Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are hurls massive these days?

Options
  • 17-08-2014 2:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭The Letheram

Yes, without doubt. I took down an old hurley I played with as a minor roughly 16-17 years ago and compared it to one I am playing with currently. The one now is almost twice as large. My striking is better with the larger hurley, pity I cant run like I did as a minor though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

More surface area, but generally lighter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭purplepanda

Is there a size limit still? I thought the Hurl had to be maximum of 6" across the Bas? For an outfield player

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

There's no difference between a goalies and an outfielders hurley, maximum size is 13cm (approx 6") at the widest point.

In regards to the size of them, generally they are a whole lot shorter now, I remember when your hurler came up to your hip bone, now it should be just resting on the ground when you hold it, the bas is a lot bigger now though than before, I put it down to the change in style of hurling, in the past ground hurling was a lot more important so you wanted a longer, thinner hurley to pull on the ball, now with more possession and striking from the hand/soloing length isn't important, you don't hear "shorten your grip" that much anymore :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭purplepanda

Watching the Shinty games on BBC Alba, some great striking of the ball on the ground by those lads.

In the old pictures of Hurlers & teams from 100 years ago the sticks are closer in style to Shinty sticks than to modern Hurls. A friend of mine has his old Kilkenny Dad's Hurl from the '40's, totally different to modern versions.

Hurling has changed a lot even since the '60's just watch the AIF's on youtube & you'll notice this. Suppose that's the same as most field sports during that time.

• Advertisement
Advertisement