Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Simple-To-Use One Remote Control System for Oldies

Options
  • 21-03-2015 7:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭

Hello Home Entertainment Techies!

I'm hoping you can help me with a bit of your expert advice. My parents (beloved Oldies of the thread title) have an excessively complicated TV set-up that doesn't, with all its complexity, do what they want it to do. I'm hoping to help them simplify and improve their system but I'm a bit out of touch with the currently available systems ... hence the plea for your help.

They have:
    • A TV (32" flat screen, wall-mounted)
    • A DVD/VHS/HDD player
    • Apple TV (mostly for Netflix)
    • Terrestrial digital aerial (for Saorview I think)
    • Satellite (for Freeview I think)
    • A gaggle of remote controls for controlling all of the above

They want to be able to :
    • Watch TV (from the Saorview/Freeview channels)
    • View a TV guide (EPG)
    • Record TV and play their recordings
    • Watch Netflix
    • Play DVDs (they're ready to say goodbye to their VHS)
    • Control everything with one remote control if possible

Is there such thing as a single set-top box that will provide the functionality they want?

If not, what is the simplest system available that will provide the required functionality?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

I use a Logitech harmony smart control. Works via wifi and a phone or tablet app.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭coolaboola

Idleater wrote: »
    I use a Logitech harmony smart control. Works via wifi and a phone or tablet app.
    Is thata remote control? Any ideas for the system itself... Really struggling to find a simple out-of-the-box solution that meets my functional specifications.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,347 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

coolaboola wrote: »
    Is thata remote control? Any ideas for the system itself... Really struggling to find a simple out-of-the-box solution that meets my functional specifications.

A Logitech Harmony will do what you're looking for. Yes, it is a remote control but a pretty expensive one. There is a relatively complicated setup procedure which obviously you will have to do but after that it's a piece of cake. You define 'activities' like 'Watch a DVD' and when you select that option off the touchscreen, it will switch devices off and on as appropriate, exactly what you need.

The only thing that may be a stumbling block is that on certain TVs the source input selection (HDMI1/HDMI2/HDMI3 etc.) is done off a scrollable menu rather than by a direct command and it can be difficult to get the Logitech gadget to handle this part of the operation though in most cases, simply switching on a DVD player will cause the TV to automatically switch over to that source so it may not be necessary to include source switching as part of the operation.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭coolaboola

Hi coylemj,

Thanks for your response. So we'd be looking at using their existing hardware and using the remote control to bring them all together and get each of the components to talk to each other?

At the moment for instance, under their current set-up, they cannot record anything - the DVD player/Video player/HDD is a stand-alone device that they control with its own separate remote control. Also not sure how the Logitech will provide a single EPG... Hmm. I'll have a look at it again and see if I can figure out how it can meet the functional specification...

I'll have a look at it again and see if I can figure out how it can meet the functional specification...

It won't, what it does do is through one device allow you to holistically control several devices under something called an activity.

In my case, one activity is called watch tv, when I turn it on, it ensures the tv is on (it assumes a state) changes to hdmi 2, turns on the upc box.
    volume +- goes to the tv, channel+- goes to the stb.

Another activity is watch a movie, which changes to hdmi 1, and turns on the PlayStation. Volume again goes to the tv, play pause etc goes to the ps3.

listen to iTunes turns on my amp, switches to analog 5. Now I manually have my MacBook powered up, run iTunes and select play on airport express. Volume-+ goes to the amplifier.

Contrary to Coylemj, most electronic devices have discreet input selection including power on and off.

• Advertisement

Contrary to Coylemj, most electronic devices have discreet input selection including power on and off.

I was talking about the TV source selection, most TV remotes have a 'Source' button which throws up a menu with the sources listed rather than a separate button for each source.

Thanks for your response. So we'd be looking at using their existing hardware and using the remote control to bring them all together and get each of the components to talk to each other?

No, they don't 'talk to each other' at all. It's as described by Idleater above, each activity involves the Logitech device switching units on or off and sending appropriate commands to them.

The setup procedure involves connecting the Logitech device to a PC and programming all of the activities. You first of all tell it what devices you have so you pick your TV, DVD player etc. from a menu of common makes and models and then for each activity you tell it which devices are involved.

coylemj wrote: »
    I was talking about the TV source selection, most TV remotes have a 'Source' button which throws up a menu with the sources listed rather than a separate button for each source.

The current harmony software accesses the inputs directly

The current harmony software accesses the inputs directly

What version are you using? I have 7.7.0 which hasn't changed in a long time.

I can't see how Logitech s/w can do something that you can't do with the TV remote i.e. jump direct from one source to another???

coylemj wrote: »
    What version are you using? I have 7.7.0 which hasn't changed in a long time.

I can't see how Logitech s/w can do something that you can't do with the TV remote i.e. jump direct from one source to another???

I have what is called Logitech smart hub I think, http://myharmony.com/products/detail/smart-control/

The sw does what the devices can do, the problem with the remote that comes with the device is that they don't have space for individual buttons so they merge them into a selector.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭readytosnap

I bought a remote control from lidl for 7.99 it controls my Sony amp, Humax freesat, Sony TV, Saorview box ( little thing i bought in dunnes last year, I dont really watch RTE but I have a portable hd connected to it for watching vids) also can control apple tv, it is simple enough to use lights up so you can see waht you are doing and it can learn any remote ( if it is not already preprogrammed into it, most are) 2 rechargeable AA's and bobs your uncle, you can't get much cheaper than that.
    The remote is a silvercrest (SFB 10.1 C3). it has controls for TV, VCR, DVD, CD, BD, satbox, cable, amp and 2 aux, easy to set up and use. is layed out like most remotes also, tis a schteal i tells ya.

Advertisement