Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Atlantis [BBC - UK]

• 08-09-2013 1:31pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭

Looks lush!....did they re-use the sets from Rome? :P

Anyone notice the doctor from DS9?....Alexander Siddig, who renamed himself Siddig El Fadil in later seasons. He's a bit typecast as the Arab....but i have seen some of his stuff and he's turned into a pretty darn good actor and was excellent in Syriana and Cairo Time.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 9,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Anyone notice the doctor from DS9?....Alexander Siddig, who renamed himself Siddig El Fadil in later seasons.]

Other way around. Renamed to Alexander Siddig because nobody could pronounce his name.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,992 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

trailer http://www.tvwise.co.uk/2013/09/tv-trailer-bbc-ones-atlantis/ mixing in a lot of different things

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭Mister R

I'm not expecting much but I'll give it a shot, I'd imagine it will be predictable BBC Family drama though.

I liked Robin Hood but hated Merlin so we'll see what this turns out like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,730 ✭✭✭brian_t

Atlantis starts on BBC1 on Saturday 28th September at 8.25pm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,537 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Anyone watch? Was it any good?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Patty O Furniture

Mr E wrote: »
    Anyone watch? Was it any good?

Was watching it on a -4min rewinded, had to make a cuppa to sit down it, looked ok & then came the dreaded message, 'insufficient space on hard disk to rewind' :mad: went to make something stronger :)
    So i don't know how it ended?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,307 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I watched since it had the Merlin/Doctor Who slot. Was enjoyable. May even be classed as cheesy.
    Didn't know what it would be about but seems it's going to be mostly based around Greek history and mythology.

The main characters are Jason(who'll probably team with a a certain group of Argonauts at some point), Hercules(out of shape and played by Mark Addy and Pythagorous("The triangle guy"). They work well together and play well off each other.

This week they took on the minotaur and next week they meet
    Medusa

I'll keep watching and see how the story plays out. Seeds are being sown for a bigger story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Its crap in a great self-aware kind of crap. Think of it as an antidote to reality. I'm sure he'll bump into Leonardo next week. The lad off DS9 is doing the king in this and the Arab fella in Leo...so who knows.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

CastorTroy wrote: »
    I watched since it had the Merlin/Doctor Who slot. Was enjoyable. May even be classed as cheesy.
    Didn't know what it would be about but seems it's going to be mostly based around Greek history and mythology.

I think it can definitely be classed as cheesy and as someone with a degree in Greek and Roman Civilisation I can confirm that it is based around Greek mythology in the very loosest sense.

Personally, I thought it was awful, but I may have gone in with too high expectations. I'll tune in next week and hopefully I might enjoy it more knowing that it's a family show in the truest sense of the word. Mark Addy is always enjoyable.

FunLover18 wrote: »
    I think it can definitely be classed as cheesy and as someone with a degree in Greek and Roman Civilisation I can confirm that it is based around Greek mythology in the very loosest sense.

Anybody hoping to get a similar degree had best not watch this show for research purposes. They'd shoot the exam paper, never mind mark it.

• Advertisement

On both IMDB and Digital Spy boards people are ripping this to shreds for various reasons :pac: Haven't watched it yet myself though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Mister R wrote: »
    On both IMDB and Digital Spy boards people are ripping this to shreds for various reasons :pac: Haven't watched it yet myself though.

The writing and plotting is very poor. I was really hoping for better from Overman.

It's about a modern day bloke who gets transported back to Atlantis. Were these people expecting gritty realism with a twist of profound deep meanings ?

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭chucksandstorm

I thought the production quality looked cheap, very like Doctor Who.

I thought the production quality looked cheap, very like Doctor Who.

Same target audience, I'd imagine - and doctor Who isn't cheap to produce (not the modern reboot).

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Always nice to encounter a fellow classicist.
    A bit of fun on a Saturday, enjoyable and reminded me of Sinbad but with higher production values. When Jason did the Minion era bull leap over the Minotaur, that was cool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,307 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I'm a fan of the Harryhausen movies like Sinbad, Jason and Clash but I also watched Merlin, Doctor Who and Robin Hood. I don't know what people complaining about this series expected.

I watched Sky's Sinbad as well and what I think went against it was when it tried to go all dark. This was a light hearted fantasy which is aimed at all the family. It's not meant to be gritty and realistic. Seems every show is expected to be Breaking Bad, or as it's BBC, Luther.

So if you're not sure if you want to watch it or not, I'll just put it this way: Do you mind watching something that just tries to entertain without taking things too seriously? If not, go ahead. It's not life changing but there are worse ways to pass around 45 mins

CastorTroy wrote: »
    I'm a fan of the Harryhausen movies like Sinbad, Jason and Clash but I also watched Merlin, Doctor Who and Robin Hood. I don't know what people complaining about this series expected.

I watched Sky's Sinbad as well and what I think went against it was when it tried to go all dark. This was a light hearted fantasy which is aimed at all the family. It's not meant to be gritty and realistic. Seems every show is expected to be Breaking Bad, or as it's BBC, Luther.

So if you're not sure if you want to watch it or not, I'll just put it this way: Do you mind watching something that just tries to entertain without taking things too seriously? If not, go ahead. It's not life changing but there are worse ways to pass around 45 mins

That is a total cop out, various family shows can still have solid plots and developed characters. The Gilmore Girls, 7th Heaven are two examples that spring to mind of shows that were not gritty or adult that still had good scripts and interesting plots.

Just because its all round family entertainment doesn't mean it should be poorly written with cardboard acting from some young pretty people.

Also Xena was hardly mythologically accurate the entire time but they still managed to make an interesting series with some unusual plot twists and believable characters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,568 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

BBC America has renewed for a second season Source

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,730 ✭✭✭brian_t

The second series starts this Saturday at 8.30pm

• Advertisement
Advertisement