Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Big Nerd Ranch Objective C book - still up to date?

Options
  • 28-04-2014 8:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭

Hi, I'm thinking of getting the Big Nerd Ranch book on Objective C

Anyone know if it's still up to date in terms of the iOS and Xcode versions that have been released since it came out - would there be much of a difference between then and now?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

I think the Cocoa one came out aroun 10.7 time and there's been a few language additions, frameworks and some XCode changes since then.

They offer a good, if basic foundation I guess. It depends on how good you are at filling in the blanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭parc

I'm almost a complete beginner and would be starting with their Objective C book

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

This one? https://www.bignerdranch.com/book/objective-c_programming_the_big_nerd_ranch_guide

There's been a few new language additions but nothing major, just ways of making the language a bit less verbose when it comes to initialising and using data structures (Like NSArray, NSSet, NSDictionary, etc) and new ways of organising source files.

It's nothing you couldn't pick up after you'd got a grounding in the language.

Advertisement