Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

some boardsies

• 24-02-2013 7:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 561 ✭✭✭

Some boards.ie user's can be so insensitive!
    Like I made a grammar mistake in the business section, I've dyslexia albeit a slight form,
    such as sometimes I don't paragraph or get on words mixed up or some such mistake.
    It is not just that though, this is a good while back now, but I put up a thread that apparently didn't make sense to other boards.ie users and I get a tirade of smartness and abuse.
    There is many other things I've noticed also.
    I know this is after hours, but on ah you can get a decent response,
    however have any of ye got opinions on this?
    Not just my situation, but even yourself's, ever come across a hostile user etc?????

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

I know afterhours is supposed to be taken with a pinch of salt but sometimes you have to wonder about certain people.

The Reaction here after the suicide of Shane McEntee The FG TD made me a bit sick to be honest. Just because you are typing it rather than saying it doesnt make it less worse.

It doesnt bother me but I know it does bother some people especially younger people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

AH isn't a place to look for sensitive souls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

Pushtrak wrote: »

nope just Rsoles usually...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭HondaSami

I think most of us are guilty of posting the odd smart arse comment at some point. We all have good and bad days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

Don't take anything on the internet seriously and you should be fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,255 ✭✭✭batistuta9

why does everyone make after hours out to be this big bad place

"this is a new low even for after hours", etc. crap like the that

or as someone posted this posted a minute ago AH isn't a place to look for sensitive souls.

you can say fúck all in this forum either from what i've seen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

AH was great a few years ago. A lot of really good posters have moved on. It's packed full of moral high ground grabbing, PC brigade snitches who would sell you out to the Mod's in the blink of an emoticon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,103 ✭✭✭amacca

batistuta9 wrote: »

or as someone posted this posted a minute ago AH isn't a place to look for sensitive souls.

quiet you :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

In AH that's to be expected.
    Honestly, don't worry about not being 100% right.

If it happens a lot you can report it I think.
    Actually:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=63152137&postcount=20

You can report it. At least in AH.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 561 ✭✭✭iguy

Pushtrak wrote: »

I've found a lot actually to be sensitive souls on ah.
    I'm not actually complaining about ah as I've often gave smart answers on ah,
    Its other forums on boards.ie.
    Like for example on the accommodation and property I got the year of some act wrong and I was called stupid by another user, and to get things right before I post.
    That could hurt people, like I've bipolar and it did go around my head that I was stupid,
    I didn't even post on boards for a long time after that.

• Advertisement

amacca wrote: »
    quiet you :D

now someone will no doubt jump in & defend my right to free speech and it'll turn into some all encompassing twatfest refuting the credibility of each others sources

AH was great a few years ago. A lot of really good posters have moved on. It's packed full of moral high ground grabbing, PC brigade snitches who would sell you out to the Mod's in the blink of an emoticon.

Yes this sums it up perfectly, no fun anymore, laughter is frowned upon, it's all doom and gloom.
    I think we should have a happy hour on friday/sat night where we can go mad and let our hair down like the old days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,256 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

If you can't get basic grammar right your in the wrong place!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

A grammar or spelling mistake :eek:

Don't you know that that worse than eating babies around here :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭Culleeo

It's the same as people in real life, you have some nice people and some cunts.

iguy wrote: »
    That could hurt people, like I've bipolar and it did go around my head that I was stupid,
    I didn't even post on boards for a long time after that.

You have to remember that no one knows anything about you or other posters, posters post without knowing what other people are suffering from, it's the internet.
    Try remember they are not talking to you or about you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

They're not looking for "sensitive souls". Obviously the OP is not talking simply about smart-arse comments or light-hearted piss-taking. It's really easy to tell when someone is acting the dick (as per the main Boards rule) - can't understand why people would defend that (unless they're also fans of acting the dick of course).

MrStuffins wrote: »
    If you can't get basic grammar right your in the wrong place!

What the heck do you mean by that?
    Nobody is perfect.
    'basic grammar'
    Maybe your messing but if not then your what I believe is called on boards is a 'grammar nazi'.

bluewolf wrote: »
    Well if it doesn't make sense, what do you expect? We're not psychic

It made sense to him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭Culleeo

What the heck do you mean by that?
    Nobody is perfect.
    'basic grammar'
    Maybe your messing but if not then your what I believe is called on boards is a 'grammar nazi'.

I'd say he is taking the piss as he typed "your" instead of "you're".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,438 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Post reported.

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

it's all a matter of interpretation the 'sensitive,thin skinned soul' that some might see is to others someone who's an assertive individual that's 'got the ball's to say I don't like the way you've treated me' when other's wouldn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭ashers22

circle jerk
    1.) When a group of males sit in a circle, jerking each other off.

2.) *NOT* when a group of males stand in a circle to jerk off onto a cookie or anything of the sort. That retarded frat game is called "Limp Biscuit"... which kind of indirectly explains why the band of the same namesake is so ****ing horrible.

3.) When a bunch of blowhards - usually politicians - get together for a debate but usually end up agreeing with each other's viewpoints to the point of redundancy, stroking each other's egos as if they were extensions of their genitals (ergo, the mastubatory insinuation). Basically, it's what happens when the choir preaches to itself.

Madam_X wrote: »
    They're not looking for "sensitive souls". Obviously the OP is not talking simply about smart-arse comments or light-hearted piss-taking. It's really easy to tell when someone is acting the dick (as per the main Boards rule) - can't understand why people would defend that (unless they're also fans of acting the dick of course).

who's defending it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

who's defending it?
    Well downplaying it. "Huh? What are you talking about? It's only a bit of messing, don't be sensitive" as opposed to... the people in question not acting like dicks. Having a go at someone's writing when all they're doing is writing a post, asking a question, and when they might be dyslexic... is not fair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭padma

Well if it doesn't make sense, what do you expect? We're not psychic

Bluewolf, Im shocked at such a callous response to iguy, who is having some difficulty with boards users, and you are a mod of Personal issues too. Give the guy some respect. It is clear that on Boards.ie there are folk here who search through nearly every thread looking for ways to put people down. Who use their keyboard skills to try and make people feel small or are genuinely looking for argument rather than discussion.

That is one of the sad facts of communicating via websites. I am happy that in the real world most people are nice and listen and in one to one communication have the social skills to adapt to peoples feelings. Yet on the Internet some of these people may need to genuinely look within themselves and self assess what they are doing online and maybe choose to be more real in their everyday communication skills here.

It's a forum, not a blog

What do you mean? Is he not allowed start a thread on boards?

Is this a new rule we don't know about?

Yes, that's exactly what I said. Right there, "IT'S A RULE"

What's with the aggression ? someone piss in your cornflakes this am?

The thread made sense to him,can't you get that?

you did not explain your ''it's a forum not a blog '' comment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭padma

For what? Posting something that didn't make sense and having that pointed out? Should we all just ignore him instead and then he'll wonder why?

What Iguy is getting to is maybe, how, people responded to his thread, attacking him, making him feel inadequate, and even your response is quickhand, and leaves a tone of not caring or bothering to enquire.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

padma wrote: »
    Yet on the Internet some of these people may need to genuinely look within themselves and self assess what they are doing online and maybe choose to be more real in their everyday communication skills here.

Eh why?

I'm not here to tip toe around people who are sensitive in some way. Equally I am not here to intentionally bust someones balls.

If you don't like a post just ignore it. If it breaks the charter, report it.

HondaSami wrote: »
    You have to remember that no one knows anything about you or other posters, posters post without knowing what other people are suffering from, it's the internet.
    Try remember they are not talking to you or about you.

I understand that and like I said I don't mind after hours,
    Its the other forums on boards, make a simple mistake,etc and people jump down your neck,etc.
    They could take time to think, like myself and its not all boardsies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

padma wrote: »
    Bluewolf, Im shocked at such a callous response to iguy, who is having some difficulty with boards users, and you are a mod of Personal issues too.
    This isn't Personal Issues though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

Christ almighty, it's an internet discussion site, not a creche.

Jimoslimos wrote: »
    This isn't Personal Issues though.

True but is it ok to be flippant with someone in AH but not in for eg personal issues?
    If this thread was posted in personal issues would the poster have posted the same comment?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭ashers22

Some people can be as$holes op, not everyone, just some.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,646 ✭✭✭✭Sauve

HondaSami wrote: »

True but is it ok to be flippant with someone in AH but not in for eg personal issues?
    If this thread was posted in personal issues would the poster have posted the same comment?

Yes.

No.

Different forums, different purposes/etiquette. That's why they're different.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Like I made a grammar mistake in the business section, I've dyslexia albeit a slight form,
    That's no excuse! I was dyslexic before I came in here too but I haven't misused "Their", "they're" or "there" in over 4 years now.

It's much better than school, the only difference is you leave school with a diploma you leave After Hours with scars.

I think I've mixed people up, I don't care about after hours, like I said I've bipolar, if I'm having a bad day, I won't come near ah in case I get a reply that my upset or offend me.
    however the other forums on boards is a different story and its not just me, I've seen may OTHER USERS get shot down and made little of also.
    Dyslexia is part of life so I don't give two monkeys about what way people take up my grammar, put it like this I've come a long way and 10 years ago people would barely understand what I wrote myself included!!!
    grammar nazi's......:/

ScumLord wrote: »
    That's no excuse! I was dyslexic before I came in here too but I haven't misused "Their", "they're" or "there" in over 4 years now.

It's much better than school, the only difference is you leave school with a diploma you leave After Hours with scars.

Fairplay to you, it may have helped you,
    but as per THE CHARTER grammar nazi's are not allowed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭RaRaRasputin

I think I've mixed people up, I don't care about after hours, like I said I've bipolar, if I'm having a bad day, I won't come near ah in case I get a reply that my upset or offend me.
    however the other forums on boards is a different story and its not just me, I've seen may OTHER USERS get shot down and made little of also.
    Dyslexia is part of life so I don't give two monkeys about what way people take up my grammar, put it like this I've come a long way and 10 years ago people would barely understand what I wrote myself included!!!
    grammar nazi's......:/

Sorry, but if you know you are having a bad day and decide to avoid AH why don't you avoid other forums as well? No one can know if/ when you are having "a bad day", but you know when it might be wise to avoid an online forum where people might be potentially mean to you.

Also, if someone posts a post that others genuinely cannot comprehend I don't see why they should be left to silently ponder on the meaning of the divine puzzle that seemingly descended heaven. While I agree that there is no need to be rude, this "rudeness" is also subjective to every one and you seem to realise yourself that there are times when you are more inclined to take things personally.

A third point to your mild dyslexia: a friend of mine has dyslexia too (diagnosed) and gets annoyed when people tease/mock/attack her for a spelling mistake. However, she spell checks her posts, emails etc to minimise the amount of errors because she wants to get her texts right herself. I can always understand her messages because there are spelling mistakes but those that are quite typical of dyslexics and I never saw anyone reacting negatively to her, so maybe consider her approach.

• Advertisement

Sorry, but if you know you are having a bad day and decide to avoid AH why don't you avoid other forums as well? No one can know if/ when you are having "a bad day", but you know when it might be wise to avoid an online forum where people might be potentially mean to you.

I know that, what I mean is that other users can be downright mean, and don't seem to put much thought into their posts if posters make a genuine mistake,
    like I said earlier and not connected to my dyslexia,
    also like I said it happens to other users also.
    I obviously avoid ah on a bad day because most of the time I could receive a reply that could upset me on a bad day, I've actually never been upset about other forums on boards, just shocked at the rudeness,etc.

Also, if someone posts a post that others genuinely cannot comprehend I don't see why they should be left to silently ponder on the meaning of the divine puzzle that seemingly descended heaven. While I agree that there is no need to be rude, this "rudeness" is also subjective to every one and you seem to realise yourself that there
    are times when you are more inclined to take things personally.

Again I understand, and may I just say its not because I've dyslexia or bipolar why I started this thread, its because the rudeness I've seen other posters and myself put up with!
    I can post very clearly, maybe at times it might not be 'fully comprehensive'.

A third point to your mild dyslexia: a friend of mine has dyslexia too (diagnosed) and gets annoyed when people tease/mock/attack her for a spelling mistake. However, she spell checks her posts, emails etc to minimise the amount of errors because she wants to get her texts right herself. I can always understand her messages because there are spelling mistakes but those that are quite typical of dyslexics and I never saw anyone reacting negatively to her, so maybe consider her approach.

I use my phone so cannot spellcheck, and I don't mean to sound smart be I don't get annoyed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8 Streng Verboten

I see it as a challenge to break people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,742 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Every discussion on AH and in Boards in general the last year seems to find its way back to the public vs private sector debate, where you are sure to find some very bitter and angry people jumping on the tiniest point just as an excuse to rage that said poster is in a cushy number with a pension for life, increments etc whilst they have to beg for food, followed by a lengthy debate (with links) on how the public sector has taken its fair share of cuts and the private sector need to just suck it up.....its gone depressingly predictable.

That, and of course some people are just cnuts. Ooh look I spelt that wrong...

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭danslevent

I know, people are mean and hostile here! Then at the beers it's all politeness! Screw you all!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8 Streng Verboten

danslevent wrote: »
    I know, people are mean and hostile here! Then at the beers it's all politeness! Screw you all!

Who are nice boardsies at the beers?

People are meaner on the Internet, that's just the way things are, accept it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

You can get alot of assholes on boards alright.

You have to figure the anonymity that a message board provides allows an avenue for people to be dicks. I refuse to believe that the vast majority of people would 'act the same' in the real world.

But even apart from that you can get alot of people who just want to shit-stir on here or get under your skin "for a laugh".

Just dont take boards seriously i guess :) You'll just wind yourself up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

If you're an adult and offended by anonymous posts you read on the internet you need to evaluate your life really.

I see it as a challenge to break people.

What do you mean?

token101 wrote: »
    If you're an adult and offended by anonymous posts you read on the internet you need to evaluate your life really.

cyber-bullying, that's what I would call it,
    Its still real people at the end of the day,
    like I'll use myself as an example,
    what if I posted in the nocturnal forum on boards and whatever I posted didn't make sense and some other user got angry and said to me 'oh I don't understand that explain more etc' in what I would call aggressive text.
    I've had suicidal thoughts in the past, like I said previously I have bipolar along with other medical problems, but imagine.
    You hear about it all the time,
    I'm not trying to say boo-hoo poor me,
    be nice I'll commit suicide.
    I hope people understand where I'm coming from as I find it hard to explain things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭ITS_A_BADGER

cyber-bullying, that's what I would call it,
    Its still real people at the end of the day,
    like I'll use myself as an example,
    what if I posted in the nocturnal forum on boards and whatever I posted didn't make sense and some other user got angry and said to me 'oh I don't understand that explain more etc' in what I would call aggressive text.
    I've had suicidal thoughts in the past, like I said previously I have bipolar along with other medical problems, but imagine.
    You hear about it all the time,
    I'm not trying to say boo-hoo poor me,
    be nice I'll commit suicide.
    I hope people understand where I'm coming from as I find it hard to explain things.

If you are easily offended tho why do you come back to places where you could encounter this

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement