Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Philips stereo unusual power cable replacement

Options
  • 07-03-2015 9:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭

I have a philips stereo which I loaned to a relative. They subsequently lost the power cable. I thought it would be straight forward to replace but it appears not. The model number is MCB204/05. It has a circular connection and the external supply is DC13V 1.4A. Don't know if that's any help? Would anyone know where I would get a replacement?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭akaSol

Bear83 wrote: »
    I have a philips stereo which I loaned to a relative. They subsequently lost the power cable. I thought it would be straight forward to replace but it appears not. The model number is MCB204/05. It has a circular connection and the external supply is DC13V 1.4A. Don't know if that's any help? Would anyone know where I would get a replacement?
    Thanks

Its a custom power supply unfortunately ( 13V 1.4A ) you will need to look to Philips online or a certified dealer as universal's wont cover it

>Sol

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Bear83

akaSol wrote: »
    Its a custom power supply unfortunately ( 13V 1.4A ) you will need to look to Philips online or a certified dealer as universal's wont cover it

>Sol
    I presume it might just be simpler to buy a new stereo system. Any idea of what that cable might cost? I have a 12v cable from an external harddrive that will actually power it but a friend told me that wouldn't be good for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭akaSol

Bear83 wrote: »
    I presume it might just be simpler to buy a new stereo system. Any idea of what that cable might cost? I have a 12v cable from an external harddrive that will actually power it but a friend told me that wouldn't be good for it.

It will probably damage the mini stereo or worse the HDD power supply. If the replacement is less than €25 its money well spent. More than 1/3 ( €35 ) of a new unit then yes time to replace

>Sol

It will probably damage the mini stereo or worse the HDD power supply. If the replacement is less than €25 its money well spent. More than 1/3 ( €35 ) of a new unit then yes time to replace

>Sol
    Thanks alot for all the info. I only turned it on briefly with the harddrive cable to see would it work so there should be no longterm damage hopefully.
    That was my exact thinking on the price. If over €25, I'll just buy a new one and I'll ensure it has a more common power supply connection this time.
    I've emailed philips earlier this evening. I will let you know what happens

>Sol
    Thanks alot for all the info. I only turned it on briefly with the harddrive cable to see would it work so there should be no longterm damage hopefully.
    That was my exact thinking on the price. If over €25, I'll just buy a new one and I'll ensure it has a more common power supply connection this time.
    I've emailed philips earlier this evening. I will let you know what happens

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,355 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Look at the output current number (in amps) on the HDD power pack (the transformer brick), mine says 2A so if yours is similar (1.4A or higher), you're laughing. What the number means is the maximum current the transformer will deliver, it doesn't means it's going to pump 2A into your 1.4A system and fry it. As long as the voltages are similar and the power pack can deliver up to the required current, you're good to go.

coylemj wrote: »
    Look at the output current number (in amps) on the HDD power pack (the transformer brick), mine says 2A so if yours is similar (1.4A or higher), you're laughing. What the number means is the maximum current the transformer will deliver, it doesn't means it's going to pump 2A into your 1.4A system and fry it. As long as the voltages are similar and the power pack can deliver up to the required current, you're good to go.

Thanks for the info. I have to be honest and say I don't understand much of what you said but my uncle is an electrician and I'll tell him. I'm sure he'll know.

Advertisement