Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Would you pay to post on Boards.ie?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Scruffles

If we did have to pay a nominal sum to gain access to a full boards service, a 10 euro once off or whatever, it would drastically cut down on the amount of annoying re-reg trolls who infect the place with their idiocy daily.
    QFT,have seen this happen on many sites who switched to paid only use.
    am curently a member on a very well monitored social networking site for people with learning [intelectual] disability which charges five pound per year,we never have trolls though we do get a sick wannabe on there.

used to be a member of a major UK based equestrian forum,they originaly were like boards; had a sub option there but it wasnt needed,for some reason they were a regular target for sockpuppeting phailtrolls and they really needed to do something; so with the easy subscription option of vbulletin they created a system where it was needed before any board coud be accessed-bar a few which guests were allowed to read,as to give a quick idea of the forum and people on it.
    it stopped the troll problem overnight but it also ended in some members leaving because they didnt want to pay.

another forum have been on with a sub option was a hacking one,it opened up most of the site by having a sub however there was a lot of little blackhat shts on it who were using the CC numbers they stole to pay for the sub,this allowed many of them to sockpuppet as well.
    trolls practicaly ran that forum by using the charge back option if they were banned from the site which stripped the admin of his only income,because of this sort of blackmail he only banned people long after everyone else woud have done it.

making sites subscription only at a accessible cost is a great idea,am all for it if it stops 'people with serious issues and a lack of personal responsibility' from being able to spread their vile bullyish personality everywhere.

wish people woudnt assume its only youngens who get cyber bullied,its a big issue in the adult disability community,especialy towards those with pyschiatric disability, and those of us with intelectual disability; to the point that it has long been a publisced concern to mencap.
    we are widely the choice of target of many a online bully as many of us do not have the expressive,functioning and processing skills to deal with it.

making everyone pay the government or ISPs to post is very wrong,they are just exploiting people under the guise of it protecting people from being emotionaly /mentaly exploited,hypocritical no?
    if anyone shoud be paid it shoud be the individual sites used so it can pay for their upkeep,the likes of boards dont run on some ancient celeron powered shared servers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭joe swanson

definitely not... more of a nosey browser than a poster so not worth it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,316 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

They'll have the claw my internets from my cold dead hands.

I hope they don't make fraping illegal. Next they'll be telling me I can't stick post-its with kick me on my co-workers backs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭Fromthetrees

Information and conversation has and always should be free.

Right now, boards makes money and the users on boards get information and have conversation for free, everyone wins.

The government has no right to come and interfere with this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭irish bloke

Scruffles wrote: »
    QFT,have seen this happen on many sites who switched to paid only use.
    am curently a member on a very well monitored social networking site for people with learning [intelectual] disability which charges five pound per year,we never have trolls though we do get a sick wannabe on there.

used to be a member of a major UK based equestrian forum,they originaly were like boards; had a sub option there but it wasnt needed,for some reason they were a regular target for sockpuppeting phailtrolls and they really needed to do something; so with the easy subscription option of vbulletin they created a system where it was needed before any board coud be accessed-bar a few which guests were allowed to read,as to give a quick idea of the forum and people on it.
    it stopped the troll problem overnight but it also ended in some members leaving because they didnt want to pay.

another forum have been on with a sub option was a hacking one,it opened up most of the site by having a sub however there was a lot of little blackhat shts on it who were using the CC numbers they stole to pay for the sub,this allowed many of them to sockpuppet as well.
    trolls practicaly ran that forum by using the charge back option if they were banned from the site which stripped the admin of his only income,because of this sort of blackmail he only banned people long after everyone else woud have done it.

making sites subscription only at a accessible cost is a great idea,am all for it if it stops 'people with serious issues and a lack of personal responsibility' from being able to spread their vile bullyish personality everywhere.

wish people woudnt assume its only youngens who get cyber bullied,its a big issue in the adult disability community,especialy towards those with pyschiatric disability, and those of us with intelectual disability; to the point that it has long been a publisced concern to mencap.
    we are widely the choice of target of many a online bully as many of us do not have the expressive,functioning and processing skills to deal with it.

making everyone pay the government or ISPs to post is very wrong,they are just exploiting people under the guise of it protecting people from being emotionaly /mentaly exploited,hypocritical no?
    if anyone shoud be paid it shoud be the individual sites used so it can pay for their upkeep,the likes of boards dont run on some ancient celeron powered shared servers.

Jesus, I hate long posts....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Dwork

Nah. But how about after 1000 posts, they pay you? Say €1 a post? People look at Boards like they look at TV. It's entertainment. In this case, it's free. Fcuk off and pay per view. My views are well bankable. IMO anyway.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

ToadVine wrote: »
    Just wonderin' ... would you still post here if you had to pay a fee per post?

If not, why not? If so, how much would you pay?

This comes from this

That idea is so mindblowingly dumb.

The internet is inherently international. It's multijurisdictional. If the site is hosted outside of Ireland there's very little they can do to enforce payment.

It's only people who know absolutely nothing about how websites function and work that could make such an absurd suggestion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,806 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Would I pay? No chance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

Pay? To be abused by mods? Are you kidding me?

<---pays this months subscription.

• Advertisement
Advertisement