Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

flue liner

• 05-02-2013 9:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭

hi, im in the process of installing a stratford eco boiler stove. i had planned to insert a 6 inch flexible flue into the chimney which is already lined with 8 inch clay pots, ive heard this would be against building regs but i cant afford to remove the clay pots so was gona go ahead anyway. i have a pretty good draw on my chimney and it said on the stratford website that if this was the case that a flue liner would further increase the draw and possibly cause the stove to overfire, should i install it anway? also wondering if anyone can recommend a proper stove installer in donegal? any advice GREATLY appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭Robbie.G

The proper thing to do us to line the chimney.A chimney works best when properly sized.6 inch flexi liner is the correct size some people will tell you that you need to back fill with vermiculite but its not nessesary as its impossible to back fill completely around the liner the original clay liners will act as insulation as they are

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭btb

Where does it say it would be against building regs to line a flue with a flexi flue liner?
    It is good practice to have the flue diameter the same size as the outlet of the stove, prevents over firing. This is achieved by using a flexi flue liner backfilled with vermiculate. It also reduces the cooling of the flue gasses, reducing the buildup of tar in the chimney. It also makes sweeping chimney easier.

I'm no expert, just have done the research.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭johnytwentyten

if i install the liner will that also mean that when i clean the chimney il be removing the soot from the stove itself? seen some diagrams where they install a soot door at the back of the fireplace opening, dont think this would work for me. this is where i seen the point about building regs http://chimneysolutions.ie/flexible-steel-lining must point out that only against regs if installing liner in clay lined chimney

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭shane0007

if i install the liner will that also mean that when i clean the chimney il be removing the soot from the stove itself? seen some diagrams where they install a soot door at the back of the fireplace opening, dont think this would work for me. this is where i seen the point about building regs http://chimneysolutions.ie/flexible-steel-lining must point out that only against regs if installing liner in clay lined chimney

Your are misreading! A chimney by Regulation must have a liner, but there are many types of liners. It is not against regs to install a flexible liner within a clay liner.

You must also properly clean a clay liner before installing a flexible liner for obvious reasons.

ok, oops:all the better, thanks for the info, flue liner it is ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭dathi

building regs part j table 2 size of flues open fire 194 mm, closed appliance up to 20 kw rated output burning bituminous coal 150 mm, closed appliance above 30 kw and up to 45 kw output 175 mm . the website quoted was a bit misleading as they didn't specify that they were talking about open fires and not stoves. so depending on the out put of your stove you can line it with either 150 mm or 175 mm.

great info dathi, my stove will have a six inch opening so i will be able to go with the 150mm? its a 20kw stove so sounds about right

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Merch

how high does the liner have to go up?

Merch wrote: »
    how high does the liner have to go up?
    You cannot connect a flexi liner directly to a stove you need a connecting flue pipe ideally 600mm long.The liner is pushed down the chimney from the roof connects to the flue pipe and is finished at the chimney pot with a cowl

Ok, was wondering, I was looking at some inset stoves so they would fit into the existing space with out kangoing stuff out (the type with a door, but not the back boiler type) to replace the open gas fire as its not used. I was thinking of just getting one to burn logs, to give a small bit of added heat to the living room and possibly the room above, but also for the tidier look.and stop the gale going up it.
    I had a look at the info on the boxes and they dont seem to suggest a flue is needed to go all the way up, just a certain amount.
    Im not even sure if it would be possible to get a solid flue of 600mm or even less up my chimney as there is a bit of an angle back the way it goes to the chimney, the chimney effectively goes up the outside of the house (maybe not great design as I think it might allow heat out than keep it in the house all the way up the chimney).

• Advertisement

With insert stoves it's nearly impossible to fit a 600mm connecting flue pipe.In those cases I get a pipe made up as long as possible.Measure up to the gather unit (that's where the clay liner starts) and order a pipe that distance.If you connect flexi straight into stove it won't last as there is too much heat at that point even though a good flexi is rated for 600c.Its your choice if you don't want to line the complete chimney I'm only stating what has to be done to comply with building regs.

Robbie.G wrote: »
    With insert stoves it's nearly impossible to fit a 600mm connecting flue pipe.In those cases I get a pipe made up as long as possible.Measure up to the gather unit (that's where the clay liner starts) and order a pipe that distance.If you connect flexi straight into stove it won't last as there is too much heat at that point even though a good flexi is rated for 600c.Its your choice if you don't want to line the complete chimney I'm only stating what has to be done to comply with building regs.

Personally I'd prefer to have the whole thing lined as the chimney backs onto a bedroom, but I'm wondering how much lining the whole chimney would cost, that might be the crux of whether it will be affordable/worth it.
    I didnt realise the regulations required it, I was going by the installation instructions I saw on a few stove packagings, they seemed to suggest only a few metres was required at max.

The regs don't state that you have to line a chimney once you fit a stove its just that it makes it more efficient.There are currently very few regs governing stoves.As you say that in some stove instructions you can fit to the way they say the main thing to remember is no 90degree bends allowed in solid fuel and no horizontal run of pipe longer that 150mm.There are hundreds of threads covering stoves here I hope some of this is of some help to you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭shane0007

The regs don't state that you have to line a chimney once you fit a stove its just that it makes it more efficient.There are currently very few regs governing stoves.As you say that in some stove instructions you can fit to the way they say the main thing to remember is no 90degree bends allowed in solid fuel and no horizontal run of pipe longer that 150mm.There are hundreds of threads covering stoves here I hope some of this is of some help to you
    I'm afraid they do say just that. Most people confuse the words chimney & flues. You can fit a flue into a chimney but you cannot fit a chimney into a flue!
    The regs state you cannot used an unlined chimney & it must be lined with liners such as clay, flexible, etc.

shane0007 wrote: »
    I'm afraid they do say just that. Most people confuse the words chimney & flues. You can fit a flue into a chimney but you cannot fit a chimney into a flue!
    The regs state you cannot used an unlined chimney & it must be lined with liners such as clay, flexible, etc.

Sorry Shane I was referring to clay lined chimneys of course an unlined chimney has to be done or if your existing chimney liners are cracked broken or fail a smoke test.

robbie stoves have to comply with j1 j2 j3 and j5 of the building regs so to say that there are few regs is incorrect

First of all we are talking about solid fuel stoves so J1 & J2 is all that concerns us
    J3 covers Gas &J5 covers Oil storage tanks
    You forgot to mention Part F ventilation
    All these have to be taken into account I was commenting on one particular item
    How many stoves are not fitted to building regs my guess is about 70 percent.

i was quoting the "requirements" of the building regs j3 is protection of buildings j5 is definition for this part. not the sections 3 and 5 the sections are the technical guidance and show how you can comply with the regs but the actual reg is in the grey box at the begining of each building reg book ie j1 to j5 with j4 dealing with oil storage thats why i left that one out as we were talking about a stove.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭Simplicius

If a chimney is already lined with traditional clay pots, 8" and we are using a multi fuel stove. What are the real advantages to a Flue liner. It seems to be belt and braces to me. you can control suction woth the sotve, cleaning- well it stilll needs annual cleaning with or without.

please advise?

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭deeperblue11

You cannot connect a flexi liner directly to a stove you need a connecting flue pipe ideally 600mm long.The liner is pushed down the chimney from the roof connects to the flue pipe and is finished at the chimney pot with a cowl

hi there. why cant you connect the flexi to the stove?????? i fitted an inset stove today, 5kw output, and because of the shape of the chimney i could not connect the rigid flue. i have a 45 connected to the back of the inset stove and then i connected an adapter to it and then the flexi flue. will this not do???
    regards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 74 ✭✭DenisCork

hi there. why cant you connect the flexi to the stove?????? i fitted an inset stove today, 5kw output, and because of the shape of the chimney i could not connect the rigid flue. i have a 45 connected to the back of the inset stove and then i connected an adapter to it and then the flexi flue. will this not do???
    regards.

Even though the installation instructions showed this as a suitable method none of the flexi manufacturers will stand over this as the flexi will get too hot and possibly burn out.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Audrey001

Can someone let me know the most cost effective way of being able to use my open fires without having them reclined. I.e. Is there a flexi flu for open fires and if so how so can I get them sorted just looking for a safe but cost effective way of being able to use them again. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Audrey001

Ps I don't want to use a stove fire. Thanks

Advertisement