Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CSS: Important/Common CSS Hacks

Options
  • 30-04-2014 9:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭

In my quest to become a better front-end developer, I'm trying to put together a reference guide of the CSS fixes/hacks/bugs every front-end developer should know. Ideally:

- name of the hack
    - css (and HTML if applicable) code of the hack
    - description of the bug/issue it fixes
    - description of why the hack works

I already know the clearfix one. What others would you recommend you add to this list.

(does such a reference already exist somewhere)

Comments

Hi,

It might be better to look up best practises rather than hacks.

Some good references are:
    developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/Guide/CSS
    taitems.github.io/Front-End-Development-Guidelines/#cssSection

For fixing IE css issues, the following technique is useful: isobar-idev.github.io/code-standards/#_internet_explorer_bugs

Best of luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭Fenster

UA sniffing is iffy these days because every browser wants to be Gecko, and $(window).width() on page load doesn't necessarily tell me the actual screen size, so:
    @media only screen and (max-device-width: 480px) {
        .smartphone-test{ display: none; }
    }

var isSmartphone = ($('.smartphone-test').css('display') === 'none') ? true : false;

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭ThrowinShapes

Technically floats are a hack for layout.

One I've found useful is making -moz-appearance: none; actually work. I've only tested this on <select> elements:

select {
    -moz-appearance: none;
    /* These two rules trigger the correct behaviour */
    text-overflow: ' ';
    text-indent: 0.01px;
    }

Advertisement