Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Danish Oil

Options
  • 29-09-2010 9:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 45

Recently I bought some second hand chairs - all in very good order, but the varnish finish was aged so I worked my way down through several grades of sandpaper and got down to the stained wood. I've never used Danish oil before but decided to give it a go and I'm delighted with the finish after the first coat - I plan on putting another coat on, but could anyone tell me if I will need to reapply in the future, or will the beeswax polish I usually use on furniture be enough to keep it looking good?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭D.Craftsman

Hi Hopwitch, I would not be sure but I do not think I have ever heard or seen beeswax used over the oil.I would think it is a mixture of finish, oil and wax.Danish oil would usually be used as the final finish with a lot of coats to provide the finish.It is recommended to refinish with oil after a few years but I don't think many people do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 hopwitch

Hi - thanks for that info - and I agree ... my intentions would be good regarding refinishing in a couple of years, but I'll bet it won't happen!

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭D.Craftsman

No problem but do it now.The old school used to say"put on two more than you feel is enough"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

beeswax will work fine over the oil , store the cloths you use to apply the oil in a jar to stop them drying out or else burn them as they have been known to self ignite when drying

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 hopwitch

thanks - I'm really pleased with the result so far.... next task is reupholstering the seats; these are sprung, so I'll be learning a few new techniques here as well.

• Advertisement
Advertisement