Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wood Fire Pit v Gas Fire Pit

• 23-05-2014 3:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭

This is probably the wrong section completely for this topic but said I'd throw it in here!! We are thinking of putting a small fire pit on a covered back deck and we're investigating what would be the best option. There are obvious concerns straight away with sparks and a roof above so we will deal with that issue by making sure there is a capture point and flu for the smoke and sparks.

The question I have here is what would be the better option wood or gas in your opinion? This would be something we'd use maybe for 3 to 4 hours a week at a weekend, I am leaning towards the thought that gas would be exceptionally expensive, give us a smaller flame but might be cleaner and safer. Wood though has the aesthetic appeal with larger flames and the crackling warmth etc. but possible more risky under a roof if there are sparks escaping from whatever chimney we put in place!

Anyway there's no right answer, here just looking for opinions if anyone has one. Thanks all.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭jack of all

I assume you will incorporate a non-combustible raised hearth/ surround to the pit, to maintain a minumum clearance from the pit to the combustible deck surface. Even then it's a dangerous proposition- sparks and embers from a wood fire can be easily carried by a breeze and come to rest on the deck or an combustibles on the deck. A wood fire is not readily controlled- if it should flare up or is left unattended there is always the risk of fire with a wood deck in close proximity. The other thing to consider is the smell, depending on conditions there can be a bit of the "smell of the camp fire" from a wood based fire pit!

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭SeanoChuinn

Yeah we'd be putting some kind of concrete base up from ground level and above timber deck level and then surrounding with fire brick or similiar. We were even considering an enclosed fire place with chimney as it wouldn't be too high considering the deck roof is only off the ground 6/7 feet. The idea behind it was that we could enjoy a fire despite the rain or whatever falling outside, have spent a long time in Canada and fire pits were one of the things we loved!! But back home rain and fire pits don't mix so well lol!!! But obviously there are a lot of concerns with rooves andwood and fires all in close proximity to each other.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭jack of all

It's a nice idea alright but the only kind of permanent outdoor fires I've seen in this country were a glorified fireplace (with raised hearth) built from masonry/ brickwork with a lined flue and a stone or concrete paved patio area to the front of it. I think your idea could work but I would tread carefully if the deck were in close proximity to the house as it it would almost certainly pose a fire risk quite different to that of a portable chimnea or BBQ and your home insurer may take a dim view in the event of a claim, howsoever caused.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭SeanoChuinn

The deck is actually a walk out deck from the house!! So it's definitely in close proximity. That's a really good point about the insurance issue, i'd never actually thought of it from their point of view!! Unfortunately I cannot post a link to an image but we may have to go with a closed fireplace as you've described which seems a lot of work!!

Advertisement