerick team are a class act.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭Dan Chipowski

Limerick playing into Kilkenny's hands so far with their ridiculous tactics.

We've not really got going so far... Cian Lynch is having a super game and ALTC is doing well but none of the others doing as well as they can do. Colin Ryan very quiet, Peter Casey & Ronan Lynch similar.

At times we look very dangerous, but the KK inside line is doing damage, John Walsh in particular is hurting us.

The game will be won by whoever wins the majority of the breaking ball, and KK are just on top in that area at the moment.

The chance at the end where Morrissey was fouled would have been one of the scores of the season, absolutely class move, and the ref really should have played advantage, he bounced the tackle and was in on goal.

Seamus Flanagan possibly lucky to escape with just a yellow early on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Benny Cake

What the f*ck are this limerick management at?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

They can play football in Kilkenny as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,576 ✭✭✭bennyl10

Full credit to Kilkenny,.took the goal chances when they came their way.. Limerick agonisingly close but thems the breaks.. Can never write off any KK team really can you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

Lack of goals seems to haunt all our teams. Can't let Kilkenny go 6 up. Game over then

That's very disappointing.

You'd have to be looking at the tactics really... Kilkenny played very very deep defensively, to minimise goal chances and weren't afraid to be cynical around 21m.

Limerick left their men too isolated inside, John Walsh was unmarkable too.

Also long puckouts every time, with a deep Kilkenny half-forward line, surely we should have done a few short?

And then little things like struggling to get the ball into hand, KK played very high pressure stuff.

Fair play to them. Our lads are a serious bunch, disappointing not to win, but they've done us proud over the past 2 years and many of them will go on to be crucial senior players.

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭Formosa

You'd have to be looking at the tactics really... Kilkenny played very very deep defensively, to minimise goal chances and weren't afraid to be cynical around 21m.

Also long puckouts every time, with a deep Kilkenny half-forward line, surely we should have done a few short?

And then little things like struggling to get the ball into hand, KK played very high pressure stuff.

Fair play to them. Our lads are a serious bunch, disappointing not to win, but they've done us proud over the past 2 years and many of them will go on to be crucial senior players.

leaving the same player on Walsh for the whole match was unforgivable. He had 5 pts by half time!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,032 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

I think they should have gone for more goals in the first half. A few times limerick men went straight through the middle but took their points when goals were on.

We looked much the better team at times, but were only in 3rd gear. Couldn't get going. The first touch was off, and never really managed to open a gap. The miss before HT was crucial. KK dug in and credit to them.

Formosa wrote: »
    leaving the same player on Walsh for the whole match was unforgivable. He had 5 pts by half time!!

They took Lyons off at half-time and put Finn on him. Finn is probably our best man-marker, but if you give any forward that much space, he'll run riot, especially in the form he was in.

niallo27 wrote: »
    I think they should have gone for more goals in the first half. A few times limerick men went straight through the middle but took their points when goals were on.

Possibly... but KK always seemed to cut off the option very well. They were smart in their defensive tactics. We had one clear goal chance when Fitzgerald hit wide, it's a real pity it didn't fall to Nash or Lynch, proven goalscorers.

And then when Morrissey was through, can't believe the ref didn't play advantage. But I suppose at that stage, we were happy to take our points and sometimes you do have to be clinical... KK were.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Spudmonkey

I've never seen that teams first touch as bad as it was today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

You'd have to question a system where a team can get beaten in the first round yet go on to win it out.

Yet, other teams beaten in the first round didn't get a second game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 981 ✭✭✭amber69

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    You'd have to question a system where a team can get beaten in the first round yet go on to win it out.

Yet, other teams beaten in the first round didn't get a second game.

I'm fairly sure that's not true. Waterford won last year after been beaten twice. Waterford won the collages last year and then went on to win the all Ireland. Kilkenny had both teams in the final this year, might be the best teams won both years but were hampered in they're preparation earlier in the year.

Well done to Kilkenny, we knew they were good before the game and just wondered how good. Now we know because that was a brilliant Limerick team. Tactically Kilkenny got it right assisted by a little luck once or twice. Limerick in my mind over done the fancy passing and fancy movement when a more direct approach may have earned them a bigger reward. Limerick and Kilkenny may very well pull quite a few seniors down the road from both teams. Impressed by both teams.

• Advertisement
Advertisement