Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

18kw stove

• 17-11-2013 5:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 49

hi i just got a 18kw heat design insert boiler fitted.
    it heats the rads but gives no heat directly to the room
    is this normal?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6 paulmce

Hi there,

I too was looking at buying this stove, I hear its a company that are around for a long time and seem to have good quality stoves.

Just to clarify your question I am hearing a lot that the boiler versions will always heat the radiators first before they heat the room but are you saying it doesn't really ever put out any heat to the room?

Are you sure it is connected in the correct way, I have talked to a few people about this and people seem to have different opinions on how it should be connected.
    There are lots of people talking about the way you plumb in a boiler stove affecting the heat you get to the radiators but could this also affect the heat to the room badly if done wrong?

Anyone else here with experience with stoves know what could cause this, I'm also interested to hear?

Paul

• Registered Users Posts: 49 xrob

Hi Paul
    after trying every type of fuel and every setting there is no change.
    i have even turned rads off the heat is no were near the heat the oil heating gives.
    if you buy the same stove i would be interested to see how you get on.
    i should have seen it working before i bought it,
    Robbie

• Registered Users Posts: 6 paulmce

Hi Rob,

Thanks for the follow up reply. I still haven't quite made the decision on which one yet but I'm going mad trying to figure out which one to go for, everyone seems to have a story about why their make is the best and saying how bad other brands are ;)

Did you have the boiler plumbing installed specifically for this stove or was it there already?

Have you tried calling heat design themselves to see what they say? would be interested to see what the customer service would be like..

I'm going to see someone with another make of inset stove fitted this week so will see what heat they are getting to the room and report back too, see if its just an issue with that model and not inset stoves in general.

Hi Paul
    i got nowere with the stove the house is freezing rads are always luke warm.
    i have no idea what is wrong with it i got a stronger pump it's no better.
    there is no heat into the room at all i am thinking about taking it out.
    turned out to be the worst thing i ever bought.
    sorry i have no good news but i would ask to see one working if i were you.
    then you would know what heat to expect i have nothing to go on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭gutteruu

Disclaimer: I am absolutely not a plumber but..
    xrob wrote: »
    Hi Paul
    i got a stronger pump it's no better.
    there is no heat into the room at all i am thinking about taking it out.

Are you sure your pump isn't pumping too fast. Ordinarily it is set very low and slow. If it pumps too fast, no heat.
    i have even turned rads off the heat is no were near the heat the oil heating gives.

You should always have some rads on. Can be dangerous to have stove on without at least 1 rad on to act as a heatsink. Especially if not set up correctly.

Maybe it is under powered. From one of the sites it says it provides 12kW to the water the rest to the room. That is only about 7 metres of double rads total. (2kw per 1.2m double rad) 5.7kW to a room should be loads. We have a 4kw which comfortably heats a 6m x 7m room although its not an insert.

• Advertisement

hi
    thanks for your reply i have stopped using the stove until i can get a plumber to look at it.
    there is no heat at all coming back into the room so the house is freezing.
    i might light it and turn the pump down and see if it is any better.
    the rads get hot and cool down in a very quickly.
    i can not understand why the heat seems to be going straight up the chimney.
    i will see if heat design have a plumber in west wicklow that know about this stove.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭john p mc g

hi
    thanks for your reply i have stopped using the stove until i can get a plumber to look at it.
    there is no heat at all coming back into the room so the house is freezing.
    i might light it and turn the pump down and see if it is any better.
    the rads get hot and cool down in a mvery quickly.
    i can not understand why the heat seems to be going straight up the chimney.
    i will see if heat design have a plumber in west wicklow that know about this stove.

Is the baffle ln the top of stove to dtop heat going directly up the chimney could be missing

hi i turned the pump down a for some reason the rads are heating we have a small bit of heat into the room.
    the baffle is there not 100% if it is fitted right.
    turning down the pump has made a huge difference anyone know why?

Water was flowing too fast through the boiler. Doesn't get a chance to heat up before moving into rads. Anyone I have ever seen was set at its lowest setting. Almost silent. I would check your pipe stat is working properly aswell and so its not just pumping constant which is cooling the rads quickly.

hi
    i have turned my pump down to 1 is this ok ?
    the house is much warmer now thank you for the advice

• Advertisement

1 sounds right. All ones I've seen are 1-3 and 1 is the usual setting.

Glad its helping.

rads are roasting now can't believe the difference only one at the back not heating .
    i can live with that

• Registered Users Posts: 17 entersandlady

Hi Xrob,

Does it heat your room now??

I was looking at the 18kw myself. the room is 5.2Mt x 4Mt x 2.7Mt(high)

Hi Xrob,

Does it heat your room now??

I was looking at the 18kw myself. the room is 5.2Mt x 4Mt x 2.7Mt(high)

Hi
    i have a heat design stove worst thing i ever bought.
    am in the small claims court at the minute.

Feck!!!! Ok - not going to go with that one so!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7 raymray

Feck!!!! Ok - not going to go with that one so!!!!

Hi i have one of these Heat design 18kw and it works great i installed it at Xmas.

Hi
    i have a heat design stove worst thing i ever bought.
    am in the small claims court at the minute.
    Whats Wrong with it ??

Hi ray,

Does it good heat to the room??? My room would be about 5.2mt x 4mt wide x 2.7mt high??

Hi ray,

Does it good heat to the room??? My room would be about 5.2mt x 4mt wide x 2.7mt high??

Hi No Back boiler stove gives Great heat to the room. It is 18kw but that mostly goes to heat water. But all my ground floor is heated by it no problem. My sitting room witch the stove is in is heated by the heating and the stove more control that way. my room before used to say 19deg on the stat now it runs at 22. Hope that answers your question

Advertisement