Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

HEA subsidized masters

• 09-12-2014 7:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭

Hi, I am applying for a Msc and i see that the cost is usually around 9000 but is reduced to 2750 euro- due to a special agrrement with HEA.

I am wondering if the reduced rate of the higher education grant (SUSI) will pay for the 2750 euro?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Sup08

Hi, I am applying for a Msc and i see that the cost is usually around 9000 but is reduced to 2750 euro- due to a special agrrement with HEA.

I am wondering if the reduced rate of the higher education grant (SUSI) will pay for the 2750 euro?

As the course is already partially funded by the HEA, you might want to check for an entitlement to grant assistance on this course.

There are two rates of grant for post-graduate studies on an approved course.
    Normal Rate
    Is a fee contribution of up to €2000 if the reckonable income is below the threshold €31,500 (0-3 dependents). There are 2 other threshold increments based on the amount of dependent children. 4 -7 and 8 or more dependents.

Then there is the top-up rate:
    This is up to €6270 if the reckonable income is below €22,703 and where a person, has income that is reckonable, is in receipt of a qualifying social welfare payment.

Student Grant Scheme 2014

14. (1) A student or a tuition student is not eligible for a grant if he or she
    already holds a grant from an awarding authority.

(2) A student or tuition student is not eligible for a grant if he or she has
    been awarded or holds any grant, scholarship, prize, allowance, bursary or award
    of similar description made from public funds in the State, or equivalent from a
    Member State, a contracting state to the EEA Agreement or the Swiss Confederation,
    in respect of the approved course being attended.

(3) The awards from public funds referred to in paragraph (2) do not include
    the following—
    (a) awards such as scholarships, prizes or bursaries, made by the institution
    being attended;
    (b) postgraduate research awards where the stipend portion of the award
    does not exceed a specified amount, which for the relevant academic
    year, is specified to be €16,000;
    (c) awards to applicants under the Student Assistance Fund or the Fund
    for Students with Disabilities;
    (d) Easter Week Scholarship Scheme;
    (e) Donogh O'Malley Scholarship Scheme;
    (f) Department of Education and Skills Third Level Bursary Schemes;
    (g) All Ireland Scholarship Scheme

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭Scrappychimow

As the course is already partially funded by the HEA, you might want to check for an entitlement to grant assistance on this course.
    Thanks, who would i ask about this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Sup08

Thanks, who would i ask about this?

You should ask the college. They can contact the HEA to see if the course is eligible for funding.

Advertisement