Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend a free multiple-file image uploader alternative to Aurigma Image Upload?

Options
  • 22-04-2014 12:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,630 ✭✭✭✭

My copy of Aurigma Image Uploader is no longer functioning on my site thanks to the latest Java update, so they're asking me to cough up another $270 to upgrade to the latest version that has a fix (which is ridiculous considering I spent $160 on the earlier version nary 2 years ago!).

So I'm on the lookout for an open source alternative.

The site is ASP.NET but a Java-based uploader will work fine.

Main criteria I'd like is:

- Must compress/resize images PRIOR to upload
    - Great if it works on tablets (although not absolute requirement)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭John_Mc

I've used BlueImp jQuery File Upload with success. I know it resizes images for thumbnail previews. You would usually have the backend do the image resizing before storing to disk/database.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,630 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

One of the benefits of the Java-based uploader is that it resizes the images prior to upload which is advantageous for those on slow connections (seeing as my site is a travel blog site, most of my users are on crippling connections in the back o' beyond).

Thanks for the suggestion though.

hmm interesting... HTML5 and Canvas can apparently do this as well

https://github.com/gokercebeci/canvasResize

mrcheez wrote: »
    One of the benefits of the Java-based uploader is that it resizes the images prior to upload which is advantageous for those on slow connections (seeing as my site is a travel blog site, most of my users are on crippling connections in the back o' beyond).

Thanks for the suggestion though.

The fact that it does it already for thumbnail preview images means that it can probably be done for the file to be uploaded. It uses HTML 5 and canvas, and falls back on other techniques if the browser doesn't support them.

I'd steer clear of Java based solutions by the way - it's just another requirement for users to be able to use your website.

cool I'll check it out

• Advertisement

You can do the resize before upload. Check it out

Advertisement