Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Booster pump keeps kicking in for no reason

• 05-02-2014 11:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30

Hey, we have a booster pump in the hot press and recently it came on and stayed on permanently, we had to turn it off and on manually at the wall with the power switch.

That problem kind of solved itself somehow and we can leave the pump switched on at the wall now, but every 60 seconds or so the pump kicks in for a few seconds.

What could be causing this? Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭LIFFY FISHING

Make and model ?, any pics?

• Registered Users Posts: 30 whats_up

Hi, it's a monsoon brand pump, no pics but it looks a lot like this https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQk5VLL6Is307CzNNMTPY0fJOe2H5RgvBOUUwr8ony7iMcnzUAA
    It also has an air pressure tank just above the pump hooked up to the two pipes either side of it

• Registered Users Posts: 31 3pigs

whats_up wrote: »
    Hey, we have a booster pump in the hot press and recently it came on and stayed on permanently, we had to turn it off and on manually at the wall with the power switch.

That problem kind of solved itself somehow and we can leave the pump switched on at the wall now, but every 60 seconds or so the pump kicks in for a few seconds.

What could be causing this? Thanks!
    i.d say you have a leak

I had a look around and there doesn't seem to be one. Could whatever have caused it to be on constantly before be affecting it now still but less?

Thanks for the replies!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭sawdoubters

look for float switch that turns it in

• Advertisement

The hot water tank seems to be a sealed unit, we are in an apartment so I guess cold is from the main tank in the building

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

One of the most common causes of that model pump kicking on for short bursts is a slight drip on a tap, a mixer or the ball cock in a toilet cistern.
    If you have valves on the outlets pipes from the pump close them, if the noise stops then you have a slight leak somewhere. If it does not stop then the non-return valves on the pump need changing. Also worth checking is the air pressure in the expansion vessel, it should be 0.9 bar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,839 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Was only at one the other day. Small plastic shavings and no filter on the inlet were the cause!

Thanks guys, I will have a look at the taps and cisterns now. The plumber was saying it might be debris in an inlet valve and would be the cause of the previous non-stop running of the pump.

the air tank is at 1.1 bar by the way according to my bike pump

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 871 ✭✭✭TPM

could also be the flow switch on the pump, have seen the magnets break up in a few monsoon pumps recently.
    but I generally find it to be the ball cock in the toilet cistern.

• Advertisement
Advertisement